PDA

View Full Version : Rome: Total War

DemonicAngel
2009-03-12, 03:27 PM
Well, I recently returned to this awesome game, and I wonder: are there anyone who wants to share his experiences? maybe tell me about a good mod I can use? (I have both expansions, too.)

Crow
2009-03-13, 02:05 AM
I used the Rome:Total Realism mod for a while. It's fun if you're a stickler for history as the team really did their homework, but it does take some of the fun out of the factions. The only other issue is that the macedonians were made a little overpowered. I always make sure to crush them as quickly as possible when I play as Rome.

Either way, I love this game. The unmodded version is great as well and I have had many enjoyable hours in it.

BlueWizard
2009-03-13, 02:10 AM
I've had some fun with this game as well. I would love it if there was a more difficult version of playing the barbarians. I like a little challenge, now that I know what to do.

Luring the attacking enemy to your walls' defenses is a way to weaken them, but it always felt like cheating to me.

Brother Oni
2009-03-13, 02:59 AM
I just think of it as the AI accurately replicating the behaviour of ill disciplined, over-eager troops. :smallbiggrin:

BlueWizard
2009-03-17, 01:59 AM
I just think of it as the AI accurately replicating the behaviour of ill disciplined, over-eager troops. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, but the it gets to a point, where I know that's how I can defeat overwhelming odds. Everytime. Just hold the wall, lure them in, and let them get killed by wall defenses.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-03-17, 11:39 AM
I play both EB and IBFD mods for RTW. Europa Barborum is just an awesome mod all around, very difficult, a challenging game. Unlike most RTW games, where you can easily outstrip the factions historical conquests in quick time, in EB, you struggle to keep up with the historical rate of conquest, even with 4tpY. I also like that every year it tells you what happened historically in that year, so you can regularily compare your campaign situation to that in the real world.

Invasio Barborum: Ruina Roma is also lots of fun. I play it mostly because EB doesn't cover the fall of Rome, only the Rise, and not up to the Imperial Legions.

Ascension
2009-03-17, 12:36 PM
Ehh, I should probably try out some of the mods, but honestly, all I use RTW for is wish fulfillment Carthage-beats-Rome fantasies. I never tire of beating Rome, but the subsequent world conquest usually ends up leaving me feeling a little flat. I don't have a grudge against the other peoples, and I usually end up having to massacre large numbers of virtual civilians in order to keep the peace. With every conquest beyond Rome itself I find myself thinking that the history books' view of me is getting more and more negative. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, I guess I'm just not cut out for world conquest. :smallfrown:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-03-17, 02:33 PM
Don't you get tired of seeing neon coloured romans first?

Carthage is a fun faction though. They're lots of fun, because they can easily replicate the Roman Empire too.

BlueWizard
2009-03-23, 04:04 AM
I play both EB and IBFD mods for RTW. Europa Barborum is just an awesome mod all around, very difficult, a challenging game. Unlike most RTW games, where you can easily outstrip the factions historical conquests in quick time, in EB, you struggle to keep up with the historical rate of conquest, even with 4tpY. I also like that every year it tells you what happened historically in that year, so you can regularily compare your campaign situation to that in the real world.

Invasio Barborum: Ruina Roma is also lots of fun. I play it mostly because EB doesn't cover the fall of Rome, only the Rise, and not up to the Imperial Legions.

Where can I get these games?

As to Carthage they are fun. Armored war elephants are like old fashion tanks.