PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need ideas/posts for my world's bulletin boards please!

newbDM
2009-03-09, 04:21 AM
I run my multiverse in a sandbox styles, and I have taken the idea from a video game (was it FF Tactics? Been a while...) to place a bulletin board at each permanent settlement.

http://www.freewebs.com/celestialkin/bulletinboards.htm

On these bulletin boards I have placed things such possible plot hooks, possible items for sale (some with possible plot hooks connected to them), and possible jobs for PCs to take. I also add some posts which give fluff, background, and personality to the settlement. I have even allowed players to post bulletins if they ask, and two have recruited NPCs by this method.

I might be starting up my campaign world again, so I want to expand these before it does. In addition I have jumped the world elven years, so it needs tweaking.

I usually add bulletin boards after PCs visit a new settlement, but I just realized that I should start preparing cities' boards ahead of time, since it might become the first thing players send their characters too.

Can you guys/gals please give me some suggestions for bulletin board posts? Perhaps a short plothook/adventure idea with some (or perhaps even some for longer adventurers)?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Note: If you want a bit more information on a particular settlement, you can look it up in the (sadly not complete) Settlement page.

Note 2: Evilos and Crystal Waters+Serandia are major trade port cities in my world (the only ones unlocked by PCs/players so far) if that matters.
Bof-dunn is an Clanless (aka outcast) dwarf community.

Buzzsaw Land is a community run by a Half-Chaos Dragon Goblin who got filthy rich beating up my old PCs/players in a coliseum battle and due to his level/power the surrounding boundary with the plane of chaos (aka Limbo) is deteriorating. With his earnings he made a huge castle, a giant statue of himself next to hit, and gathered a village of savage races to farm and make a settlement.

p.s. Anyone know of a good midi song that would fit well for this page?

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-09, 04:27 AM
I can see this song asworking somehow, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1yQoglN98c . Maybe you could put wanted posters and information on scientific/magical developments on the boards?

Kris Strife
2009-03-09, 04:38 AM
Lost: One ring of power, if found contact Sauron Sarumon Sauron at 2244733393.

More seriously
Missing: My cat, Fluffy. Tawny, enjoys sunny places. (Have it turn out to be a lion, make the players gjave to get it home alive and unharmed.)

The City Guard needs you!

Bob's Pub and Wool Clothing Emporium: Try the mutton!

Now Recruiting Matt's martial arts acadamy: Learn to be a monk. Please?

George's Quarterstaff Shop: Fastest service in town!

newbDM
2009-03-09, 08:33 AM
I can see this song asworking somehow, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1yQoglN98c . Maybe you could put wanted posters and information on scientific/magical developments on the boards?

Thanks for the idea. Next time a player/PC messes up in a settlement in a big way I'll do it.

And thanks for the link, but I was hoping for something without vocals and more backgroundish.

Lost: One ring of power, if found contact Sauron Sarumon Sauron at 2244733393.

More seriously
Missing: My cat, Fluffy. Tawny, enjoys sunny places. (Have it turn out to be a lion, make the players gjave to get it home alive and unharmed.)

The City Guard needs you!

Bob's Pub and Wool Clothing Emporium: Try the mutton!

Now Recruiting Matt's martial arts acadamy: Learn to be a monk. Please?

George's Quarterstaff Shop: Fastest service in town!

Brilliant!

I used them all. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Well, all but the first one...

Dyllan
2009-03-09, 08:59 AM
Not all of them should be adventure hooks. It's much more realistic if some of them aren't really targeted at the party.

Tired of working for a few copper a week? Want to help the heroes of the land without risking your life? Then we have the job for you, sell second-hand adventuring equipment. Contact Kale at Kale's Discount Maces and Adventuring Supplies.

(this is basically a pyramid scheme designed to pawn off mass quantites of non-masterwork equipment taken from mooks that adventurers' killed)

Lost kitten (and it's really a kitten).

Assistants wanted: preference given to those with high tolerance for heat. Apply at Al Alchemy.

(Al is setting up a alchemist fire factory in his lab... and has had a couple of mishaps)

Sailor/swordfighter seeking work liberating treasure on the high seas. Able to hold breath for 10 minutes. Ask at the inn for Threepwood.

(okay, if you don't get the reference, nevermind)