PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Art of the Kill (Assassin Article)

RTGoodman
2009-03-09, 01:13 PM
Today Dragon released a pretty big and much-anticipated article, the one all about assassins. Here's a link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090309) for those that have D&DI accounts. I haven't had time to read EVERYTHING in it, but overall it seems pretty neat. Here's a little review:

We start off with some standard flavor text, and then just right into a couple of paragraphs about assassins in D&D history and in-game. The coolest part, of course, is the side-bar that suggests DMs and players add in "new" secret languages like Thieves' Cant and Beggars' Cant and stuff, which I've always liked anyway. We also get a BUNCH of new Backgrounds that you can take to add training in a certain skill, get a bonus to a skill, or learn a new language. Pretty standard fare. We also get, since we can't have a D&D without it (:smallsigh:), a nice little section telling how we can play Good, Lawful Good, or Unaligned assassins, and that Evil and Chaotic Evil assassins are villains to defeat.

The real meat of the article is next - the feats. There are something like 14 new standard feats (6 Heroic, 5 Paragon, and 3 Epic), most of which are decent to good, but not overpowered. There are also six [Guild] feats which give you skill bonuses AND give you some synergy with other PCs that have the same feat. (With Grasping Magpies, for instance, you get a +4 bonus on Thievery checks from an ally with the sme feat Aiding Another, rather than just +2.) We further get a whopping TWENTY [Multiclass] feats - five sets of four feats each. Two are weapon-specific (Garrote and Blowgun), like the Spiked Chain one in the Shadar-Kai article, while the other three let you mutliclass into "multiclass-only" classes (like the Spellscarred in FR) - Poisoner, Bravo, and Cutthroat. Bravo seems pretty cool and lets you designate your prey, against which you deal more damage and stuff, and its attack powers let you choose an at-will to use with them and just up the damage and effects. I haven't read the others to see if they do the same, but I like that idea.

After that we, of course, have thirteen MORE feats - martial-only "technique" feats like we've seen before that just augment. After that we get a couple of new Paragon Paths (one for Druids, one for Warlocks), and THEN a section on new equipment (two weapons, a handful of mundane equipment), and a few new Alchemical Items, too,

Basically, this article introduces a TON of new options. It's definitely worth a look if you can access it. And to boot, I don't see, on a cursory glance, anything that looks terribly broken, either. Thoughts on "Art of the Kill."

Awesomologist
2009-03-09, 02:06 PM
It's mostly fluff. But it's really good fluff, like the kind you spread on toast and have with peanut butter.
The Poisoner multiclass feats fit perfectly with my drow rogue so I'm very happy.

NPCMook
2009-03-10, 05:02 AM
The Multiclass Weapon Proficiencies are getting a little out there, also the Martial classes are getting a LOT of love. Though I'm surprised we haven't gotten a Boomerang type of weapon(aside from Magical Thrown weapons). Though I guess the Boomerang would be a bit difficult to balance, eh?

Also more backgrounds... Backgrounds are awesome.

Asbestos
2009-03-10, 12:13 PM
Basically, this article introduces a TON of new options. It's definitely worth a look if you can access it. And to boot, I don't see, on a cursory glance, anything that looks terribly broken, either. Thoughts on "Art of the Kill."

Some typos (and potential typos) are present. Like a crowbar giving a bonus to Athletics checks to open doors/containers (I'm pretty sure you make Strength checks to open those), and the confusing bit for this power...

Sudden Retaliation Feat Power
Faster than the eye can follow, you retaliate against those
attacking you or your allies.
Encounter ✦ Rattling, Weapon
Immediate Interrupt
Special: In addition to the keywords above, this power
is considered to have the same keywords and range
as the at-will power you use with it.

Its one of the Cutthroat multiclass powers, which is open to non-martial classes, yet it has that weapon keyword (which NONE of the other multiclass feat powers have, beyond that garrote and blowgun powers) Personally I think the 'weapon' part is a mistake.

The Epic feats are anything but. Critical Ambush? Awesome for my epic rogue that crits when he doesn't have combat advantage... wait... weak.

The Paragon feat 'Prime Punisher' is confusingly worded. I'm assuming its basically 'use Prime Shot in melee if none of your allies are adjacent to your target.'

The Heroic Tier feat Bloodied Fleetness... I kind of want to make a Garrote wielding Dhampyr Brutal Scoundrel with this feat and Dhampyr Alacrity. In Heroic Tier I'll be moving 8 squares when bloodied (9 if I'm a gnoll or elf) which will help me move up behind people, grab them, bite them, and choke them. Using my garrote to riposte however, thanks to this bit...
"If you are a rogue, you can use the garrote with
the Sneak Attack class feature and any rogue melee
attack power that can be used with a light blade."
... is just plain ridiculous. But I'll do it anyway.

The Backgrounds are pure fluff, they aren't like the Scales of War backgrounds that give you minor bonuses.

The Warlock Paragon Path is by far the most slidey and as a result possibly the most controller-type Warlock build around. Which is pretty sweet.

All in all, I'm a fan, I like how it really it helps members of all classes be assassins and finally admits that yes, LG organizations can have assassins.

RukiTanuki
2009-03-10, 12:54 PM
The real meat of the article, to me, is the "flavor text" stating, for the first time in the history of D&D, that Assassins can be non-evil in alignment. :)

Kaiyanwang
2009-03-11, 06:31 AM
The real meat of the article, to me, is the "flavor text" stating, for the first time in the history of D&D, that Assassins can be non-evil in alignment. :)

Well, an article in Wotc archives had the lines to change the Assassin class to the Avenger class, a Lawful "assassin" with more or less the same class features...

I remember the Slayer of Domiel in BoED having a similar role...

/celerity
/teleport