PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Animal Friend

asromta
2006-08-31, 02:44 PM
Animal Friend

Animal Friends are persons who spend a lot of their time with animals and their animal companion. As a result they generally lack in other area's, but their bond with their animal companion is much stronger.

Requirements:

Skills: Handle Animal 8 ranks, Knowledge(nature) 4 ranks

Feats: Animal Affinity

Special: Animal Companion class feature.

Special: Able to cast 1st level divine spells.

Class Skills:
Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Jump, Knowledge(nature), Profession, Ride, Spellcraft, Survival, Swim

Skill points each level: 4+int mod

Good Saves: Fortitude, Reflex

BAB: Medium (as cleric)

Hit Dice: d8

Class Features:

Proficiency: An Animal Friend gains no proficiencies.

Level Special.............................. Spells per day
1 Improved Animal Companion, Wild Empaty
2 Companion spell (1st)............. +1 level of divine caster
3 Extended Spells, Permanent Magic Fang +1 level of divine caster
4 Companion spell (2nd).................+1 level of divine caster
5 Companion spell (3rd).................+1 level of divine caster

Improved Animal Companion (ex): An Animals Friends Animal Companion is vastly superior to a normal Animal Companion. For each level in Animal Friend that you gain, you gain 2 effective levels in Druid to detemine the strenght of you Animal Companion. If this effect causes you to have more than 20 effective druid levels before level 20, use the epic progression.

Wild Empaty (ex): An Animal Friend can use Wild Empaty, just like a Druid. Animal Friend levels stack with Druid and Ranger levels for the purpose of Wild Empaty.

Spells per day: From 2nd level a Animal Friend gains extra spells per day, as if they gained a level in a divine spell casting class to which they belonged before adding the prestige class.

Companion spell (sp): At 2nd level your Animal Companion gains the ability to cast a first level divine spell that you can cast as a spell-like ability 1/day.

At 4th level your Animal Companion also gains the ability to cast a second level divine spell that you can cast as a spell-like ability 1/day. You can instead choose to have your Animal Companion cast 2 extra level 1 spells per day, these level 1 spells can be extra uses of already existing spell-like abilities, or new spells.

At 5th level your Animal Companion also gains the ability to cast a third level divine spell that you can cast as a spell-like ability 1/day. You can instead choose to have your Animal Companion cast 3 extra level 1 spells or a level 2 and a level 1 spell per day, these spells can be extra uses of already existing spell-like abilities, or new spells.

The saves for this effect depend on the Animal Companions Wisdom and the spells have use your caster level.

You can not select any spell with this ability that has a material component over 1 GP or costs XP to cast.

Extended Spells (su): From 3rd level any spells that you cast and affect you animal companion have a longer duration as if they were Extended with the Extend Spell metamagic feat. This effect works only on your animal companion, if a spell affects your animal companion and another creature only the animal companion benefits from the longer duration.

Permanent Magic Fang (su): From 3rd level your animal companion is permanently under the effects of the Magic Fang spell, giving it a +1 enchantment bonus on attack and damage rolls with all its natural weapons.

knightsaline
2006-09-01, 06:14 AM
you do realise that this PrC could bve taken as soon as second level? that leaves you with 14 levels to play with once you fill out this class. most PrCs go for ten levels unless they are truly overpowered. good work on the class otherwise.

Single Shot Zombie
2006-09-01, 09:03 AM
5th level, actually. 8 ranks in Handle Animal.

What I find a little odd is the class skill selection. Diplomacy doesn't really seem to fit the flavor text given.

Animal Friend

Animal Friends are persons who spend a lot of their time with animals and their animal companion. As a result they generally lack in other area's, but their bond with their animal companion is much stronger.

Being better at talking with animals, I don't really think the animal friend would be too comfortable around people.

Also, seeing as this is an animal-based class, some other abilities in line of that would be nice. Like, say, speak with animals SLA, levels count towards wild empathy checks etc.

Otherwise, this could be an interesting PrC to play.

asromta
2006-09-01, 09:05 AM
8 ranks in Handle Animal = Minimum level 5.

And if it was 10 level, your Animal Companion could get far stonger than normal, with 5 levels it is just 5 levels a head.

Edit: Yes, the levels should stack with Wild Empaty, I thought that it runs of Diplomacy for some reason. I am going to change that.

kingofthemorning
2006-09-01, 11:25 AM
I like the idea, sounds fun.

Only other comment is that there seems to be a typo in weapon proficiencies.

knightsaline
2006-09-02, 10:19 AM
sorry, but I stand with it being second level. i quote

The druid’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...Handle Animal (Cha) and Knowledge (nature)
did you forget the 4 X skill points at first level? I thought not.

where did you get fifth level from?

kingofthemorning
2006-09-02, 04:09 PM
I'm pretty sure he's right about the fifth level. I'm not sure about this, but don't you have to have those requirments for a level or something like that? So you don't fufill the requirment and get the PrC in the same level?

asromta
2006-09-02, 04:15 PM
You can have only 3+level ranks in a class skill. 8 ranks means being level 5 minimal. 8 ranks in something is a common way to make sure you can get into the PrC only after level 5.

Randomman413
2006-09-02, 06:50 PM
You know, you could get into this with levels of cleric and the Gain Familiar feat. It was presented in an online supplement from wizards. It gives you a druid's animal companion. And isn't there another feat that makes one or a few skills permanent class skills?

asromta
2006-09-03, 05:03 PM
I don't see what is wrong with a Cleric taking this class, if he has a feat to get an animal companion.

knightsaline
2006-09-03, 08:41 PM
damn, i was pwned. sorry about that, I just thought that you got to add 4 ranks to a class skill everytime you level up.