PDA

View Full Version : (4e) bards and barbarians?

gabado
2009-03-11, 10:26 PM
has anyone heard anything about any previews of bards?

yes, yes i know your all like "come on man, bards are for nubes and song writers!" what ever :smallannoyed:, just has anyone heard of any bard previews lately?

also, any word on barbarians?

NecroRebel
2009-03-11, 10:44 PM

yes, yes i know your all like "come on man, bards are for nubes and song writers!" what ever :smallannoyed:, just has anyone heard of any bard previews lately?

There's not going to be any new bard previews. The class was confirmed as coming out in the PHB2 a long time ago, and PHB2 comes out next Tuesday, March 17th.

NPCMook
2009-03-11, 11:22 PM
They actually did a level 1-10 Preview of the bard in the same issue with the Barbarian, except they only gave you 1 type of build and it was the Charisma Build

RTGoodman
2009-03-11, 11:26 PM
As others said, the preview of the Bard can be found in Dragon Magazine #369. You can see the preview HERE (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dramp/20081103) if you have a D&D Insider account.

If you don't have access to that, well, Player's Handbook 2 comes out next Tuesday or Wednesday and WILL have the Bard. I think it'll definitely be worth it, 'cause from the previews at least the Bard in 4E looks pretty badass.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-12, 12:44 AM
If you absolutely can't wait, there's a thread over here (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=441229) by someone who got their PHB2 early.

Townopolis
2009-03-12, 12:49 AM
They actually did a level 1-10 Preview of the bard in the same issue with the Barbarian, except they only gave you 1 type of build and it was the Charisma Build

Um... as far as we know, all bard builds are going to be primarily Charisma based.

The two base bard types will be Cha/Int and Cha/Con.

From personal experience playing a level 6 gnome bard of cunning (cha/int) I can say they pretty much kick butt and take names.

Already have my money saved up for when the PHB2 comes out.

RTGoodman
2009-03-12, 01:26 AM
From personal experience playing a level 6 gnome bard of cunning (cha/int) I can say they pretty much kick butt and take names.

Already have my money saved up for when the PHB2 comes out.

Oh yeah, they really do look awesome. My current idea for a Bard is a Half-Elf Bard who focuses on being a real jack-of-all-trades, taking a bunch of multiclass feats and stuff and getting as many different kinds of powers as possible. I think there's a feat or Paragon Path for Half-Elves in PHB2 or Dragon Mag or something that improves their Dilettante feature to be at-will, and there's all kinds of other stuff like that. The only problem is the ability score prerequisites, but I figure I can pick up a couple of them at least.

I ordered my copy of PHB2 via Amazon, so I don't know exactly when I'll get it, but I can't wait.

Charity
2009-03-12, 04:10 AM
Half elves are going to be ever so popular after the PHB II comes out.
A Half elf bard is going to be like having a blank cheque at the pick 'n' mix.

NPCMook
2009-03-12, 04:18 AM
I ordered my copy of PHB2 via Amazon, so I don't know exactly when I'll get it, but I can't wait.I know that feeling "Hay guy, you ordered your book like 2 months ago... sorry but we just didn't have enough to send you one"

Tengu_temp
2009-03-12, 05:04 AM

Getting defensive and jumping to conclusions, and completely wrong conclusions on top of that, before anyone even says anything is not a very good way of earning respect on a forum, I'd say.

I'd also say I'm annoyed that only subscribers can read the previews (this stuff should be for free), but hey, PHB2 is out in less than a week - I can wait that much.

Charity
2009-03-12, 08:51 AM
moar bard preview just for Tengu

http://citan82.livejournal.com/2210.html#cutid1

Author has an anti bard slant, but has useful info none the less.

For those wondering what I was on about earlier

Half elves are going to be ever so popular after the PHB II comes out.
A Half elf bard is going to be like having a blank cheque at the pick 'n' mix.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21677604@N00/3340226149/sizes/l/
Versatile master + Bards multiple multiclassing = most versatile character in 4e

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-12, 09:21 AM

Quick and dirty overview:

Arcane Leader (controller, secondary)

Proficiency up to Chainmail armor, light shields. A few military sword proficiencies and military ranged weapons. Can use wands and special bard-only implements (songblades, magic instruments)

CHA based attacks regardless of build. Secondary is CON for Valorous bards (grant allies temp HP) or INT for Cunning Bards (slide allies around the battlefield). Most attacks are ranged/implement. Some are melee weapon.

