PDA

View Full Version : [4e] druid

gabado
2009-03-09, 01:56 PM
i heard that the first three levels of druid have been released, yessssss! but, i noticed upon entering the wizards of the coast website that the file was only accessible to the people who subscribe to dnd insider.:annoyed: i was wondering if there is another, legal, way to obtain that preview.

many thanks.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-09, 02:20 PM
Buy the PHB2 when it comes out next Tuesday?

DDI Subscriber content is exclusive to DDI subscribers for a reason; they want you to buy a DDI subscription. I have one and I think it is a great deal. If you are looking for a legal, free way to get it, sorry - don't think there is one.

Tengu_temp
2009-03-09, 02:27 PM
Having to pay to see the samples of the finished product is not exactly what I'd call good marketing.

LibraryOgre
2009-03-09, 02:35 PM
Apparently, some other countries have the stuff available for free; Hzurr was mentioning that he could read them from the French site.

Hzurr
2009-03-09, 02:40 PM
Having to pay to see the samples of the finished product is not exactly what I'd call good marketing.

I disagree. If I hadn't seen the preview stuff, I wouldn't be nearly as excited about the PHB2 as I am now. The Bard and Barbarian previews alone make me want to get the book.

And Mark Hall is correct. The French d&d website (don't know about other countries) let's you view the insider stuff without a subscription. The content is released later, and it's in French, but it's there for free. I don't know about other languages.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-09, 02:51 PM
Apparently, some other countries have the stuff available for free; Hzurr was mentioning that he could read them from the French site.

Allot of the Dragon Magazine content becomes available for everyone, but non-subscribers have to wait. I think all the playtest classes are in that category. Not really sure. As a subscriber, I see everything and it doesn't differentiate what is for the general public and what isn't.

gabado
2009-03-09, 03:52 PM
The French d&d website (don't know about other countries) let's you view the insider stuff without a subscription. The content is released later, and it's in French, but it's there for free. I don't know about other languages.

one question; can you translate the preview into english after downloading it?

:smallconfused:

oh and how do i get to the french site?

Hzurr
2009-03-09, 04:22 PM
one question; can you translate the preview into english after downloading it?
Er...do you mean is there an automatic way to translate it? No. The only reason I can read it is because I can read French.

oh and how do i get to the french site?

http://www.dragonrouge.info/

click on the 4E books image in the center of the page, then click the "preview" link under the "Accueil" tab on the left

And again, the release schedule for the books in other languages is behind the release schedule for the books in English. The PHB2 only comes out a few days after the English release, but things like MoP just came out last week. It also doesn't offer the same number of preview articles, and the ones that are the same are usually several weeks late.

Tygell
2009-03-09, 04:26 PM
I let my DDI subscription lapse, but I'm going to subscribe again today. DDI and the character builder means I don't have to bother buying the books now, and it seems to be getting a lot of good content so far.

its_all_ogre
2009-03-09, 04:42 PM
i also have subscribed and it is great value for the money.
as mentioned the character builder is updated with every single release in time(2 weeks or so after the book proper is released i think?) and you also get access to all released monsters that have been used in any module or adventure anywhere.
so if you want a level 2 wight and don't want the hassle of de-levelling it? it's already been done for you. copy and paste baby!

Alteran
2009-03-09, 05:23 PM
I disagree. If I hadn't seen the preview stuff, I wouldn't be nearly as excited about the PHB2 as I am now. The Bard and Barbarian previews alone make me want to get the book.

That's exactly the point. If you didn't have to pay for a subscription to see the previews, more people might feel like that.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-09, 05:37 PM
Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it. ~ Publilius Syrus

They are making market value judgments with this stuff. The more "exclusive preview" stuff that is only available to DDI insiders there is, the more people will subscribe (assuming they also perceive that stuff to have value). On the flip side, the more preview stuff they release to the public, the more buzz they can create for future products and, presumably, the more of that product they will sell. So they have monetary intensive to release stuff for free and to release stuff to just the DDI insiders.

There is no way to objectively evaluate whether any particular choice was a good one. The only really meaningful contribution to this topic I can give is that I am a DDI subscriber, and I believe I have received more than my money's worth.

The level of content they are giving us may even be too much. I am not excited about the day the PHB2 comes out, because I likely won't be purchasing it. I am excited about the day that the entirety of it's contents is uploaded to the compendium and the character builder. In a way, I will be getting that content late, because I am a subscriber; I have less incentive to buy the book (which I assume has a pretty good profit margin).

gabado
2009-03-09, 10:24 PM
i just subscribed to ddi, but i am having a technical difficulty.

1. i am unable to locate the place were i can download the druid file

many thanks.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-03-09, 10:29 PM
Follow this link. You will have to log in to see it: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20081201a

Also, I subscribed to DDI yesterday and so far I am not regretting it in the slightest. Some really awesome stuff here.