PDA

View Full Version : Chickens? (d&d 3.5)

JellyPooga
2009-03-12, 05:07 AM
Does anyone know if there's any official stats for this rather amusing (and tasty!), largely flightless, bird?

I'm considering a character based somewhat on Mrs.Gogol from Terry Pratchetts Witches Abroad; a swamp dwelling voodoo witch who has a large black cockerel as her familiar. I was thinking a female halfling Wizard/Druid/Arcane Heirophant (although I'd personally prefer to go Wu Jen/Spirit Shaman/Arcane Heirophant from a thematic point of view, the PrC requirements don't allow it), but hit a snag when it came to the Familiar Companion...no chicken stats!

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-12, 05:58 AM
Based on their size and what chickens are like, I'd say Str 2. Dex 14, Con 10, Int 8 (or 2 if you're using standard animal Int rules), Wis 10 and Cha 8. (Int and Cha would be higher for wild birds). I'd also give them 1 animal HD to start with and Weapon Finesse as a feat. Based on this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybVb3t560oY , a +3 bonus to Intimidate would probably work, or maybe a +2 bonus to resist Fear effects. (Roosters are braver then the steriotype suggests).

Darrin
2009-03-12, 08:17 AM
Does anyone know if there's any official stats for this rather amusing (and tasty!), largely flightless, bird?

Use the stats for the Raven. In fact, in the description it even says:

"The statistics presented here can describe most nonpredatory birds of similar size."

Just reduce the fly speed to 10' or switch it to glide 20'.

Add a level of commoner, and you can take the "Chicken Infested" feat (from Dragon #330) for an unlimited supply of chickens. Add Quickdraw and you have an unlimited supply of chickens as a free action.

You might also want to add the "Cluckoo Rule":

Whenever a chicken is brutally slain, there is a 1% cumulative chance that every chicken within 10 miles charges the fowl-hearted murderer in a bloodthirsty rage.

Animefunkmaster
2009-03-12, 08:47 AM
Chicken Infested is a Flaw only available to npcs where you have a % chance of drawing a chicken when reaching for another item/thing. I assume that's why the recommendation was to take npc levels, but talk to the dm, he may not buy it.

Woodsman
2009-03-12, 08:50 AM
You might also want to add the "Cluckoo Rule":

Whenever a chicken is brutally slain, there is a 1% cumulative chance that every chicken within 10 miles charges the fowl-hearted murderer in a bloodthirsty rage.

I've actually thought about using this. Fans of LoZ, unite!

kopout
2009-03-12, 08:08 PM
Size/Type: Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (2 squares), fly 10 ft. (clumsy) glide 20ft
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–13
Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2–5)
Full Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2–5), Wings +4 bludgeoning (1d4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 9, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +3 +5, Spot +5 +7
Feats: Alertness, Weapon FinesseB, Doge
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Flock(10-12)
Challenge Rating: 1/6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral