PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Intuitive Learner (Version 2.0)

Toxic Avenger
2006-08-26, 03:32 AM
I brought up this idea for a new feat a couple weeks ago. Based on some of the comments I received, I have revised the feat.

Intuitive Learner [General]
You aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you have learned how to use your intuition to acquire new skills.
Prerequisites: Int 10, Wisdom 13, 3rd level.

When determining bonus skill points gained at each level, you use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Intelligence modifier. However, these extra skill points may not be used to gain ranks in Intelligence based skills or "Trained only" skills that are not based on Wisdom.

All other skill points may still be spent as normal.

Honest, constructive criticism is both welcome and appreciated...excessive sarcasm and passive-aggressiveness is not.

Thank you.

Dhavaer
2006-08-26, 03:58 AM

But I like excessive sarcasm.

It looks interesting. Definitely good for ninja.

wippit
2006-08-26, 05:00 AM
You only begin to gain the bonus at 3rd level, and you need an int of 10 over and above your wisdom, which I assume the player will have higher.

Since you can't take it at first level, I would get rid of the restriction on what skills you can take. if it was at 1st level, and you get the x4 effect, then it might be required.

Toxic Avenger
2006-08-30, 10:51 AM
I usually like a full helping of sarcasm, but too much of it doesn't help me much when I'm trying to balance a new feat. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind. ;)

(If you're interested enough to dig through the archives, you might find a couple fine examples of what doesn't help me here.)

Hooray! Someone else who thinks that I may have nerfed this too much! :)

Originally, I had set the feat so that it could be taken at first level, and the restriction was only for Intelligence skills. Someone suggested adding a level requirement, which I thought was reasonable. Then someone else (see excessive sarcasm and passive-aggressiveness) thought it was still too powerful, just because druids are broken.

More comments, please? I'd really like some more input so I can balance this thing.

NullAshton
2006-08-30, 05:04 PM
Seems perfectly fine the way it is. Monks don't really need intelligence skills, for example. Wisdom and intelligence generally don't go together. And you can still use your 4/6/whatever skill points for intelligence based skills. You really only need to spend one skill point per skill per level beyond first.

Toxic Avenger
2006-08-30, 08:51 PM
Ok, that's a relief that no one has said that the feat is still broken. Of course, my PAL from the previous thread would probably still think it's broken.

Does anyone else have any thoughts? I would really like more input.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-30, 09:13 PM
This would go a long way towards defeating one of the thirteen quadrillion things that I can't refute about monks being underpowered. This does, however, seem like a first-level feat; it has to do with the basic psychological makeup of the character, so maybe you could revise it to be steeply available at first level?

Toxic Avenger
2006-09-02, 09:01 AM
Eighth_Seraph, the reasons I had it at third level were:

1. For balance reasons, so that Intelligence still matters to some degree. (not getting the x4 bonus skill points at 1st level)

2. It takes time to adapt to a different way of learning. But, as this could feasibly be done by 1st level, it is at really at 3rd level for balance reasons only. So, um, ah, er, just forget point number 2. :-/

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think now it's just a question of whether it should be a 1st level feat, or 3rd level or higher.

I'll be playtesting it with two characters, one starting at 3rd level and one at 1st level. I guess that's the only real way to find out if this feat is going to work anyway.

Thanks again.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-02, 01:19 PM
Alright, if this thread isn't dead and buried by the time you're done playtesting, let us know the results, would ya?

Toxic Avenger
2006-09-03, 02:47 AM
Heh.

This thread will most definitely be buried by the time I'm done, but I'll try to remember to let you know anyway.