2006-09-03, 04:48 AM
Bayonet
Two-Handed Melee Weapon (see below)
5gp
1d3 (small) or 1d4 (medium)
20/x2
1lb
Piercing or slashing weapon

A bayonet is a small steel blade that is able to be attached onto the end of a musket. A player must have the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat to use a bayonet when attached to the musket. Attaching the blade requires a move action (or free action with Rapid Reload) and if attached does not prohibit the musket from firing normally. Using the bayonet requires the user to hold the gun with two hands (making it a two-handed weapon). It is impossible to attack efficiently with a bayonet-musket using one hand unless specially trained.

If a character attempts to use the bayonet unattached to a musket, it is counted as an improvised weapon and causes the standard -4 penalty to attack rolls. Also, because a character is physically holding only a blade, they must make a DC10 Dexterity check at the beginning of each round or deal damage to themselves equal to the appropriate damage die for the bayonet’s size.
Comments appreciated :)

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-03, 06:04 AM
A bayonet has a small shaft that is used when fixing the bayonette.
That could be held instead of the blade, negating the damage risk.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-09-03, 10:58 AM
Some bayonets are indestinguishable from daggers. I don't think there's that much trouble wielding a bayonet in your hands. Early bayonets where literally daggers with thin enough handles to stuff down the barrel. d20 modern already has bayonets, but I don't like that version.

The d20 modern bayonet is a d4 damage light weapon that you can attatch to a long arm to turn it into a double weapon dealing 1d4 piercing damage from the bayonet and 1d6 bludgeoning from the rifle butt (they do 1d6 damage anyway).

In d20 modern I usually ignore the rules about bayonets just like I ignore the d20 modern rules for Katana (2d6 damage for something that's shorter than a bastard sword?!). I say a bayonet is a dagger that you can combine with a rifle to make your long arm equivelant to a spear.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-03, 11:29 AM
Since this isn't one of the bayonets that keeps the gun from firing, it should at least impose a penalty on attack rolls made to fire the gun, because the weight of the bayonet will tend to interfere with aiming.

And I would make an unattached bayonet able to be wielded as a dagger.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-09-03, 12:36 PM
Since this isn't one of the bayonets that keeps the gun from firing, it should at least impose a penalty on attack rolls made to fire the gun, because the weight of the bayonet will tend to interfere with aiming.

A 1 lb bayonet on a 8 lb gun doesn't make too much differance. If you wanted to go down that route I'd only make it -1 (or -2 if you think that's a rounder number).

TheElfLord
2006-09-03, 01:48 PM
I would up the damage a little. Since adding a bayonet basically turns a long arm into a spear, it should do damage closer to what a spear does, at least 1d6.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-03, 03:00 PM
A 1 lb bayonet on a 8 lb gun doesn't make too much differance. If you wanted to go down that route I'd only make it -1 (or -2 if you think that's a rounder number).

Oh, yeah. A -1, for sure.

Eldred
2006-09-03, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I've taken them all into account, and have created a 2nd version of the musket. Comments again appreciated.
Bayonet
Two-Handed Melee Weapon (see below)
5gp
1d4 (small) or 1d6 (medium) (only when attached to musket)
20/x2
1lb
Piercing or slashing weapon

A bayonet is a small steel blade that is able to be attached onto the end of a musket. A player must have the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat to use a bayonet when it is attached to the musket.
Attaching the blade requires a move action (or free action with Rapid Reload) and if attached does not prohibit the musket from firing normally. However, the extra weight of the bayonet causes a -1 penalty to attack roles using the musket.
Using the bayonet requires the user to hold the gun with two hands (making it a two-handed weapon). It is impossible to attack efficiently with a bayonet-musket using one hand unless specially trained.
An unattached bayonet is considered a normal dagger when not attached to a musket and, as such, only deals 1d4/1d3 damage.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-03, 11:54 PM
Reverse the unguned-damage numbers, and you're good.