PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Jack-of-all-Trades

ideasmith
2006-08-16, 06:23 PM
Jack-of-all-trades

Prerequisites:
Skills: At least one rank each in at least 80 skills.
Base Fortitude Save: +4
Base Reflex Save: +4
Base Will Save: +4

Hit Die: D6.
Base Attack Bonus: Average
Good Base Saves: Fortitude, Reflex, Will.
Class Skills: The jack-of-all-trades has no class skills. All skills are cross-class for the jack-of-all-trades.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 16 + Int modifier.

Table: Jack-of-all-trades Specials and Spells
{table]

Level
Special
Spells per Day

Spells Known

0th
1st
0th
1st

1st
Bonus magical feat

2nd
Bonus combat feat

3rd
Bonus miscellaneous feat

4th
Bonus magical feat, slippery mind

5th
Bonus combat feat

6th
Bonus miscellaneous feat

7th
Bonus magical feat

8th
Bonus combat feat

9th
Bonus miscellaneous feat

10th
Bonus magical feat, bonus combat feat, bonus miscellaneous feat

[/table]

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the jack-of-all-trades PC class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Jack-of-all-trades do not gain additional proficiencies.

Spells: A jack-of-all-trades casts spells, which are drawn from the jack-of-all-trades spell list (see below). The jack-of-all-trades may choose when casting whether to cast the spell as arcane or divine. In either case, no arcane spell failure occurs.

The jack-of-all-trades has no ability minimum to cast their spells. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a jack-of-all-trades’ spell is 10 + the spell level + the jack-of-all-trades’ caster level. A jack-of-all-trades gains no bonus spells for high abilities.

Like other spellcasters, a jack-of-all-trades can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Er base daily spell allotment is given on the table above.

The jack-of-all-trades’ selection of spells is slightly limited. A jack-of-all-trades begins play knowing 3 0th-level spells and 3 1st level spells of your choice. At most new jack-of-all-trades levels, e gains one or more new spells, as indicated on the table above.

A jack-of-all-trades need not prepare er spells in advance. E can cast any spell e knows at any time, assuming e has not yet used up er allotment of spells per day for the spell’s level.

Bonus Magical Feat: At first level, at 4th level, at 7th level, and at 10th level, the jack-of-all-trades gains a feat from the wizard list. Normal prerequisite requirements apply.

Bonus Combat Feat: At 2nd level, at 5th level, at 8th level, and at 10th level, the jack-of-all-trades gains a feat from the fighter list. Normal prerequisite requirements apply.

Bonus Miscellaneous Feat: At 3rd level, at 6th level, at 9th level, and at 10th level, the jack-of-all-trades gains a feat which is from neither the wizard list nor the fighter list. Normal prerequisite requirements apply.

Slippery Mind: At fourth level, the jack-of-all-trades gains slippery mind as the rogue special ability.

Jack-of-all-trades Spell List

Jack-of-all-trades choose their spells from the following list.

All spells from the cleric spell list.

All spells from the druid spell list.

All spells from the sorcerer spell list.

changes

September 2, 2006: Spell list revised per suggstion from Fizban.

martyboy74
2006-08-16, 06:34 PM
Is that every 1st level spell in the PHB?

Fizban
2006-08-16, 07:54 PM
It's be easier to just say: all 0 and 1st level spells, then you can get all the spells from other books.
Crazy idea. Don't ask me.

Randomman413
2006-08-16, 08:06 PM
Eighty skills? Are there that many skills?

MetalKelt
2006-08-16, 08:13 PM
Quickly Perusing the PHB, I count 45. Though this doesn't count multiple versions of craft and profession and odd versions of knowledge, like knowledge [breakfast pastry]. I suppose you could take lots of different versions of craft and profession. Though I'd hate to see the character sheet with entries for 80 skills.

bosssmiley
2006-08-16, 11:42 PM
I think the 1 rank in 80 skills is a typo for 1 rank in 8 skills, not without precedent for a PrC. Although I'd say something like "8 ranks in 5 skills, each with a different key ability" might be more fun for an arch-generalist. ;)

Just wondering what sort of character would take this class. Casters lose a chunk of caster levels, non-casters will probably feel a bit "meh" about their item creation or metamagic feats (I assume this is what is meant by wizard feats). Rogues? Maybe, but they get better synergies with 2-3 levels in Beguiler.

