PDA

View Full Version : NWoD Grade-a-Character: Arlen Pagiel, Demon-Possessed of Envy/Beherit, Kraken of Hell

Leliel
2009-03-10, 02:29 PM
Well, I recently got World of Darkness: Inferno, and upon discovering it was possible to play a a person who has been possesed by a demon, I though "What's the rent on sould these days?"

Since his/their (being possesed mandates that you play your demon, to an extent) backstory explains everything about him/them, I'll let it do the talking:

"Backstory, as told in Arlen's words [with interruptions by Beherit]:

I was always a bit of an outcast-you know, the quiet, unassuming nerd everyone picks on in school [Yeah, boo-hoo, so was everyone else. The outcast, not the nerd, I mean]. Even so, I always considered myself to be a happy person, if not exactly a normal one-"Normal", I have now come to realize, just means "Vampire food" [Yay, three cheers for Possessed!]. However, that didn't mean I wasn't lonely. Indeed, one could say that I was loneliness personified. I wanted and desired friends, but I was too afraid, or they were too afriad, to ask [Sniff...That's so sad...It makes me RETCH! GROW A PAIR!].

Then, I met...her [Oo, now we're getting to the steamy parts! Let me get some hellcorn].

Samantha was a mousy girl I met in the junior year of high school. You know the type-glasses, buttoned top, intelligent-a real meganekko [A what? ...Oh. Wow, you humans can have some dirty, dirty minds]. She was close enough to me to the point that I was confident enough to approch her with the metaphorical "laurels of friendship"-and found that she shared much of my intrests, up to and including my passion for demonology [A really smart succubus. Ha!]. Soon, we found ourselves friends and research partners, where she shared details about her life, and me about mine [Some of which required a condom. Just you readers wait, you'll see that they saw each other as more than just "freinds and reasearch partners"].

She was the perfect friend for me. Which is why I took her death at the hands of a supernatural so badly [Yes, beacuse we all know how devestating the death of a "freind" you equate to a "lady who works in the same office can be". Especially those who invite you over to their house for drinks, dinner, and a place to sleep. With only one bed. Just to make that analogy more obvious].

We were walking back from the movies one night [See? Even he admits they were dating!]. We were chatting about the movie, pointing out the parts we liked, disliked, and outrighted hated, when I got this feeling I was being watched. I suppose Sam felt it too, since she stopped at the same point I did and started looking around worriedly. All of a sudden, I heard this crunch of a pebble followed by a dark chuckle-more superpreadator then human [For those of you who don't get the analogy, humans, and by extension supernaturals are an apex preadator by way of being sentient and ommnivorus. It's quite the useful evolutionary tool]. Sam and I began to run, but before we could make a yard, a dark man leaped-not just jumped, leaped-from the bushes and stuck a pair of needle canines into Sam's arm. I wanted to help her, but I was paralyzed by fear-paralyzed beacuse I knew I wasn't strong enough. I could only watch as he dragged her into the bushes-the last I ever saw of her.

What drove me in those dark months, I cannot exactly say [Mainly beacuse he was insane, and couldn't make heads or tails of his mental condition at the time]. Was it rage? Anguish? Some primal sense of justice? I did, however, know what I was searching for-power. Pure, unadulterated power, so that no one would have to suffer like me or Sam did . Over time, I gradually came to realize that vampires were not the only thing out of the ordinary in this world, and I began to investigate what was once my "hobby" of demonology as a real scientific field. And I found the power I sought. He's quite amicable, actually. For a demon, anyway [Aww...I'm touched].

He was once a human, the French pirate Soloman Morceau, and he lived during the great period of colonization in the Caribbean. Envious of both his countrymen and Spain, he began to attack both, betraying them to the Dutch in return for wealth, and more importantly, prestige. This, of course, caught up with him, when the French in turn sold him out to Captain Willaim Kidd, who he proved to be no match for [Although to be fair, this IS Captain Kidd we're talking about. You know all those rumors of buried treasure? They can all be traced back to that guy]. Rather then live with the humilation of being defeated by an Englishman, Soloman commited suicide, at which point his ghost rose as a Larval-a human-born demon. Details at this point are sketchy, and I am wise enough not to ask a member of a species infamous for being habitual liars for his past [Smart move], but I do know that he eventually shed his human form and became a Dominion-a true hellspawn-and took the name Beherit [Which is my true name, so if he says it to somone we don't trust, he'll regret it!].

I had orginally intended to merely make a deal with a Dominion, but once I had discovered that one had once been human, my goals changed. No longer would I just have an infernal patron-I would take one into me, body and soul [For those of you who don't see the logic in this, he thought he would be better able to relate to a former Larval like me-still a dumb move, but now a logical one]. So I drew up the circle, recited the incations, and called Beherit from the sea of Hell. You should have seen him-a great kraken of envy and darkness, with the torso and head of a human and the lower body and tentacles of an octopus, but definitely mammal-there was more killer whale then giant squid about him, despite his tentacles. I made the pact [Which wasn't all that hard-It gets really, REALLY, boring in Hell after a while, and besides, I get a nice new living space out of the deal] and took him into myself.

If I am dammed, better me than countless other people at the hands of monsters [Some of which are my rivals. Eat that, Belpheron!]."

[B]So what do you think of this story for a demonically-possesed hero and his shoulder devil?

Project_Mayhem
2009-03-10, 04:24 PM
ooh, pretty cool concept. Good write up too