PDA

View Full Version : I found a use for monks

Orran
2009-03-08, 11:29 AM
Not monks explicitly, but monks are the most likely to have the snatch arrows feat, and that is what is important. A monk could take deflect arrows for his level 2 bonus feat and snatch arrows as his 3rd level feat, a fighter could do this faster but its just so much more insulting to do as a monk, as you'll see.

So we've all seen the hulking hurler builds on CharOp, the ones that can do 64 Quadrillion damage or whatever, I know thats for anti-osmium but are they allowed to throw that? I'm not sure, but just imagine what is essentially a mountain being picked up and hurled at a level 3 monk by a massive giant. The monk then flicks the mountain, sending it flying back towards the giant, crushing him.

Thrown weapons such as spear or axes can immediately be thrown back at the original attacker (even if it isn't your turn) or kept for later use.

This came up in a discussion with a friend and I thought it was awesome.

Connor Darkdart
2009-03-08, 11:32 AM
It would depend on the DM, as obviously it might be a tad silly that they could hold a whole "mountain", also since the boulder is larger than the monk, isn't this feat nulled? Thats what happens with Deflect Arrows (spell)

Douglas
2009-03-08, 11:37 AM
From Deflect Arrows:

Unusually massive ranged weapons and ranged attacks generated by spell effects can’t be deflected.

From Snatch Arrows:

When using the Deflect Arrows feat you may catch the weapon instead of just deflecting it.

The Hurler's boulder most definitely counts as "unusually massive", so this doesn't work. Well, unless you have the epic feat Exceptional Deflection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#exceptionalDeflection), anyway. Add Reflect Arrows and you can even throw it back despite not having anywhere near enough strength to even pick it up.

Spiryt
2009-03-08, 11:38 AM
It would depend on the DM, as obviously it might be a tad silly that they could hold a whole "mountain", also since the boulder is larger than the monk, isn't this feat nulled? Thats what happens with Deflect Arrows (spell)

Well, the whole hulking hurler builds are "tad silly" in the first place :smalltongue:

Orran
2009-03-08, 11:44 AM
Ah thats what I get for checking snatch arrows but not deflect arrows, thought it was a little too awesome to work, however it's a nice idea. Exceptional Deflection sounds promising though.

Fan
2009-03-08, 11:54 AM
You can still do it at first level despite the feats being epic.
Take 2 flaws
Be a Old (Age catagory for dragons.) Dragonwrought (makes you a dragon) kobold.... And with the Old age catagory dragons REGARDLESS of HD being able to take epic feats as stated in Draconomicon, and the specific trumps general rule... You can take them both if you dump everything into Dex, and wis. (And take the great wisdom, and dexterity feats....) you'll be a one trick pony, but it works.

Orran
2009-03-08, 12:20 PM
Now thats the thinking I've come to expect from the playground. Now instead of a level 3 monk, its a ridiculously old kobold monk, I think thats about as awesome as it could of been.

Lorn
2009-03-08, 12:25 PM
Now thats the thinking I've come to expect from the playground. Now instead of a level 3 monk, its a ridiculously old kobold monk, I think thats about as awesome as it could of been.
Dude..

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/faytoz/files/2008/08/yoda.jpg

You're onto something here.

Fan
2009-03-08, 12:48 PM
You'll also have a crazy AC so nothing can touch you in meele.
(You'd have a 21 touch AC..)
And if we go to 3rd level you can also take the infinite deflection feat, so you can do it as many times as he can attack per round.
(If the hulking hurler guy somehow enchants a mountian to be returning he could do that about 5 times a turn.))

Drider
2009-03-08, 12:55 PM
You'll also have a crazy AC so nothing can touch you in meele.
(You'd have a 21 touch AC..)
And if we go to 3rd level you can also take the infinite deflection feat, so you can do it as many times as he can attack per round.
(If the hulking hurler guy somehow enchants a mountian to be returning he could do that about 5 times a turn.))

As many times as the kobold can attack per round...does that count flurry/dual wielding/natural attacks? If the hulking hurler can enchant a mountain, I see no reason to keep the same person DMing.

Fan
2009-03-08, 01:16 PM
Um, infinte deflection+ the exceptional deflection allows him to reflect it back at him as many times as the guy can throw it.
Also, Monks are under powered as is, and this is the only thing this guy can deal with aside from ray casters, and archers.
Also, this is a RAW discussion. No sane DM will allow Dragonwrought epic feats simply because its too crazy broken.