The feat progression is little short of obscene. The fighter core class (whose feats are his only advantage) only gains 1 feat/two levels. You might want to replace some of the numerous feats with specific class features. Things like:

* skill mastery (may always take 10 on 1 skill) class feature
* rogue special abilities
* class feature emulation (ie: learns one class feature from another class - dependent on the Jack's pre-PrC classes and upon relative levels)

I appreciate the class is called the Jack-of-all-Trades, but it is *far* too nebulous in focus as it stands. Re-read the Bard, Chameleon (CAdv or WOTC website) and Ardent Diletante (Planar Handbook) class descriptions, then think about the place of this PrC in the context of a campaign setting.

Intent is clear, execution flawed, class rationale non-existent. PrCs are dull without a strong focus or any accompanying background flavour.

Shyftir
2006-08-17, 04:23 AM
Isn't it obvious who would like to take this class? people who want an obscene amount of feats.

In exchange for being not especially good for any purpose, you get a crazy number of multi-purpose feats. It's so insane you'd rarely ever see one.

I also love the idea that they can cast very large numbers of low level spells,

ishi
2006-08-17, 06:50 PM
I agree with Boss Smiley; a PrC needs to have some sort of focus to be interesting, and I really can't see any character taking this class, since to make full use of the class you need to be able to benefit from wizard feats, fighter feats, and non-wizard non-fighter feats.

Wouldn't it be easier to give it all class skills and fewer ranks, say 8+ or 6+, rather than 16+ and no class skills?

Also, what is a character with at least 14 levels supposed to do with 20 cantrips a day?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-17, 06:59 PM
Also, what is a character with at least 14 levels supposed to do with 20 cantrips a day?
Cast light. A lot.

fangthane
2006-08-17, 07:40 PM
Just as a side note, the class as written punishes a high intelligence score in terms of keeping up with any specific skills; while other skill-classes receive 8+int and have class skills, this Jack has no class skills and receives 16+int - meaning that for any intelligence over 10, the character receives half the bonus skills in terms of practical ranks.

Shyftir
2006-08-18, 10:57 AM
Cast light. A lot.

no, use acid splash instead of having a ranged weapon.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-18, 01:51 PM
no, use acid splash instead of having a ranged weapon.
Acid Splash? Weak. A Small Shortbow is better.

ideasmith
2006-09-02, 05:11 PM
PsionicDevotee : Not every 1st level spell in the PHB, just all except 13 of them.

Fizban : Your suggestion is good. It needed some work, since I don't want them casting Suggestion or Lesser Restoration as 1st level spells.

The High Priest of Banjo : I count 96 skills mentioned in the PH, including separate forms of Craft, Knowledge, Perform, and Profession.

MetalKelt : Perhaps a separate sheet for the skill lists? I'm sure some wizards already use a separate sheet for their spell lists.

boss smiley :

. Prerequisites: That's one rank each in eighty (80) skills. I considered requiring one rank each in each and every skill.

. Who for: I intended for multiclass characters to take this class, and set the prerequisites and abilities accordingly.

. Feats: The feats aren't essential to the concept, and could be toned down if needed for play balance. I'll discuss your suggested alternatives separately.

. skill mastery: The jack-of-all-trades is supposed to be master-of-none.

. rogue special abilities: Most of these are enhancements to rogue class features which the jack-of-all-trades is not likely to have.

. class feature emulation: This sounds unnecessarily complicated and messy, especially since a well-built jack-of-all-trades should have a level or two each in a number of classes already.

. Dull: Dullness is subjective.

Shyftir : Thank you. It's nice to know what somebody likes about the class.

ishi :

. Feats: Any character who can cast spells can make use of all three categories of feat.

. Class skills: The lack of class skills discourages specialization.

. What to do with 20 cantrips/day: Cast them. A spontaneous caster with 35 cantrips known will have the right cantrip for any occasion.

Fax Celestis : Not too much I hope. It would be a shame to be out of cantrips if the party needed detect magic or mending or cure minor wounds.

Fangthane : Of course, the jack-of-all-trades will likely have a high intelligence anyway since Intelligence is so useful in acquiring the 80 skill points needed to qualify for this class.