PDA

View Full Version : Q wanted the Faustian deal in the first place

JonahFalcon
2009-03-10, 05:40 PM
Um, didn't anyone notice that V wanted the Faustian deal.. She twisted Qarr's arm to get the application.

She was ready to sell her soul right there and then and if QARR was able to grant a Faustian contract, she would have signed it.

As I said elsewhere, the trio offered her an alternative because they wanted her to make a moral choice. There's no moral choice without a choice.

But V from the very beginning wanted to sell her soul.

Kaytara
2009-03-10, 06:06 PM
What do you mean, didn't anyone notice? :smallconfused: Exactly who has been saying otherwise?

Mando Knight
2009-03-10, 06:23 PM
The fiends noticed, and pointed it out in 634.

First panel of the third page, the purple guy: "Because this whole "sell your soul" thing? 100% your idea."

Siosilvar
2009-03-10, 06:30 PM
Um, didn't anyone notice that V wanted the Faustian deal.. She twisted Qarr's arm to get the application.

She was ready to sell her soul right there and then and if QARR was able to grant a Faustian contract, she would have signed it.

As I said elsewhere, the trio offered her an alternative because they wanted her to make a moral choice. There's no moral choice without a choice.

But V from the very beginning wanted to sell her soul.

I wouldn't say wanted to sell V's soul, but V was certainly willing to in order to save V's family.

JonahFalcon
2009-03-10, 07:11 PM

First panel of the third page, the purple guy: "Because this whole "sell your soul" thing? 100% your idea."

Yeah, but 75% of the board didn't. They're still trying to make it sound like V had no choice. V wanted the quickest solution - and by the way, it was the same ideology that made V fry Kobuto. Didn't care about the situation - and Hinjo's in trouble, though he doesn't know it yet.

Optimystik
2009-03-10, 07:38 PM
Yeah, but 75% of the board didn't.

And 80% of statistics...

Mr. Pin
2009-03-10, 08:09 PM
Look, V wanted the deal to save her family. She wanted it because it was the only feasible way to execute said saving-of-family. Yes, she asked for it, but that isn't because she just wanted power.

Teron
2009-03-10, 09:18 PM
Look, V wanted the deal to save her family. She wanted it because it was the only feasible way to execute said saving-of-family. Yes, she asked for it, but that isn't because she just wanted power.
Initially, perhaps. But the fiends pointed out in no uncertain terms that there was an alternative solution, and that all it would cost Vaarsuvius is his pride. He explicitely accepted the deal for selfish reasons.

NerfTW
2009-03-10, 09:25 PM

Yeah, that was the whole point of the "all the wrong reasons" title. They even gave V the oppurtunity to not take it, and he/she refused. This point is like stating "HEY! Did you notice in Romeo and Juliet, they wouldn't have needed to take such drastic measures if their parents weren't fighting?!"

NO KIDDING.

multilis
2009-03-11, 01:21 AM
Initially, perhaps. But the fiends pointed out in no uncertain terms that there was an alternative solution...
And of course we can trust the *fiends* that this alternate solution would work... that they wouldn't for example stop the Imp from teleporting away once V cut off own head, and then do something nasty to V.

Some people have crazy idea that fiends are all bad, but these 3 are good guys.

Zerg Cookie
2009-03-11, 01:33 AM
SoD spoiler:
Xykon told Redcloak that evilness is about how far you go before admitting error...
V had a choice that didn't revolve qaround selling her soul
But she just wouldn't admit error...

wykydtron
2009-03-11, 01:38 AM
Initially, perhaps. But the fiends pointed out in no uncertain terms that there was an alternative solution, and that all it would cost Vaarsuvius is his pride. He explicitely accepted the deal for selfish reasons.

Yah, but she would also have to cut off her own head. I think that might have swayed my hand alittle.

Zerg Cookie
2009-03-11, 01:49 AM
Yah, but she would also have to cut off her own head. I think that might have swayed my hand alittle.

But Durkon can raise her...
Cutting her head off and being raised won't damn her soul for eternity, and she could still save her kids :smalltongue:

And if somebody is going to whine about the level loss, the ABD wants to friggin' soulbind them!

magic9mushroom
2009-03-11, 02:01 AM
Yeah, but 75% of the board didn't. They're still trying to make it sound like V had no choice. V wanted the quickest solution - and by the way, it was the same ideology that made V fry Kobuto. Didn't care about the situation - and Hinjo's in trouble, though he doesn't know it yet.

V suggested it because she was desperate and had no choice.

"V suggested it" and "V had no choice" are not mutually exclusive.

And:

There are lies, there are damned lies, and there are statistics.

Most of the board noticed. You just didn't notice them noticing.

LtNOWIS
2009-03-11, 05:02 AM
I think if saving one's family is absolutely paramount, than the deal with the devil has slightly greater prospects for success than the whole decapitation scheme. V can instantaneously go over and start kicking the dragon's tail, not wait for other people to think and act.

Certainly, V could use that logic.

HandofShadows
2009-03-11, 05:07 AM
Considering that the dragon was just about to munch down on the kids, I would say the fiends "alternative" had no chance of success and was really a mind screw to get V to question vis motivations and make V more easily manipulated into doing evil in the future.