5 starting skills, large class skill list.

Ritual caster as bonus feat. Special bard-only rituals that bards can cast X number of times a day without expending components (X based on level).

Multiclass Versatility: You can multiclass into multiple classes.

Skill Versatility: +1 with untrained skill checks.

Bonus healing during short rests for whole party. Minor action healing spell lets target shift. Encounter power that grants big bonus to diplomacy (because that comes up allot... intended for skill challenges?)

Nothing out on Paragon Paths yet, but presumably there is at least one that changes/augments paragon multiclassing for bards, as they are the only class that can have more than one secondary class.

Tengu_temp
2009-03-12, 12:04 PM
moar bard preview just for Tengu

http://citan82.livejournal.com/2210.html#cutid1

Author has an anti bard slant, but has useful info none the less.

Song of Storms just screams power metal to me - a thunderbolt that zaps enemies and covers your and allies' weapons in lightning? Awesome.

alchemyprime
2009-03-12, 12:54 PM
Maybe its just me, but Song of Storms makes me think of this. (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/z64inwml.mid) And I will require bards to play that for Song of Storms...

Townopolis
2009-03-12, 05:00 PM
Wow, looks like a half-elf bard will really be able to mix and match to their desire. And, so long as you still use Int for your reflex (since half-elves will usually be valorous bards) you'll still qualify for jack of all trades and linguist.

Still going to favor my gnomies though, I can only hope they get an equally awesome paragon tier feat.

Thajocoth
2009-03-12, 05:13 PM
There's a Bard preview in Dragon 369 that goes up to level 10. A player in a campaign I'm running playing a Dwarven Bard with this preview. They're like battle conductors, waving their wand from the back like a maestro, moving everyone else (allies and enemies) into positions, and healing the wounded (nowhere near as well as a Cleric though... They're closer to Warlord.)

Townopolis
2009-03-12, 05:51 PM
Bard is a slightly better healer than a warlord at 1st level, and that gap slowly increases. They are still not as good as a laser cleric though. Here's a basic rundown of healing.

First: 3.5 is the average result of 1d6.

Assuming both the bard and the cleric have a modifier of 4 from their charisma or wisdom respectively:

Level 1
Bard: Surge+4
Cleric: Surge+7.5 (1d6)
Warlord: Surge+3.5 (1d6)

Since charisma and wisdom are the primary attributes for the bard and laser cleric, we can assume they'll be pumping them at every opportunity.
Level 11
Bard: Surge+12 (2d6)
Cleric: Surge+15.5 (3d6)
Warlord: Surge+10.5 (3d6)

Level 21
Bard: Surge+21 (4d6)
Cleric: Surge+24.5 (5d6)
Warlord: Surge+17.5 (5d6)

Level 30
Bard: Surge+25.5 (5d6)
Cleric: Surge+29 (6d6)
Warlord: Surge+21 (6d6)

The cleric remains 3.5 healing above the bard. The bard starts .5 points above the warlord, ending up 4.5 above the warlord at level 30.

Mando Knight
2009-03-12, 05:56 PM
The cleric remains 3.5 healing above the bard. The bard starts .5 points above the warlord, ending up 4.5 above the warlord at level 30.

Unless the Warlord took the Martial Power feats Improved Inspiring Word and Tactical Inspiration (the latter an Eladrin-only feat), which grant the Warlord's Charisma or Intelligence modifiers, respectively, to the amount healed. An Eladrin Tactical or Resourceful Warlord with both may end up with more healing power than a Cleric or a Bard.

Townopolis
2009-03-12, 06:27 PM
In which case we will have to hold our judgement of comparative healing capabilities until both Divine Power and Arcane Power are out in order to get a fair comparison.

gabado
2009-03-12, 07:20 PM
Oh yeah, they really do look awesome. My current idea for a Bard is a Half-Elf Bard who focuses on being a real jack-of-all-trades, taking a bunch of multiclass feats and stuff and getting as many different kinds of powers as possible. I think there's a feat or Paragon Path for Half-Elves in PHB2 or Dragon Mag or something that improves their Dilettante feature to be at-will, and there's all kinds of other stuff like that. The only problem is the ability score prerequisites, but I figure I can pick up a couple of them at least.

