PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Gelatinous Humanoid

Thajocoth
2009-03-12, 10:48 PM
At first, it seemed like templates were completely done away with, until the Dhampyr feats in, I think January's Dragon Magazine... Might've been February's. Back in December, I wrote up the following, which is a similar way of handling a race modifier... I haven't seen it in action, and I'm curious to know if people think it's too weak or powerful.

Physical Qualities
An oozy humanoid is transparent and a bit cloudy, like an ooze, but retains the basic shape of their base race, with slightly more rounded features. A player may decide to have inks injected into themselves to color various portions of themselves, sort of like three dimensional tattoos, but these regions still remain transparent, albeit colored.

Playing an Oozy Humanoid
Oozy humanoids have the memories and knowledge of both the humanoid and the ooze creature that merged to form them, but since ooze creatures don't have much of a mind, the resulting oozy humanoid acts almost exactly as it's humanoid half would act.
Oozy Adventurers
Two sample oozy adventurers are described below.
Birel is an oozy elf rogue who ran into the ritual cave to escape pursuit after a heist. She decided the ritual alter looked as good a place to rest as any, and was forever changed by the experience. Now she uses her increased stealth to look into rumors of government corruption.
Emere was a firesoul genasi swordmage who came upon the ritual cave one day in his travels. Upon examination of the alter, he decided to be adventurous enough to try out this new ritual, and was transformed from firesoul to acidsoul. He uses his newfound power to surround and devastate foes in dire situations.

Heroic Tier Feats:

Oozy Humanoid multi-race feat
Prerequisite: You're not a Genasi

Effect: You retain your shape, but are now made entirely of transparent goo. You can select from +2 Stealth, +2 Intimidate or +2 Endurance racial bonus. You also take no penalty for squeezing and gain resist 5 acid. This does not mean you can squeeze yourself under a door... It means that when you'd normally grant CA for squeezing into a smaller space, that instead you don't.

-----

Oozy Divide multi-race feat
Prerequisite: Oozy Humanoid

Effect: You can cast Split once per day as an immediate reaction when you become bloodied.

Split Ooze Racial Utility Daily
"Your enemy's attack slices you in half, allowing you to attack him from two places at once."
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: You become bloodied
Effect: You conjure a duplicate of yourself in the nearest unoccupied square to yourself. The duplicate can be attacked and damaged normally. (It has the same game statistics as you do.) You and the duplicate share the same pool of hit points. Your duplicate can do anything that you can do. However, any actions taken by your duplicate come from your normal allotment of actions. (It doesn’t grant you any extra actions.) You can divide your actions between you and your duplicate as you see fit. For example, on your turn you could shift into a flanking position (a move action) while the duplicate draws a weapon (minor) and uses a standard action to attack with one of your powers. If you make an opportunity attack against a creature, your duplicate can’t also make an opportunity attack during that creature’s turn. When a weapon returns to your hand, you can decide to have it return to your duplicate's hand instead and vice versa.
If you end any turn more than 5 squares away from your duplicate, you or the duplicate disappears. Otherwise, the duplicate lasts until the end of the encounter or until you drop to 0 hit points or fewer.

-----

Military Ooze multi-race feat
Prerequisite: Oozy Humanoid or Acidsoul Manifestation

Effect: You can cast Acidic Ammunition and Ooze Weapon at-will.

Ooze Weapon Ooze Racial Utility At-Will
"I don't need a sword to slice you up!"
Minor Action (Free Action with the Quick Draw feat, for items that would be effected by the Quick Draw feat.)
You form your hand into an ooze version of a mundane weapon, mundane shield or mundane implement that you're proficient with. This item cannot be enchanted. This item weighs nothing to hold, as it is part of your own mass. If you are wearing a hand slot item and/or are holding an item in that hand, this causes the hand slot item and/or held item to be dropped. This weapon follows the penalties and advantages of an attached component. (See Warforged documentation.) For ranged weapons, you can still use ordinary ammunition. All untyped damage dealt with this item is instead acid damage. If you throw, drop or otherwise release this item, you take 5 damage and the item disintegrates. You can return your hand to normal as a free action.

