PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Gleiphir Steam Titan

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 02:00 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Monster1.jpg

Gleiphir Steam Titan
LN Large Construct (Steam-powered)
Class none
Init: +7; Senses: Darkvision 60', low-light vision, true seeing; Listen +27, Spot +27
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Ignan, Aquan, Celestial
[hr]
AC 30; touch 12; flat-footed 27
(-1 size, +3 Dex, +18 natural)
HP 123 (17 HD); DR 20/starmetal
Immune construct immunities
Resist fire 20, cold 20, electricity 10
SR 32
Fort +5 Ref +8 Will +10
Weakness steam-powered weaknesses, construct weaknesses
[hr]
Speed 65 ft. (13 squares); climb 15'
Melee scissor +20/+10 (1d6+10, 20/x3)
and
blade +15/+5 (2d6+10 plus 1d6 electricity, 19-20/x2 plus 1d10 electricity)
Ranged 5 bolts +22/+17/+12/+7/+2 (1d6+5 plus 1d6 fire, 19-20/x2 plus 1d10 fire)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
BAB +12; Grp +26
Attack Options Improved Grab, Constrict, Breathe Fire, Breathe Water, Power Attack, Improved Trip, Leap Attack
Special Actions magic missile, acid arrow (6/day); resilient sphere, nondetection, wall of force (2/day) (CL 17th)
Combat Gear 30 bolts
[hr]
Abilities Str 30, Dex 16, Con --, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 10
SQ Stability, Speeding Fury, Pounce
Feats Improved InitiativeB, AlertnessB, Two-Weapon Fighting1, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting3, Improved Grapple6, Improved Trip9, Power Attack12, Leap Attack15

Skills Balance +23, Climb +38, Jump +30, Listen +27, Search +24, Spot +27
Advancement as construct; Favored Class none
Possessions combat gear
CR 17

The Heliosundians' most recent development is the Gleiphir Steam Titan, a construct which arguably turned the tide of their war with Gressent in their favor. Large, quick, and deadly, these constructs are veritable death machines. Perhaps most terrifying is the way they launch themselves forward in combat, landing in front of their opponents and unleashing a flurry of blows, though by no means is that their only form of attack. These constructs also have a variety of spell-like abilities and two different breath weapons that they use judiciously on their opponents that remain out of their reach.

The Gleiphir Steam Titan stands nearly eight feet tall and weighs almost two thousand pounds. Its left arm is a vicious blade, while its right is a gigantic pincer. Its eyes glow with malicious fire, and it seems to stare through you. Its four legs end in sharp points that leave gaping holes in the ground behind it. Located directly underneath its eyes is a small opening from which small, quick darts shoot out, which explode upon striking.

Steam-powered Weaknesses
Like all steam-powered creatures (due to their dependencies on both fire and water), Gleiphir Steam Titan react strangely to specific spells.

Any spell with the (Fire) descriptor causes a Gleiphir Steam Titan to enter a rage (like a first-level barbarian) for 1d4 rounds. Any spell with the (Cold) descriptor affects it as a slow spell for 1d4 rounds. Any spell that dispels, supresses, or breaks magical enchantments causes the Gleiphir Steam Titan to shut down for the duration of the spell (or 1d4+1 rounds, if the duration is instantaneous). Mordenkainen's disjunction causes a Gleiphir Steam Titan to become nonfunctional.

Breathe Fire (Sp)

A Gleiphir Steam Titan can, once every 1d4 rounds, breathe a ball of fire. Treat this as a fireball spell, caster level 17th.

Breathe Water (Sp)

A Gleiphir Steam Titan can, once every 1d4 rounds, emit a jet of cold water. Treat this as a polar ray spell, caster level 17th.

Bolt

A Gleiphir Steam Titan carries a quiver of 30 bolts in its gullet. These bolts deal 1d6+5 damage plus 1d6 fire damage. Like a flaming burst weapon, they explode on a critical hit, dealing an additional 1d10 fire damage.

These bolts have a range increment of 50 feet.

Improved Grab

To use this ability, a Gleiphir Steam Titan must hit a creature at least one size smaller than itself with its scissor attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Constrict

A Gleiphir Steam Titan deals 3d10+10 damage with a successful grapple check.

Stability (Ex)

Due to its four-legged stance, a Gleiphir Steam Titan is difficult to knock over. It gets a +4 bonus to all rolls to resist bull rushes, trips, and overrun attempts.

Speeding Fury (Su)

A Gleiphir Steam Titan adds 1 to its initiative roll each round of combat beyond the first. For instance, a Gleiphir Steam Titan that has been in combat for three rounds would get a +3 to its initiative, while one that had been in combat for seven would get a +7.

Pounce (Ex)

If a Gleiphir Steam Titan charges an opponent, it can make a full attack, including both blade attacks.

chaiyo
2006-08-03, 03:26 PM
This creature causes me to have four thoughts:

1) Whenever you've tried to italicize, it's resulted in [ i ]text". I'd imagine that this wasn't your intention.

2) This seems awfully quick, even for a large quadroped. I'd suggest taking it down to an even sixty, unless there's some sort of other purpose for this. While on the subject of speed, perhaps you should give Speed Up a more...creative name. Like Momentum, possibly, unless that's already taken.

3) I was going to say that the breath weapons were a little overpowered, but then I remembered spell turning and the Steam-powered weaknesses.

4) I just realized that the new stat blocking doesn't have an environment entry.

This looks like something I'd really like to use, and will take steps to make it seem like I'm just not trying to kill the PCs.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 03:34 PM
This creature causes me to have four thoughts:

1) Whenever you've tried to italicize, it's resulted in [ i ]text". I'd imagine that this wasn't your intention.

2) This seems awfully quick, even for a large quadroped. I'd suggest taking it down to an even sixty, unless there's some sort of other purpose for this. While on the subject of speed, perhaps you should give Speed Up a more...creative name. Like Momentum, possibly, unless that's already taken.

3) I was going to say that the breath weapons were a little overpowered, but then I remembered spell turning and the Steam-powered weaknesses.

4) I just realized that the new stat blocking doesn't have an environment entry.

This looks like something I'd really like to use, and will take steps to make it seem like I'm just not trying to kill the PCs.
1: I'll fix that

2: It's supposed to be terribly, frighteningly fast. //shrug.

I was thinking about giving it the cheetah's dash ability.

And yeah, Speed Up needs a better name, but I think Momentum is taken. Perhaps "Speeding Fury"?

3: Remember, CR 17.

4: Yeah, it's usually taken care of in the "explanation of the creature" bit.

As for using it, go right ahead. There's a few others similar to it (but weaker and slower) I've posted on this forum: the Cheval, the Steamknight, and the Steamdraken.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-30, 11:55 PM
Since I don't feel like shouting again... *points at quote*

Must I repeat myself? *Sigh* I suppose I must. I wish you'd stop doing this. It strains the throat. Ahem:

NEW FORMAT! NEW FORMAT! NEW FORMAT! NEW FORMAT! NEW FORMAT! ;D

Change it to the old version, and you'll get a nice shiny "yes" vote.

C'mon, Fax. I changed my Zhamachs (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11543009 28;start=0#0) to the old format... You wouldn't be trying to back out of your own rules (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11557461 87;start=0#0), would you?

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-05, 05:51 PM
Snce I don't feel like shouting again... *points at quote*

I guess that's the only real reason not to vote yes, excellent picture by the way.

Though it seems to be like the beathe water ability would be more like a decanter of endless water varient...... But polar ray works too.

If you change the format (like i guess it's supposed to be) then yes.....