PDA

View Full Version : Playing Baldur's Gate in BG2's engine? (Tutu and Trilogy mods)

konfeta
2009-03-09, 05:01 AM
I keep hearing about the Tutu and Baldur's Gate Trilogy mods with basic pros and cons lists of each, but the comparisons I keep finding seem year+ old.

Anyone tried one of these mods and knows which one is overall better as of right now? From what I understand, Trilogy gives more continuity but it seems to break the game somewhat (XP shenanigans, dialogue breaking, etc.), is that still the case?

To put it in another way, do you get to transfer your character from BG1 to BG2 with Tutu?

Anyone has experience with recent versions of both and can offer an in depth comparison with relevant bits (what does each mods break and how badly does it impact the gameplay/storyline expirience?)? I haven't yet played the BG series, so a spoilerless comparison would be best.

Avilan the Grey
2009-03-09, 05:11 AM
All I can say is that I desperately tried to get Tutu to work (I had a friends really old IBM laptop for a while, I installed W2k on it and it ran wonderfully (it was one of those "made fo XP" computers that came out with only 256Mb and a 10Gb harddrive. He had installed Win98 on it instead but I think W2k was the perfect compromise). Anyway, for some reason Tutu just wouldn't work (I just got error codes trying to use it).

Btw might I suggest "Dungeon-Be-Gone"? It gives you the option of skipping the entire starter dungeon, and get all the XP and stuff anyway.

arguskos
2009-03-09, 05:15 AM
I prefer BGT. Tutu was just a pain to get working, and was the same thing as BGT... which was a single install and calls it done. :smallwink:

Also, I totally love BGT. Give it a shot, I highly recommend it.

Om
2009-03-09, 06:29 AM
To put it in another way, do you get to transfer your character from BG1 to BG2 with Tutu?Of course. In the same way that you would if you playing without any mod at all. All Tutu does is allow you to play BG1 with the BG2 engine

I had no problems whatsoever with EasyTutu (http://www.usoutpost31.com/easytutu/). Very easy to install and no issues with play. It works with "Dungeon-Be-Gone" (but if you're playing for the first time then you'll not need this)

Shikton
2009-03-09, 07:31 AM
Just get EasyTutu. Works like a charm for me, easy to install as well seeing as it comes with its own install file.