PDA

View Full Version : Astral Projection question

afroakuma
2009-03-10, 12:02 AM
I'm led to believe from the spell description that when one dies on another plane while astrally projected, the body used on that plane remains there as a corpse. Is that so?

And if so, how does it interact with effects that would seize or taint the soul upon death, such as soul bind or being energy drained to death by a vampire? Does the corpse still rise? Does the original body still reawaken?

arguskos
2009-03-10, 12:36 AM
Yes, if a lich astrally projects, and the astral body dies, the original wakes up. Why? Because anything else seems stupid. :smalltongue:

As for the other notes, like soul bind or vampiric energy drain, I'd imagine that since the body isn't real and isn't ACTUALLY you, it wouldn't be affected. It's a repository for your soul, but it's the souls actual residence. It's like at college, when they ask for your current address and your permanent address. Stuff really only matters for your permanent one, most major things go there, not your current. :smallwink: Make sense?

Limos
2009-03-10, 12:39 AM
Probably the Astral Corpse doesn't have the same metaphysical significance as you're actual body. It looks like you, but it's just a meat puppet. It doesn't really fit your soul.

afroakuma
2009-03-10, 08:12 AM
It's a necromantic effect, which means your soul moves into the astral body (and the physical form it takes on other planes). Hence why I asked about effects that taint or trap the soul as they kill.

I mean, would the Deck of Many Things' Void and Donjon cards get you, or is that a safer way to use them?

Lycanthromancer
2009-03-10, 11:07 AM
Your soul is actually in the astral projection body, so effects like trap the soul should work normally.

When your astral body is killed, shouldn't it dissolve, since it's composed of ectoplasm that is only held together because your mind inhabits it?

And as for a deck of many things, that's what Heward's handy haversacks are for. And divinations, if you don't have a haversack handy...

monty
2009-03-10, 12:01 PM
And as for a deck of many things, that's what Heward's handy haversacks are for. And divinations, if you don't have a haversack handy...

/commune

Will drawing a card do something bad to me?

/commune

Will drawing two cards do something bad to me?

Repeat as necessary.

afroakuma
2009-03-10, 12:22 PM
Well, I mean the physical body you form when you step out of the Astral Plane. I assume that the astral body you employ would dissolve...

then again, that's no fun for Astral Dreadnoughts. Hmm...