PDA

View Full Version : how does blink work with thrown items?

Fjolnir
2009-03-09, 01:08 PM
I've been told both ways, that "once you release it, it's no longer blinking," and "because you who are blinking threw it, it is blinking when you release it and it has a 20% miss chance" which is correct and why?

Glyde
2009-03-09, 01:14 PM
I don't think that's ever clarified, so it's pretty much up to whatever DM is in charge. Personally I'd have the weapon stop blinking when you release it.

Fjolnir
2009-03-09, 01:39 PM
would ghost touch negate this penalty since the ability makes the weapon simultaneously incorporeal and corporeal or am I just an idiot for thinking that?

Falling Out
2009-03-09, 02:33 PM
Blink means Ethereal, you're standing on the Etherreal Plane like PlaneShift....not Incorpreal. To me this answers both questions:

1) It stops blinking once thrown, however, there is a chance it is thrown onto the Ethereal Plane and thus...well, its on another Plane and acts accordingly. This means it is likely not going to affect things on the Prime Plane and probably lost forever in the Ether.

2) Ghost Touch should be incorpreal only and have no affect on the Ethereal Blink. Here, I believe write-ups have been written vaguely in rules and so open to DM interpretations.

Brock Samson
2009-03-09, 11:27 PM
So how does one affect someone who's, say, using greater blink and residing purely on the ethereal plane?

ericgrau
2009-03-09, 11:30 PM
I think even if you threw something on the ethereal plane and thus lost it there, you could still walk over and pick it up. After all, you yourself are blinking back and forth between planes. But I'd think about this first b/c it basically gives players a method to chuck something with almost unlimited range through the ethereal plane. Then walk over and pick it up somewhere else. Or hide it and get it later. Etc. Dunno what kind of tricks you could pull off with that.

Fjolnir
2009-03-10, 04:06 AM
ok what about the returning quality, it would come back to your original square, is there a 20% chance that you miss it because you're not in the same plane?

Falling Out
2009-03-10, 10:11 AM
Well, if it was thrown into the ethereal plane it is ethereal, and would return as such. So, yes, you should be able to catch it if you happen to be ethereal at the moment....also, picking it up from the ethereal should work 20% of the time.

But, unless you have See Invisibility or some-such it is invisible all the time your on the material plane (80% of the time).

For fun: If something is thrown and ends up traveling onto the ethereal plane...have then roll an extra To Hit and pass them a note to declare that it hit something on that other plane. Then have a Ghost Tarrasque or some massive scary ethereal beasty constantly float after the PC for the rest of the adventure. Never let it materialize (either too dumb or does not have the ability) so every time the PC blinks to ethereal he sees massive jaws trying to swallow them all (fiat that they always miss as the PC manages to blink back). Do all this by notes.

If anyone else casts See Invisibility or Blinks - assume the beast is always around a corner, behind a wall so that the others never have line of sight. It's like the Polkaroo.

If anyone else goes ethereal or