PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Phoenix Knight

amanodel
2006-09-02, 09:27 PM
Another PrC from my campaign setting work. I suppose there are plenty of similar classes and prc's around, but I felt like I have to make my own. 'Cos mighty knights with flaming swords rock.

Again, comments, ideas, flaws pointed out, etc. are welcome.

Phoenix Knight

Phoenix Knights were originally the champions of the Arabondian Kingdom, but now are open to the public. They are courageus, chivalrous, good-mannered knights, fighting evil, and the enemies of the kingdom. They are the champions of justice along with the paladins.

Pheonix knight are most often fighters, but other meelee-oriented classes also make good phoenix knights.

Hit Die
d10.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Phoenix Kinght, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus
+5.
Skills
Diplomacy 5 ranks.
Feats
Mounted Combat.
Alignement
Non-evil, non-chaotic.
Special
Must drink from the holy blood of the phoenix in a ritual.

Class Skills
The Phoenix Knight’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Speak Language, and Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level
2 + Int modifier.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Fire Resistance 5
2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Aura of Courage
3rd +3 +3 +1 +1
4th +4 +4 +1 +1 Flaming Sword, 1 minute / day
5th +5 +4 +1 +1 Fire Resistance 10
6th +6 +5 +2 +2 Scorching Ray, 1 / day
7th +7 +5 +2 +2 Flaming Sword, 2 minutes / day
8th +8 +6 +2 +2
9th +9 +6 +3 +3 Fire Resistance 15, Scorching Ray, 2 / day
10th +10 +7 +3 +3 Flaming Sword, 3 minutes / day

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A phoenix knight is proficient with light, medium and heavy armors, shileds (but not tower shileds), and with simple and martial weapons.

Fire Resistance (Su)
At first level the phoenix knight gains Fire Resistance, 5. Every four level thereafter, this resistance grows by 5.

Aura of Courage (Su)
Beginning at 2nd level, a phoenix knight is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions while the phoenix knight is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.

Flaming Sword (Su)
Beggining at 4th level, the phoenix knight can channel energy into his sword (and only sword), making it burn. The sword gains +1d6 fire damage (if he already has a magic fire weapon, the effects are cumulative), and can hit enemies as if it was a +5 weapon (such as incorporeal, magical creatures). He can activate this ability as a standard action, and dismiss it as a free action. At 4th level he can use this ability 1 minute / day, which increases by 1 minute every three levels thereafter. However, it can be used non-consecutive times. The phoenix knight can try to use the ability longer, but he must make a Fort save vs 15 + 1 / every turn outside his limits. If he fails he becomes exhausted. If he dismisses the ability when he's already over his limits, he becomes fatigued.

Scorching Ray (Sp)
Starting from 6th level, the phoenix kinght can use Scorching Ray (as the spell) one time a day. Caster level 1. He gains an additional use / day at every three levels thereafter.

Ex-Phoenix Knights
A phoenix knight who commits an evil act knowingly, or becomes evil or chaotic in alignment, looses his class features other than the weapon and armor proficiency. This cannot be reversed.

Gralamin
2006-09-03, 12:22 AM
DR/+1 or +2 or +3 or +4 or +5 was replaced with DR/Magic in 3.5

Also You use the name phoenix, yet this class has nothing to do with rebirth.

The Demented One
2006-09-03, 01:14 AM
Kinda similar to my Phoenix Feather Sentinel (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11563553 70;start=0#0), just to shamelessly plug myself. The class seems balanced, possibly even underpowered, but I can't say the flavor or abilities are really stir anything.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-03, 06:02 AM
Phoenix Knight...

...Ace Attourney!
*shot*

amanodel
2006-09-03, 07:39 AM
DR/+1 or +2 or +3 or +4 or +5 was replaced with DR/Magic in 3.5

??? I didn't use DR in this class. There are monsters which can only be hit with a +1 or +3 weapon at least, but the weapon deals damage normally if fulfills that criteria.

Also You use the name phoenix, yet this class has nothing to do with rebirth.

Because they are not were-phoenixes, just knights. They are odinary humans with some divine boost, rebirth would be out of place.

Kinda similar to my Phoenix Feather Sentinel, just to shamelessly plug myself. The class seems balanced, possibly even underpowered, but I can't say the flavor or abilities are really stir anything.

Yeah, pretty similar ;D

Sorry for I didn't wirte a long flavour text describing their role, this is a part of a larger project, and I left fleshing out for the last step, an I'm not there yet. I didn't want to make half-phoenixes, just an ordinary knight with some extra boost.