I ordered my copy of PHB2 via Amazon, so I don't know exactly when I'll get it, but I can't wait.

yah cool idea, i also ordered mine earlier this weak, i can't wait only five more days plus shipping, I'm so exited :smallbiggrin:

NPCMook
2009-03-12, 08:22 PM
yah cool idea, i also ordered mine earlier this weak, i can't wait only five more days plus shipping, I'm so exited :smallbiggrin:

Just so you know Amazon has a pretty decent Track Record of not getting enough to send out in the time requested so You may end up waiting a few months... I've had to do this a few times.

RTGoodman
2009-03-12, 09:38 PM
Just so you know Amazon has a pretty decent Track Record of not getting enough to send out in the time requested so You may end up waiting a few months... I've had to do this a few times.

See, I hear this a lot, but personally I've never had a problem. I know they dropped the ball a bunch for 4E Core books, but I'm thinking that was less Amazon's fault and more that there simply weren't enough printed and ready to ship in time. PHB2 is gonna be pretty big, but not like the premier of the edition.

gabado
2009-03-12, 09:50 PM
i agree i have never had to wait more than a weak on anything i got off Amazon.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-12, 11:04 PM
i agree i have never had to wait more than a weak on anything i got off Amazon.

Really? Have you ever used their free super-saver shipping? In my experience, "super-saver" appears to be Swahili for "pay now, receive never."

Alteran
2009-03-12, 11:33 PM
Song of Storms just screams power metal to me - a thunderbolt that zaps enemies and covers your and allies' weapons in lightning? Awesome.

Danger, Danger - High Voltage! :smallbiggrin:

Really? Have you ever used their free super-saver shipping? In my experience, "super-saver" appears to be Swahili for "pay now, receive never."

I've only used it twice, but their free shipping has always been quite fast for me. Less than a week on both occasions, IIRC. Results may vary, of course.

Starscream
2009-03-13, 02:30 AM
I ordered my core books from Amazon, and used the Super Saver Shipping, and it got to me with rather alarming speed. Of course, I'm probably just the Rule that Proves the Exceptions, as someone must be getting their orders shipped for them to run out.

Nightson
2009-03-13, 04:15 AM

Having used super saver to place hundreds of orders over the years I yet to have a product not delivered by Amazon, the worst that's ever happened is something showing up two weeks late.

Mando Knight
2009-03-14, 12:11 PM
Having used super saver to place hundreds of orders over the years I yet to have a product not delivered by Amazon, the worst that's ever happened is something showing up two weeks late.

I reiterate his statement. With the exception of my 4E core set, Super-Saver has always worked admirably for me and my family while ordering off of Amazon. My mother specifically shops around to add an extra buck or two if necessary to qualify for free shipping...

gabado
2009-03-14, 12:14 PM
any way as exiting as the deliver speed of Amazon is, the original topic was bards in forth edition, also is anyone else exited about barbarians.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-03-14, 12:21 PM

Now they just need some way to summon a wolf, and you can play an 80s hair metal bard.

Danger, Danger - High Voltage! :smallbiggrin:

The topic was lightning, not glowing crotches...

gabado
2009-03-14, 12:22 PM
The topic was lightning, not glowing crotches...

nice...:smalltongue:

TheEmerged
2009-03-14, 12:23 PM
RE: Amazon. I tried them once, and they were late. If I'm paying for shipping and handling while passing not one, not two, not three, but FOUR possible sources for your product on my way to work, shipping late falls under the "no second chances" header.

RE: Bard vs Warlord. The player for the warlord in our campaign has already expressed an interest in at least statting one out once I have the book. As for the feats that make a Warlord comparable to a laser cleric, I'm certain there will be bard versions eventually too.

its_all_ogre
2009-03-14, 03:04 PM
warlord will not beat a cleric for healing.
the feat inspired recovery specifically states it only adds cha bonus to your inspiring word.
clerics add wisdom mod to any powers with the healing keyword.

resting between encounters, sure, but in combats a cleric still rules.