PDA

View Full Version : [Creature-MitP] You know you want to

fangthane
2006-09-02, 03:53 PM
There are plenty of rules for what happens when character alignment changes, and there's plenty of precedent for abrupt changes in that alignment in literature and lore, and yet there's an appalling paucity of mandatory alignment change in everyday D&D. Granted most characters would prefer their alignments never have to enter into things, I feel differently. I think that forcing atonement quests can be great fun for the DM. :) That said, here's my entry into the world of the Fey.

Submitted for Monsters in the Playground (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11557461 87;start=0)

Inveigler
Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 10d6+20 (55 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft (6 squares), fly 50 (10 squares) (good)
Armor Class: 22 (Dex +6, Natural +2, Mage Armor +4), touch 16, flatfooted 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+6
Attack: Dagger+1 +12 (1d6+2 and poison)
Full Attack: Dagger+1 +12 (1d6+2 and poison)
Space/Reach:5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Inveigle, Piteous Weeping, Poison, Spell-like Abilities
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/Cold Iron, Low-light Vision, Magic Touch, Spell Resistance 18,
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +13, Will +9
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 22, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 24
Skills: Concentration +14, Diplomacy +20, Escape Artist +19, Listen +15, Move Silently +19, Sense Motive +15, Spot +15
Feats: Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment, Spell Focus: Enchantment,Weapon Finesse, Weapon focus: Dagger
Environment: Any wilderness except water, cold or desert.
Organization: Solitary, Training Group (1-2 with same number dominated), Family (2-3 with 4-9 dominated)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: No coins; 50% goods (metal or stone only); 50% items (no scrolls) (dominated individuals possess treasure according to their own entries, if any)
Alignment: Always Chaotic
Advancement: by class
Level Adjustment: +3

http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/MitP/Inveigler.jpg

The beauty of some creatures is so great that they are able to motivate others to support them, protect them and even to betray their own deepest convictions; such are the Inveiglers.

Inveiglers are supernaturally beautiful, virtually perfect specimens of either gender who stand approximately 5' to 5'6" tall. They are deceptively light for their size and possess gossamer wings, similar to those of pixies. They excel at (and heartily enjoy) enticing others to do their bidding, often in spite of those others' natural tendencies, although in keeping with their capricious nature, any plaything who shares their alignment has ceased to be a challenge and thus is more likely to be abandoned as "too similar to be interesting." Their mercurial and inconsistent nature is the only consistent thing about them. Good Inveiglers tend to involve themselves in improving just one pet at a time, while neutral Inveiglers tend to retain an entourage and evil Inveiglers delight in corrupting the pure. An Inveigler's emotional force is such that even those not held in sway often find themselves weeping in sympathy, even as the Inveigler assesses the effectiveness of his ruse.

Combat:
Inveiglers generally tend to take an indirect approach to combat, attempting to charm, dominate or incapacitate stragglers before (or instead of) dealing with a larger force. When forced into combat, an Inveigler uses its ability to fly in efforts to remain clear of direct melee, often using its dominated subjects and its spell-like abilities to distract or immobilise threats in addition to the potential for recruitment through further domination.

Inveigle (Su): An Inveigler who has successfully used her Dominate Person spell-like ability to force someone to act in a manner contrary to their nature may attempt to Inveigle that person. In so doing, the Inveigler forces her thrall to make an additional will save with a DC of 20. Failure results in the Dominated person's alignment becoming closer by one category to that of the Inveigler, toward chaos first and then (if necessary) on the good/evil axis. Chaotic creatures required to make this saving throw receive a -1 penalty on their attempt. The ability to Inveigle may be applied only once per application of Dominate Person and only if that application permitted the Inveigler to force its thrall to take action against its nature. Alteration of alignment in this manner has the standard effects of a voluntary alignment shift, and carries the normal consequences including possible loss of class features.
Remove Curse and Break Enchantment (and similar, more powerful effects) may be used to reverse the alignment change if desired, and lost class features may be regained as normal.

Magic Touch (Su): An Inveigler's touch imbues his daggers with an ephemeral flicker of magical potency; any dagger wielded by an Inveigler receives a +1 enhancement bonus for each 6 HD he has. This bonus fades at the end of any turn in which one of the Inveigler's daggers leaves his possession.

Piteous Weeping (Su): 3 times per day, as a move-equivalent action, the Inveigler may cry so piteously that even the hardest heart is moved to mercy; any creature with an intelligence greater than 3 within 30 feet which fails a will save (DC 20) is incapacitated (affected as if Dazed) for 1d4 rounds in sympathetic weeping and may take no actions other than to defend itself for that time. Chaotic creatures receive a +1 bonus to their saving throws to resist the effect, and in any case a successful save eliminates the effect. Regardless of success or failure, no creature subjected to it may be affected by the same Inveigler's Piteous Weeping until 24 hours have passed.

