PDA

View Full Version : [D&D] Most impressive player accomplishments

Myou
2009-03-09, 05:50 PM
In my current solo campaign my player keeps impressing me, at level 3 he and the DMPC were confronted by ~300 monsterous hunting spiders, including about twenty that were CR 2 and one huge one with a CR of 7 he initially ran (at my prompting) but after complaining that the spiders made him look stupid I dropped a hint about how the wet cave walls stopped his fire spells working well and that the spiders were weak against fire.

He tracked the water back to it's source and dammed the stream to dry out the cave below, killed a CR 5 black dragon on the way, then returned and set the entire cave complex ablaze then battle the CR 7 spider to the death in an epic showdown where everyone was on fire, then succumbed to poison from a few dozen wounds as the spider was felled and got dragged out of the inferno by the DMPC who had survived on 3HP and managed to save him with the final charge of his wand.

Then tonight he and the new DMPC took on a Black Pudding (CR 7) while at level 4 and actually won a resounding victory (although the DMPC nearly died in the third round, going from full health to 1/4).

He just keeps impressing me! :3

What about you guys? Any stories of amazing/ingenious strategies and victories against the odds?

PrismaticPIA
2009-03-09, 06:31 PM
In my current solo campaign my player keeps impressing me, at level 3 he and the DMPC were confronted by ~300 monsterous hunting spiders, including about twenty that were CR 2 and one huge one with a CR of 7 he initially ran (at my prompting) but after complaining that the spiders made him look stupid I dropped a hint about how the wet cave walls stopped his fire spells working well and that the spiders were weak against fire.

He tracked the water back to it's source and dammed the stream to dry out the cave below, killed a CR 5 black dragon on the way, then returned and set the entire cave complex ablaze then battle the CR 7 spider to the death in an epic showdown where everyone was on fire, then succumbed to pioson form a few dzen wounds as the spider was felled and got dragged out of the inferno by the DMPC who had survived on 3HP and managed to save him with the final charge of his wand.

Then tonight he and the new DMPC took on a Black Pudding (CR 7) while at level 4 and actually won a resounding victory (although the DMPC nearly died in the third round, going from full health to 1/4).

He just keeps impressing me! :3

What about you guys? Any stories of amazing/ingenious strategies and victories against the odds?

Level 7 unoptimized party of 4 kills an DM-optimized Balor, with only the cleric left standing.

Myou
2009-03-09, 06:35 PM
Level 7 unoptimized party of 4 kills an DM-optimized Balor, with only the cleric left standing.

Wow, how did that happen? xD

How did they even get into such an uneven fight?

arguskos
2009-03-09, 06:43 PM
I had a party of 5 level 9's that had to fight through a Nycaloth (CR 11-13, I forget). Said Nycaloth was on the peak of a snow-covered mountain. They actually did kill it, and no one died (though two people came damned close). That was.... pretty impressive.

Also, they later used telekinesis to toss the Warforged Juggernaut at a flying manticore. He made a grapple check against it, got it, and bore it to the ground (since he was made of adamantine, and weighed like 500+ lbs), killing it instantly. That group ALSO managed to one-round 2 purple worms and a lich on a blue dragon. It was a fun group, and had surprisingly few casualties. Of course... they lost a guy to gravity when he fell off a cliff they were climbing down. 20d6 to a level 8 bard=death. :smallcool:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-03-09, 07:05 PM
12th level Cleric takes out the gods during playtesting. Don't ask.

Eldariel
2009-03-09, 07:15 PM
12th level Cleric takes out the gods during playtesting. Don't ask.

*Is compelled to Ask.*

Myou
2009-03-10, 03:36 AM
*Is compelled to Ask.*

Seconded! :3

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-10, 03:44 AM
Thirded! :smallbiggrin:

Stories like these are what finally convinced me to start playing D&D. Look at TV Tropes' Crowning Moment of Awesome page for D&D (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/CrowningMoment/DungeonsAndDragons).

KIDS
2009-03-10, 03:53 AM
In my current solo campaign my player keeps impressing me, at level 3 he and the DMPC were confronted by ~300 monsterous hunting spiders...

Don't you see! There were 300 spiders so they all had to die! 252 or 390... not so much :)

ironballs
2009-03-10, 03:54 AM
Not as Epic as the rest - but my most memorable:

way back, on 2nd edition, I had a Gladiator who fought an overwhelmingly stronger opponent in the arena - a Kind of super tough super soldiers.

he pretty much toyed with me, knocked away my weapons and kept throwing me around - worse yet - we were not allowed to use our own weapons - only scattered weapons in bad condition - none of which was in my proficiency weapon list :)

so eventually I garbed a sword, and desperately declared that I'm aiming for his neck (when aiming to his body was out of my ability to hit!) - first attempt - critical miss - I'm on my ass and he is just standing over me laughing - not even bothering to take hir turn to attack me - I aim again to his neck... natural 20 !
the DM roll on his critical effect table and he gets 100 : "major organ removed"...
in short, I decapitated him, got out as the arena champion, and felt really bad about it because apparently it wasn't suppose to be a dual to the death - and the other guy was nice enough to let me recuperate between humiliations... :)

the way that the DM described it was so funny: he was so surprised that I actually hit him, that his face showed it for several seconds, then his head, and several fingers dropped to the ground :)

Myou
2009-03-10, 06:58 AM
Don't you see! There were 300 spiders so they all had to die! 252 or 390... not so much :)

Aha, of course!

The Law of The Conservation Of Ninjutsu may also have played a part. xD