PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] ghostly arm graft

Bugbeartrap
2009-03-10, 09:53 PM
Ok, currently I'm making a gray elf necropolitan carmendine monk 2/ swashbuckler 3/ assassin 5 (Hooray for DEX and INT!). My question is concerning how the ghostly arm graft from Libris Mortis works. It says its a touch attack that does 1d6 damage and doesn't add strength to damage, but Insightful strike and Shadow Blade (from TOB) allow me to add INT and DEX to damage. Could I add INT and DEX to this attack? If so, hooray for minor surgery!

Assassin89
2009-03-10, 10:42 PM
I don't think it will work, because I think touch attacks do not inflict increased damage with a modifier to either strength or dexterity.

Yukitsu
2009-03-10, 10:45 PM
Insightful strike does, but shadow hand doesn't, as ghostly touch attacks aren't listed on the shadow hand manuevers, unless your DM states that you are allowed to use it as an unarmed strike.

Bugbeartrap
2009-03-10, 11:00 PM
Thanks, I know Standard Operating Proceduretm is to ask the DM. But since I don't have a campaign for him yet, I don't have a DM to turn to, besides the talented playgrounders. If I did, I'd also ask if I could use my monk unarmed damage. As it is I'll probably use him as an NPC in a campaign I'm writing.

sonofzeal
2009-03-10, 11:15 PM
Ok, currently I'm making a gray elf necropolitan carmendine monk 2/ swashbuckler 3/ assassin 5 (Hooray for DEX and INT!). My question is concerning how the ghostly arm graft from Libris Mortis works. It says its a touch attack that does 1d6 damage and doesn't add strength to damage, but Insightful strike and Shadow Blade (from TOB) allow me to add INT and DEX to damage. Could I add INT and DEX to this attack? If so, hooray for minor surgery!
The question is whether the bonus is normally in addition to strength, or replaces strength. Insightful Strike is in addition and would stack; Shadow Blade replaces, but since there's nothing to replace it doesn't do anything (even if you rule it as an unarmed strike to qualify). Make sense?

Bugbeartrap
2009-03-10, 11:29 PM
Hmmm... my version of shadow blade doesn't say it replaces strength but says "you can add your dexterity modifier as a bonus on melee damage..."

I understand it technically not qualifying as it is not an "unarmed" attack.