PDA

View Full Version : If V disentegrates the ABD...[spoiler]

Olo Demonsbane
2009-03-11, 07:38 PM
There won't be a body left. Then

V's master will show up, and think that the entirely evil looking person is the one who hurt V's family. An epic confrontation will ensure.

David Argall
2009-03-11, 08:08 PM
Not much chance. In fact about zero. V's master is in a tower presumably far away where he is hard to bother/contact. Nor does it seem to have much to offer the plot.

Kittenwolf
2009-03-11, 09:06 PM
Nor does it seem to have much to offer the plot.

Ooh, personally, I feel that it could offer quite a bit to the plot. Everything from the good ole "Look at what you have become?!" to the natural extrapolation of "I can't go crying to my master again", which is "Bwahahahahaa! Time to die old man! When I left you I was but a learner, now I am the master!"

Of course, unless the Dragon is already injured, that one Disintegrate is not capable of the damage output needed to kill the ABD, so the point is moot :)

Morgan Wick
2009-03-12, 12:47 PM
Aarindarius has no reason to show up whatsoever. No one's contacted him.

David Argall
2009-03-12, 01:14 PM
Ooh, personally, I feel that it could offer quite a bit to the plot. Everything from the good ole "Look at what you have become?!" to the natural extrapolation of "I can't go crying to my master again", which is "Bwahahahahaa! Time to die old man! When I left you I was but a learner, now I am the master!"

Each of these seem to require development that was not made. [We might note here that "Look at what you have become would fit better coming from Haley because we have seen the two associating.] Putting them in now seems more like tacking them on than carrying out the story. And they all seem like one strip items.

tis_tom
2009-03-12, 02:24 PM
I reckon that V has tried to disintegrate the dragon's wings... if that was successful then you'd have a dragon without flight, which would make it helpless against V-dog! Hence why they didn't show where V was aiming..

As for Aarandarius though, he'd have to show up at -some- point or there wouldn't have been much point in Rich introducing him! So maybe a fight will ensue? :-D

Kobold-Bard
2009-03-13, 09:28 AM

Of course, unless the Dragon is already injured, that one Disintegrate is not capable of the damage output needed to kill the ABD, so the point is moot :)

Unless it fails its Fort Save of course. Which given that V's Caster Level is now absurdly high, is a relatively real possibility.

chionophile
2009-03-13, 10:37 AM
Unless it fails its Fort Save of course. Which given that V's Caster Level is now absurdly high, is a relatively real possibility.

Even then, Disintegrate doesn't deal enough damage to kill it - it's capped at 40d6 (240 max) and an ABD has more health than that.

As to the original post... even assuming Aarindarius doesn't believe any of V's protestations of innocence, he could always just ask V's mate what happened. Problem solved.

Theodoriph
2009-03-13, 10:41 AM
Even then, Disintegrate doesn't deal enough damage to kill it - it's capped at 40d6 (240 max) and an ABD has more health than that.

As to the original post... even assuming Aarindarius doesn't believe any of V's protestations of innocence, he could always just ask V's mate what happened. Problem solved.

As has been stated in other threads, if it's a critical hit, V could kill the dragon with one disintegrate.

The Neoclassic
2009-03-13, 10:45 AM
It'd be awesome, but I don't think it's particularly likely. Too much else that needs to still get done in the plot; I think they'll move on from V fairly soon.

JoshuaZ
2009-03-14, 11:55 AM

Save DCs for spells are not increased by the caster level directly. The saving throw DC is 10 + the level of the spell + primary ability modifier. So having a high caster level doesn't alter this at all. Now, with the Soul Splice V may have grafted on a few feats from the souls as well which could possibly increase his save DCs. We can guess what some of those feats are (assuming he got their magic related feats)

One of the souls was that of a necromancer. So almost certainly he has spell focus(necromancy).
One of the souls was a conjurer so he might have Spell Focus (Conjuration). However, this is less likely since many conjuration spells don't allow saves so spell focus doesn't help much.

These are the only two feats we can be reasonable sure about. Disintegrate is in the Transmutation school. Given V's prior fondness for Disintegrate he might already have Spell Focus(Disintegrate) in which case it wouldn't stack with one of the other souls having it. It is possible that one of the other souls had Greater Spell Focus (Transmutation) or even Epic Spell Focus(Transmutation) but we don't have any good reason to believe that.

The Minx
2009-03-14, 02:41 PM
There won't be a body left. Then

V's master will show up, and think that the entirely evil looking person is the one who hurt V's family. An epic confrontation will ensure.

If the ABD can recognize V at a glance, then A should be able to do so too. :smallconfused: