PDA

View Full Version : The Lifescorned [Template]

The Demented One
2006-08-26, 10:28 PM
Lifescorned Creatures
Lifescorned creatures are the offspring of mages and necromancers who overused necromancy, causing their children to become tainted parodies of life. While not truly undead, they are not actually alive. They exist in a strange place outside the triad of life, death, and undeath. Lifescorned creatures look much like a normal creature of their kind, but they are completely without pigmentation in hair or skin, giving them lily-white skin and pure white hair. Their eyes, however, are pure black.

Creating A Lifescorned Creature
Lifescorned is an inherited template that can be added to any aberration, fey, giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid.

Size and Type
Type changes to aberration, and the creature gains the augmented subtype.

Special Attacks
A Lifescorned creature retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following special attacks.

Dark Gaze (Su)
A Lifescorned creature’s black eyes are unnaturally unnerving. A creature caught in a Lifescorned creature’s gaze must make a Will save, DC 10 + ½ the Lifescorned creature’s HD + the Lifescorned creature’s Cha modifier, or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. Even if it succeeds on its save, it is shaken for 1 round. This is a mind-affecting, fear effect.

Negative Energy Touch (Su)
Once per day, plus an additional time per day per 3 HD, a Lifescorned creature may make a touch attack. A creature hit by the touch attack takes 1d6 points of negative energy damage per 2 HD of the Lifescorned creature, rounded up, with a Will save, DC 10 + ½ the Lifescorned creature’s HD + the Lifescorned creature’s Cha modifier, for half damage. Undead are healed, rather than harmed, by this touch. A Lifescorned creature attempting to use its touch to heal itself automatically makes its save. In addition, despite the fact it has a save for half, it heals full damage, unlike other spells and effects.

Special Qualities
A Lifescorned creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following qualities.

Half-Dead (Ex)
A Lifescorned creature is neither alive nor dead. While not truly undead, it shares many traits with them. A Lifescorned creature is immune to fatigue, exhaustion, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death attacks. A Lifescorned creature has a 50% chance to ignore the extra damage dealt by critical hits, sneak attacks, and other precision-based damage. A Lifescorned creature is healed by spells and effects that would heal either living creatures or undead creatures, but only if it successfully saves against them. If it fails against either kind of effect, it is damaged as if it were either a living or undead creature, as appropriate for the effect. A Lifescorned creature adds its Cha modifier, rather than its Con modifier, to Concentration checks

Turning Weakness (Su)
A Lifescorned creature can be turned or rebuked as if it were an undead. However, it has turn resistance equal to half its HD.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Con -2, Cha +2.

Challenge Rating
Same as base creature +1.

Alignment
Usually Neutral Evil.

Level Adjustment
Same as base creature +1.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-26, 10:42 PM
Pretty interesting idea, though I think the immunities granted by its Half Dead should give it at least a +2 LA when added with the other stuff.

Anyways, I wanna hear more about this 'outside the triad' concept 8)

The Demented One
2006-08-26, 10:47 PM
Pretty interesting idea, though I think the immunities granted by its Half Dead should give it at least a +2 LA when added with the other stuff.
Meh, you could pick most of that stuff up by being a warforged. Anyway, there are some hefty weaknesses--you can get turned, albeit you have good resistance, and any healing except touching yourself is a real bugger to use.

Anyways, I wanna hear more about this 'outside the triad' concept 8)
I'll probably do some more with it.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-26, 10:47 PM
That's pretty cool, especially the bit where it heals/harms according to its save. However, a question: that makes cure and inflict spells deal full or cure half, correct? So it's difficult for this thing to regain hit points outside of its own touch.

The Demented One
2006-08-26, 10:49 PM
That's pretty cool, especially the bit where it heals/harms according to its save. However, a question: that makes cure and inflict spells deal full or cure half, correct? So it's difficult for this thing to regain hit points outside of its own touch.
Yep.

Single Shot Zombie
2006-08-26, 10:58 PM
Use potions?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-26, 10:58 PM
Meh, you could pick most of that stuff up by being a warforged.
I do not stand corrected ;)

But yes, granted, the negatives may balance it out to a +1.

The Demented One
2006-08-26, 11:11 PM
Use potions?
Still gotta save, and there would still only be the half effect.

I do not stand corrected
"A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and are the portals to discovery."

Fax Celestis
2006-08-26, 11:12 PM
Right, since potions are basically bottled spells.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-26, 11:15 PM
I was just meaning I've always thought Warforged should be at least a +1 and I'm always getting into arguments over it ;)

The Demented One
2006-08-26, 11:19 PM
I was just meaning I've always thought Warforged should be at least a +1 and I'm always getting into arguments over it ;)

Yeah, it can be something of a touchy subject, especially with Eberron fanboys about (i.e., me). Warforged are kinda in the odd "+1/2 LA" zone...not good enough to merit a whole +1, but high on the power curve for +0. Consider their weaknesses though: have to take feats in order to get a decent AC, healed only half by cure spells, penalties to two stats...I find that, while they may be a bit strong early on, it all evens out around 5th-8th level.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-26, 11:20 PM
Yeah, it can be something of a touchy subject, especially with Eberron fanboys about (i.e., me). Warforged are kinda in the odd "+1/2 LA" zone...not good enough to merit a whole +1, but high on the power curve for +0. Consider their weaknesses though: have to take feats in order to get a decent AC, healed only half by cure spells, penalties to two stats...I find that, while they may be a bit strong early on, it all evens out around 5th-8th level.
Now, here's a question: Warforged and the Repair spells out of the Spell Compendium. How does that work?

The Demented One
2006-08-26, 11:22 PM
Now, here's a question: Warforged and the Repair spells out of the Spell Compendium. How does that work?
Repair spells are to warforged as cure spells are to fleshbags. Warforged <3 Artificer.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-26, 11:25 PM
Gotcha. So, that gets around that issue then, yes?

The Demented One
2006-08-26, 11:27 PM
Gotcha. So, that gets around that issue then, yes?
Yep, assuming they are an artificer or have one willing to blow infusions to heal.

martyboy74
2006-08-27, 10:22 AM
Finally! A use for wands! ;D

The Demented One
2006-08-27, 10:25 AM
Finally! A use for wands! ;D
Noooope, you still have to save, and it's still half healing. You can't get around it people. Well, there's vigor and its compatriots, and goodberry. Nothing else.

Fredderf
2006-08-27, 11:24 AM
I really like the flavor of the whole thing, but the healing thing seems a bit tough, seeing as how after battle the party's cleric could accidentally kill him. I think LA+1 is fine considering all of the downsides the Lifescorned creature has.

Cornugon
2006-08-29, 07:49 PM
I never thought I'd want to pick up Iron Will in order to get healed. Seriously, it never occured to me.

This could make a quite interesting BBEG, but it would take some major skill to DM. I like the strangeness of it, and it is most decidely different.

MitP: Yes (At this rate you'll make up half the book, not that it's a bad thing.)

Randomman413
2006-09-04, 05:38 PM
MitP Vote: Yes.