PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] Missiles of Patience

Lord_Arkaine
2006-09-04, 05:44 PM
Inspired by Planescape.

In order to make full use of this spell, it must be cast repeatedly.

First casting: Missiles of Patience cast. Deals 1 damage.
Second casting: Missiles of Patience cast. Deals 1 damage per caster level (max 10).
Third casting: Fires one missile per caster level (max 20) that deals 1 damage per caster level (max 10).

Total damage 211 if cast three times at level 20, but it's a 1st level spell. No other spell may be cast between castings and they can be no more than 2 rounds apart.

Overpowered? Yes. Adjustable? Yes. The idea is what matters, a spell that augments itself based on the number of repetitive castings.

NullAshton
2006-09-04, 06:06 PM
Shapechange into choker, cast quicked spell, regular spell, another regular spell. 211 damage each round.

EDIT: For someone at caster level 20, that is.

Loren_and_Kivsith
2006-09-04, 11:24 PM
I love the idea. A lot. There could be a lot of spells based on this concept, and it's a concept I don't think I've ever seen before. However, I have a couple suggestions.

It should probably deal one damage for the first five times being cast, and then one damage per caster level for the next five times. That would make it frustrating enough to merit it being a first level spell.

Or, wait, better idea. There could be three different spells. The first (one damage per missile) could be a first-level spell, and you'd have to cast it five times. The second (one damage per caster level per missile) could be a second-level spell, and you'd have to cast it five more times. The third one would then be a third-level spell. That gets around the issue of there not being enough first-level spell slots. And, also, that way you could continue to power it up clear to ninth level!!

Gralamin
2006-09-04, 11:28 PM
Shapechange into choker, cast quicked spell, regular spell, another regular spell. 211 damage each round.

EDIT: For someone at caster level 20, that is.

shapechange is cheese.

I like the idea, perhaps make casting it a 1 round action?

Lord_Arkaine
2006-09-04, 11:57 PM
I love the idea. A lot. There could be a lot of spells based on this concept, and it's a concept I don't think I've ever seen before. However, I have a couple suggestions.

It should probably deal one damage for the first five times being cast, and then one damage per caster level for the next five times. That would make it frustrating enough to merit it being a first level spell.

Or, wait, better idea. There could be three different spells. The first (one damage per missile) could be a first-level spell, and you'd have to cast it five times. The second (one damage per caster level per missile) could be a second-level spell, and you'd have to cast it five more times. The third one would then be a third-level spell. That gets around the issue of there not being enough first-level spell slots. And, also, that way you could continue to power it up clear to ninth level!!

Can't make it too useless. That's 11 rounds of casting, longer than most battles. Plus, that's five castings of magic missile, five castings of melf's, and 1 casting of flame arrow that could all go toward the damage instead. That's a lot of damage, and the spell should measure up especially for its time. But to go on the idea...

Wizard's Jack - Level 1 - Deals 1 damage.
Wizard's Queen - Level 2 - Deals 1d6 damage.
Wizard's King - Level 3 - Deals up to 10d6 damage.
Wizard's Ace - Level 4 - Deals up to 10d6 damage in an area.
Wizard's Court - Level 5 - If you just cast the previous four, this spell fires automatically as an immediate action. Deals Caster level squared damage.

Or how about this nifty spell?

Royal Flush - Level 7 - Sacrifice a prepared level 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 spell to cast this spell. Deals CasterLeveld6 damage to up to five targets. No Save.

JellyPooga
2006-09-05, 11:50 AM
That spell was soooo frustrating in Torment. It's naff the first few times you cast it, when it gets good (with the catapult graphic), you couldn't do anything but fire all the shots untill you'd fired them all or decided to lose the rest of the shots. Aaaargh!

Good spell though...

NullAshton
2006-09-05, 01:11 PM
Royal flush, no. Again, too powerful. 20d6 to multiple targets automatic damage? Yes please! I don't care if it burns off my spell slots, I'm sorcerer so it doesn't matter.