PDA

View Full Version : Theme music for Shackled City

Telonius
2009-03-09, 08:39 AM
I'm DMming Shackled City in a couple of weeks, and am in need of some music suggestions. My party is going to be starting out in one of the local taverns - two of the characters (halfling druid with modified Dire Toad companion, gnome cleric) know the bard (also a PC) who's going to be performing there that evening, and the other two (a dwarf artificer and a warforged warblade) will be engaged in a drinking contest in the corner.

I've talked with the Bard's player, and he'd like to play some thematic music to represent something of how the campaign is going to go. Basically, a little bit of foreshadowing for the first adventure (kidnapped citizens, abandoned halls of Jzadirune, and the events in the Malachite Fortress) and possibly some broader themes of the campaign in general. I'm racking my brain trying to come up with something for it. "Bad Moon Rising" from CCR is the only thing that's coming to mind. Does anybody have any better suggestions?

Telonius
2009-03-09, 03:30 PM
Bump. No takers? Or is Bad Moon Rising really the ultimate Shackled City music? :smallcool:

Tyrmatt
2009-03-09, 04:25 PM
I'm a big fan of Full Metal Alchemist's soundtrack when it comes to atmosphere.

Despicable Acts has a nice slow opening followed by a buildup to a minor high that suggests something horrible is about to happen to someone, Ominous Clouds suggests the PC's need to hurry to prevent some stuff happening to someone else. It also has it's share of dramatic chamber style music and even something for the bard to give an inspiring monologue over. I don't know the particular campaign so I can't help much further, but generally I bilk soundtracks from games, TV shows and whatnot with a similar bent.

Egiam
2009-03-09, 06:36 PM
I haven't played it, but see if you can find a recording of the song by Moby for the Bourne movies credits.

Thurbane
2009-03-09, 08:48 PM
I'm not that familiar with the module, but...

NIN - Happiness in Slavery

Assassin89
2009-03-09, 09:42 PM
Maybe Slam Shuffle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyJH9tmppWU) from Final Fantasy VI
Lurking in the Darkness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnEEKz0rLeM) from Final Fantasy VII

Baron Malkar
2009-03-10, 01:14 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIGtjCcdtr0):smallbiggrin:

AB
2009-03-10, 03:46 AM
IŽd suggest the Johannes Brahms` Requiem.

Why? Because all of your starting chars will die horribly (killed by gnome diseases, bugbear vampires, werebaboon-barbarians, poison traps, flying devil-bitches, uber-demons with CR "Party+5"...) and will never ever live to see the final chapter, so you`ll have plenty funerals to roleplay.

Seriously, Shackled City has its good moments, but the kill-ratio is way out.

Satyr
2009-03-10, 04:53 AM
When you look for background music, it is always a good idea to pick instrumental pieces, as texts can be rather distracting for a background track. At least, if the text is understandable.
I don't know the campaign, but I guess that you look for an urban theme, perhaps somewhat melancholic or sombre, right?

In that case, try the sundtrack of either Planescape: Torment, which should still be available as a free download.