PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Mariner (D&D 3.5)

Frog Dragon
2009-03-09, 01:13 PM
Gnome Mariners are as the name tells you, experimental one-person submarines created by the gnomes. They are sleek metallic craft, hammered into being by the hammer of a smith and the spell of a mage combined. The device is suprisingly simple and easy to control however

Gnome Mariner
Large Vehicle
Profession (Pilot)
Speed: 60ft
Maneuverability: Nautical Good
Hit Points: 60
AC: 3 (Not moving) 15 (moving)
Hardness: 10
Attacks: A gnome mariner has 25 small torpedoes inside it that are hurled out of a tube via magic.
These torpedoes deal 2d8 damage. There are two tubes and you may opt to shoot from both at the same time by accepting a -2 penalty to attack rolls on both attacks. You may also take a double move action while shooting though only in the direction you are moving towards.

A Gnome Mariner is actually in the "wrong" position when it is unattended on the water, but not submerged. when you enter a Gnome Mariner you at first are in a horizontal position until you go a bit underwater at which point you can switch to an upright position. in this position the lenght of the vehicle is two feet, while the height is nine feet. the width is four feet.
A gnome mariner is controlled by buttons and levers. Activating one is a move action-
Moving the vehicle (not turning) is controlle by feet so you may move it while doing other things. It should not count against your actions to control the propeller strenght.
Only one person that is either small or medium can manage the vehicle though two tiny creatures could perhaps do it as well. A large of bigger creature won't fit. A Gnome Mariner uses magic to never run out of air by magically filtering water into breathable air.
There's a button or level for these functions

1. Move/stop (feet)
2. Turn
3. Shoot
4. Open/Close glass hatch
5. Adjust for Small/Medium creature
6. Turn on/off front lights

If a character is not familiar with the device, a DC 14 Intelligience check may be attempted to figure out the controls (or at the DM:s discretion, an appropriate knowledge check)
You can also place a wand in the vehicle and shoot it's charges by the normal method of shooting. They must however, be targeted to a specific target and deal direct damage.

Price: 56000 gp
Weight: 400lb
Creation: Craft wondrous item. Lots of steel, Catapult Spell, Water Breathing Spell, Continual Flame Spell

The market price for the torpedoes are 5gp each.

Yeah I tried to make a submarine that might be worth is unlike the *groan* Apparatus of the Kwalish. Did I succeed? Also.

EBERROOOON!!!
As you can see, it's quite magitechy and will fit perfectly in Eberron.
I based this off the AaEG, but I made some changes to make it better fit this fast submarine.

DracoDei
2009-03-09, 04:40 PM
40 seems a bit large of a magazine for a mini-sub in military service... For adventurers it makes sense.

It needs light sources I think. Optional upgrade to echolocation with illusion display maybe.

Personally I would make the adjustments for the occupant a bit more precise (IE specific to individual not just a size-class) and require 1 hours work and a DC 10 Architecture and Engineering check.

Frog Dragon
2009-03-09, 11:40 PM
That's not quite what I'm looking for, but the lights are a good idea.
I also dropped the torpedo amount down to 25

sigurd
2009-03-10, 06:55 AM
One person subs seem too efficient for D&D gnomes. For one thing they split the party and for another if they're really made for one gnome no human will fit in them. I always imagine that D&D uses lots of manpower.

I'd make them carry two gnomes so you could have a chief mariner and sub mariner :). The extra room would make them more flexible too. How bout making them four character subs? or is that too big?

Also wouldn't a wand be simpler than torpedoes? Or are torpedoes just a must have ?

Sigurd

Frog Dragon
2009-03-10, 08:43 AM
Well I kinda like the torpedoes. Maybe there could be the option of chuckinga wand in there though.
Also I don't want to make those two person subs. And medium characters will fit in, but two smalls won't. It's the shape of the cockpit which makes it so.
Two tiny's will also fit.
Also it's Gnome-Made not necessarily made for gnomes.

The for small/for medium adjustment works so that the controls shift a little to account for diffefent sizes.

DracoDei
2009-03-10, 10:01 AM
For one thing they split the party

That is why TWO members of the party have them, and/or the druid is mostly in shark form for the adventure, and/or the wizard has turned the barbarian into a giant squid, and/or Necklaces of Waterbreathing.

Frog Dragon
2009-03-10, 10:52 AM
I could of course make a submarine that is suitable for more people

sigurd
2009-03-10, 11:29 AM
Sounds good.

Be interested to see if you develop this further.

Sigurd