PDA

View Full Version : Half-Halfling [race, MiTP]

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-04, 07:21 PM
Continuing with my love for Halflings

Half-halfling:

These are the product of a union between a human and halfling. They are about halfway between the two parents in size, when they are children they are often as samll as a halfling of the same age, but they grow incredible ammounts during puberty. Most are raised among Halflings rather than humans (in large cities with a mixed pop. they often live in the halfling "districts"). Humans tend to be affectionately condescending , towards them and halflings treat them as one of their own.

Racial stats:

-+2 Dex

-Small size: despite the fact they are larger than most halflings, they stil are notcieably smaller than humans

- speed of 20 ft

-Large build- when you receive a size modifier on an oppossed check, you are treated as medium if doing so would be advantageous to you. For detirmineing if a creatures specail attacks affect you also treated as medium if that is advantageous (adapted from the Jotunbrund feat from races of Faerun)

-A +2 climb, jump and listen; they retain their halfling parents natural athleticism as well as their good hearing

-Magnetic Personality: +2 on diplomacy and gather information checks; they are very likeable and mingle well with all peoples

- +4 skill points at first level and +1 at every level after first

-mixed blood: treated as both a halfling and a human in terms of qualifying for feats, PrCs and and such things.

LA:+1

Favored Class: Rogue

Sample Half-Halfling:
size/type: Small Humanoid, halfling
HD:1d8+1 (5 hp)
Init: +0
Speed: 20ft
AC: 15 (+3 Studded leather, +1 light shield, +1 size)
BAB/grapple:+1/+2
Attack:+3 longsword: 1d6+1(19-20*2) or longbow: +2; 1d6(*3)
Full attack:+3 longsword: 1d6+1(19-20*2) or longbow: +2; 1d6(*3)
Special Qualities:Powerful build
Saves:3/0/-1
Abilties: STR:13 INT10
DEX: 11 WIS: 9
CON: 12 CHA: 8

feat: power attack
Skills: Hide +4 Diplomancy +6, Listen: +5

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Enjoy!, i made this a long time ago, i think i posted it here, so there might be an error in the stat block, somewhere, but i don't think so......

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-04, 08:19 PM
I'd say they're probably a very strong +0 or a weak +1 at the moment.

Powerful build is a definate advantage - all the benefits of small and medium sizes, including being able to use the more powerful (and common) medium sized weapons. They also gain the halfling skill bonuses, for the most part, and also gain some more diplomatic bonuses. They also benefit from the human skill trait, if not the extra feat.

One thing it's missing is a favored class - I'd say bard or rogue, the two talky, skill-monkey core options.

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-04, 08:32 PM
I hope the human was the female and the halfling was the male, rather than the other way around. Ouch. :-X

kingofthemorning
2006-09-04, 08:34 PM
Anyone in there right mind would play them instead of a halfling. I agree with Gyrfalcon. Either make it more powerful for a +1 or weaker for a +0.

As for favored class, I'd go with bard. Not for anything in particular but it just seems to go together.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-04, 08:35 PM
MitP Vote: Yes.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-04, 09:45 PM
I think the LA was something i forgot to change...... also i've had the favored class their all along....right after LA, which will now be 1....

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-04, 10:21 PM
Alright. :) As a +1, I say they're a little weak, though very decently set up as a skill monkey. Perhaps give them a +2 to Dex and remove the portion of Agile (+1 on all DEX based skills...) so they don't end up with a total of +2 on all DEX based skills?

I think that'd make the race a solid +1 LA.

DMgrinder
2006-09-04, 11:41 PM
Wait. Half Halflings. Wouldn't that make then Quarterlings?

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-04, 11:46 PM

;D someone used my line!

But yeah, drop the +1 to all Dex skills and put a +2 Dex modifier and I think you're in good shape.

ghost_warlock
2006-09-04, 11:48 PM
Actually, considering that they'd probably be about half-way between a halfling and a human in size, I think they'd be "three-quarterlings"

UnrealTiger
2006-09-05, 07:55 AM
Aye, they would be Three-Quarterlings if they're the mix of Halfings and Humans, not Quarterlings. Quarterlings would be some kind of Halfling and Tiny Fey hybrid I guess :P

I agree with Gyrfalcon in that you should dump the +1 to all Dex Skills and just give them a +2 Dex increase, it just makes more sense and is less 'clunky' than the alternative. Even with that they'd still be weak for a +1 level adjustment so I say whack on a +2 Cha as well, after all they're supposed to be likeable and get on well with people.