PDA

View Full Version : Afterlife

petersohn
2009-03-10, 03:10 PM
I just finished reading this comic, and I was wondering. We saw how a Lawful Good afterlife looks like: there is a town where you can get everything you want, and then you can start climbing an incredibly high mountain to reach the Ultimate Enlightenment. But how do the afterlives of the other alignments look like?

My suggestion:
In general, Good alignments are basically similar to the LG: they get everything they want, and they have their means to reach the Enlightenment, but in a less convenient way than in LG.
In the Neutral afterlives, you get a rather boring life. If you work very hard, you can get closer to your gods, but the Ultimate Enlightenment is just beyond reach. The layout may be like: CN - a forest, TN - plains, LN - a city.
The evil afterlives are actually the hell. In LE, you get tortured (or enslaved or whatever) by devils. In CE, the same with demons. NE are stuck on a battlefield where demons and devils fight.

hamishspence
2009-03-10, 03:14 PM
Odds are, it will be standard D&D setting afterlives.

Some areas of the Outlands (Neutral) are pretty well forested. Most afterlife areas have some variety.

Evil afterlives tend to be unpleasant places even for the evil souls, Nine Hells, Hades, Abyss, etc.

OOTS may modify things slightly.

Cúchulainn
2009-03-10, 03:21 PM
In before alignment debate.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-03-10, 03:29 PM
Rather than create a wall o' text, here's a Wiki Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Plane).

Since "Official" Celestia and OotSSpace Celestia seem to be fairly similar, I'm assuming the rest are similar in physical appearance. But the IFCC shows that the Blood War might have it's own truce (not peace!) makers with their own agendas.

hamishspence
2009-03-10, 03:30 PM
If we ever get to see CG one in strip, I predict there will be surprises and maybe, it will defy certain preconceptions about what is and what isn't Chaotic.

Optimystik
2009-03-10, 03:51 PM
Celestia appears pretty tranquil - lakes to fish in, everyone has their own spacious house (thought they have to live with their parents at first :smallwink:) and can visit each other, lots of time for contemplation, etc.

I predict Arborea to be a giant treetop village/college dorm where there's always at least 5 parties going on in a radius around your room, complete with nightclubs, pool tables, bars and arcades. With all the bards that end up there, it seems to fit :smallcool:

Silverraptor
2009-03-10, 07:07 PM
I've always wondered this about Afterlifes. If there are trees there, are the trees alive? And if so, how'd they get in such a special place?

adam_antio
2009-03-10, 07:19 PM
I've always wondered this about Afterlifes. If there are trees there, are the trees alive? And if so, how'd they get in such a special place?
this is the deepest question about afterlife I ever saw. :smallwink:
Perhaps, they are LG trees victim of a cruel CE lumbejack..

[TS] Shadow
2009-03-10, 07:27 PM

Good that Durkon isn't Chaotic, then. :)

Silverraptor
2009-03-10, 07:45 PM
this is the deepest question about afterlife I ever saw. :smallwink:
Perhaps, they are LG trees victim of a cruel CE lumbejack..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... That was good.

adam_antio
2009-03-10, 07:57 PM
:smallbiggrin:
anyway, the true answer is here.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0498.html
"everything 'round these parts is shaped by belief". I suppose trees undergo the same process.

Mr. Pin
2009-03-10, 08:02 PM
The Trees represent a Lawful Evil incursion onto the goodly planes. IS NOTHING SACRED?! WHEN WILL THESE ARBOREAL SUCH-AND-SUCHES STOP?

I predict that the final battle in this webcomic will come with Xykon, Redcloak, The Monster In the Darkness, The Order of the Stick, Thor, and the Snarl all allying against the Tree invasion. It'll be a heart-rending scene when Dorukan faces Lirian in mortal combat.