PDA

View Full Version : Arc resolution speculation [spoilers]

NotNale
2009-03-11, 08:10 AM
While I haven't been very accurate at predicting this strip at all, I just had an idea for a resolution of this arc that would be surprising without violating the rules of dramatic storytelling.

Unlike some here, I have no desire to see V utterly destroyed by hir tragic flaw, and I had an idea for a happy resolution that would satisfy the necessary 'fall' but offer the chance of redemption common in non-Greek tragedies.

What I think might happen
I see V rejecting the soul splice before doing too much damage to the world - a rejection that becomes a struggle in which V "redeems" hirself from the sin of pride that has led hir down this path. V's guilt over accepting the bargain drives hir to redeem hirself in ways other than the pursuit of ultimate arcane power, but the fear of the consequences (eventual demon/daemon/? servitude) hangs over hir for quite some time.

I'm not sure if V will kill the dragon first or simply drive it off and put hir family under the protection of hir master or some other powerful entity. Driving it off would compromise hir effectiveness for the rest of the strip as s/he would need to keep powerful spells in reserve just in case it reappeared - so the consequences continue to haunt the order, but V is redeemed and begins hir journey back to "humanity" (elfanity?). This would not be without consequences for V's family and hir guilt over exposing them to danger would further advance V character.

V is humbled by hir weakness, but the humbling happens without further destruction.

Thoughts?

Laughing Dragon
2009-03-11, 08:59 AM
Very elegant. The only way I see this happening is for V to eat a very large portion of crow (maybe hir own familier, finally a use for the thing).

If (and it's a big if) V would do this, then your scenerio might be possible. With or without ABD complications this is a much happier outcome than most of the rest of these threads.

I will cross my toes and pray that it comes to pass.

NotNale
2009-03-11, 09:17 AM
We will see.

I think that a lot of these "speculation threads"

If (and it's a big if) V would do this, then your scenerio might be possible. With or without ABD complications this is a much happier outcome than most of the rest of these threads.
are getting carried away with the current track of V's spiral. I think (hope?) that the path is not irreversible, though it would require some deft storytelling to be believable and satisfy the dramatic requirements of the narrative. I trust Rich to pull it off, and hope something like the above will happen -- though I concede that V's utter destruction is also possible.

Nenec
2009-03-11, 09:42 AM
Funny, I thought something like that as well as an alternative to mate and children's death, but it seems too much an happy ending with so few consequences to happen.

Often Normal
2009-03-11, 09:44 AM
Whatever else happens I see V killing SOMEONE important and/or innocent after the soul splice ends seemingly at random to everyone else. The killing could also be substituted for other evil act to further the FCC's plans that will appear illogical to the rest of the Order.

DomaDoma
2009-03-12, 12:47 PM
I've been looking over the threads, and I'm simply astounded that apparently nobody thought of this as an option. Amazing what a little loaded language can do.

The Soul Splice doesn't end by slipping away. The Soul Splice ends, in the technical sense of ending that particular arrangement, when V's willpower succumbs and the three spirits take over completely. That's how willpower usually factors into possession, after all, and the ones doing the possessing don't really seem as though they are too eager to go.

David Argall
2009-03-12, 01:28 PM
I see V rejecting the soul splice before doing too much damage to the world - a rejection that becomes a struggle in which V "redeems" hirself from the sin of pride that has led hir down this path.
Now the question is why she would do this. Right now he is a kid with a new toy. Why should she decide this is a bad deal?

I'm not sure if V will kill the dragon first or simply drive it off and put hir family under the protection of hir master or some other powerful entity. Driving it off would compromise hir effectiveness for the rest of the strip
Which pretty much means the dragon has to die.

Morgan Wick
2009-03-14, 04:21 AM
I've been looking over the threads, and I'm simply astounded that apparently nobody thought of this as an option. Amazing what a little loaded language can do.

The Soul Splice doesn't end by slipping away. The Soul Splice ends, in the technical sense of ending that particular arrangement, when V's willpower succumbs and the three spirits take over completely. That's how willpower usually factors into possession, after all, and the ones doing the possessing don't really seem as though they are too eager to go.

Main problem with it that I can think of is that it's still three souls.

Jason
2009-03-14, 11:44 AM
Interesting, isn't it, that the fate of a character that was added to the strip at the last minute (see Rich's notes in On the Origin of PCs) has caused so much traffic on the site that the forum has had to be shut down to get it under control.

David Argall
2009-03-14, 05:57 PM
That's just the strip in general, which has become too popular for its own good in some respects.