Poison (Ex): Many fey treat their blades with useful tinctures, and the Inveigler is no exception. She coats her dagger-tips with a poison which deals 1d4 primary and secondary wisdom damage on a failed DC 19 Fortitude save.

Spell-like Abilities: At will - Daze Monster (DC 23), Detect Thoughts (DC 23), Invisibility, Mage Armor. 3/day - Charm Person (DC 22), Hold Person (DC 24), Rage, Suggestion (DC 24), Tongues. 1/day - Crushing Despair (DC 25), Dominate Person (DC 26), Undetectable Alignment. All effects/DCs as cast by a 10th level sorcerer* and are charisma-based

*Undetectable Alignment is treated as a level 4 Sorcerer spell with effects identical to the divine level 2 and bardic level 1 spell.

Edit - fixed SLA's up (still not sure about Ability Focus vs Spell Focus Enchantment, but I'd contend that school-based focus should work just as well as for any PC) Also decided I'd add an extra +1 LA in there because when I was working out the DCs I realised they could be heavily leveraged by a monstrous PC (put an 18 in cha and go to town despite the frailty)
Further edit - Thanks very much to Fax for passing on the artwork :) And my thanks to the artist, whose name Fax didn't divulge.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-02, 04:08 PM
Ungh, I can see these being one of those weepy 'maidens in distress' who you really just want to slug.

I give a thumb's up to MItP.

Just a few really nitpicks though to make this completely legit:

Hit Dice: 10d6+20 (55)
Needs hp at the end of the 55.

Speed: 30 ft, fly 50 (good)
The speed should mention the ammount of squares:
30 ft. (6 squares), etc.

Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities, Inveigle, Piteous Weeping, Poison
Special Qualities: SR 18, DR 10/Cold Iron, Low-light Vision, Magic Touch
Skills:91 Escape Artist +19, Diplomacy +20, Sense Motive +15, Concentration +14, Spot +15, Listen +15, Move Silently +19
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Spell Focus: Enchantment, Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment, Weapon focus: Dagger
Alphabetical order of these help its appearance.

Environment: Any forest/outdoor wilderness
Wouldn't this just be 'Any land'? Urban is its own category.

Challenge Rating: 8 + class level
No need for the + class level bit.

On a more serious note:

Level Adjustment: +2
Thats just a tad off for a 10 HD, CR 8 creature. This means its only the equivalent of a 2nd level character.

fangthane
2006-09-02, 05:51 PM
Ungh, I can see these being one of those weepy 'maidens in distress' who you really just want to slug.

I give a thumb's up to MItP.

Just a few really nitpicks though to make this completely legit:

Needs hp at the end of the 55.

The speed should mention the ammount of squares:
30 ft. (6 squares), etc.

Alphabetical order of these help its appearance.

Wouldn't this just be 'Any land'? Urban is its own category.

No need for the + class level bit.
Ok, missed the environment bit, will have to get that one - the rest is fixed though, and thanks for the heads up. :)

On a more serious note:
Thats just a tad off for a 10 HD, CR 8 creature. This means its only the equivalent of a 2nd level character.
Actually it means that a first level character using this race is effectively a level 13 ECL. "To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels." (from the d20 SRD) - so the ECL is 10 (HD) plus 2 (LA) +1 (class level) which is 13th. It also means that after earning 3 6 levels they can spend a level's worth of exp to reduce their LA by 1.

Winged One
2006-09-02, 05:57 PM
MitP vote: yes.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-02, 06:26 PM
Actually it means that a first level character using this race is effectively a level 13 ECL.
Actually meant 12th (dunno where the nd came from), but still, a +2 LA for all those goodies...

fangthane
2006-09-02, 09:29 PM
I hate when that happens. My cat hit me as I was mousing, clicked the BACK button and lost my post. Anyhow, I'd tend to agree that this is a fair load of stuff for a +2 LA, but if you consider a character at level 15 this guy's got 80 HP and a save of perhaps +4(base) + 4 (con) + 4 (cloak) and is going to be eating an awful lot of damage on Horrid Wilting, in addition to being likely to die outright on spells like Wail or even Slay Living. My figuring is that while there are, undeniably, some very nifty things there from a player perspective, those are fairly well balanced with the race's essential frailty.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-04, 11:16 AM
MitP Vote: Yes.

asromta
2006-09-04, 11:43 AM
MitP Vote: Yes

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-04, 04:52 PM
*WAHHHHHHHHHH!*

(failed my will save)

MitP Vote: Yes.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-04, 05:13 PM
MitP vote: Yes

Randomman413
2006-09-04, 08:04 PM
MitP: Yes

ghost_warlock
2006-09-05, 12:02 AM
I think I dated one of these once...

And so that others may suffer a similar fate: MitP: Yes!