Acidic Ammunition Ooze Racial Utility At-Will
"I may be out of arrows, but I still have myself!"
Free Action
You create any amount of ammunition. You take twice that number in damage. So, if you create 1 arrow, you take 2 damage, whereas a magazine for the repeating crossbow would cost you 20 damage (as it holds 10 crossbow bolts). This ammunition lasts until one round after it's use or until you take an extended rest. Any untyped damage dealt by this ammunition is instead acid damage.

-----

Acidsoul Manifestation
Prerequisite: Genasi

Effect: While manifesting acidsoul, you take no penalty for squeezing and gain resist 5 acid. This does not mean you can squeeze yourself under a door... It means that when you'd normally grant CA for squeezing into a smaller space, that instead you don't. You also get +1 racial bonus to Fort and can cast Split once per encounter as an immediate reaction when you become bloodied.

-----

Stretchy multi-race feat

Effect: You can cast Stretch Out once per encounter as a free action.

Stretch Out Ooze Racial Utility Encounter
"You stretch forward to hit a more distant foe, leaving your body thinner and more open to attacks."
Free Action
Effect: You gain a +1 racial bonus to your reach, a +1 racial bonus to your threatening distance and you grant combat advantage until the start of your next turn. So, if you had reach 2, threatening reach 1 before casting this, you'd have reach 3, threatening reach 2.

Paragon Tier Feats

Thin Membrane multi-race feat

Effect: You can cast Stretch Out at-will as a free action.

Low Refraction

Effect: You have cover from ranged attacks

Paragon Path

Lurking Ooze

"If you see me, it's because I let you."

You've mastered how to shift your mass just right not to bend the light. You're a master of sneaking. Thieves envy your ability to hide in an open field at noon better than they can hide in a dark alley at midnight.

Lurking Ooze Path Features
(11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you have combat advantage against that action's targets.
(11th level): You can stealth until an enemy either makes a perception check to see you, you attack, or an enemy's attack successfully hits you. (Meaning, walking right in front of an enemy doesn't break stealth.)
(16th level): When making a ranged attack while stealthed, you can remain stealthed, but take a -2 penalty to your stealth roll until the start of your next turn.

Lurking Ooze Exploits

Glop Lurking Ooze Attack 11
You lunge at your foe, enveloping him with your acidic mass
Encounter * Martial, Acid
Standard Action Melee
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d8+Dexterity modifier acid damage. You enter the target's space. The target is grabbed by you. While grabbed, the target takes ongoing 5 acid damage and is blinded. When the target escapes from the grab, they shift into an adjacent square. If you decide to end the grab as a free action, you instead shift into an adjacent square. While grabbing the target, when an attack targets you, you can instead have it target the target as an immediate interrupt.
Sustain Standard: The target takes 1d8+Dexterity modifier acid damage.
Special: You may not use any abilities that target any object or creature aside from yourself or this power's target while using this power.

Going Nowhere Lurking Ooze Utility 12
As you move, you refract the light around you to hide your new position.
Encounter * Martial
Move Action Personal
Effect: You move up to your speed at least 2 squares to a space not adjacent to where you started. As you enter a square not adjacent to your current square, you make a stealth check with a +5 power bonus and are considered stealthing.

Puddle of Pain Lurking Ooze Attack 20
You melt into an acidic puddle of gooey acid
Daily * Martial, Zone, Acid
Standard Action Close Burst 1, Personal
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d8+Dexterity modifier acid damage and the target is knocked prone.
Effect: You become a 3x3 zone of acid. You're difficult terrain for your enemies. You can move up to your speed as a move action. Enemies that start their turn standing in any of your spaces take 5 acid damage.
Sustain Standard: You repeat the attack on each enemy standing in your spaces.
Special: You may slide up to your speed while using this power.
Special: You cannot use any abilities that target any object or creature aside from yourself while using this power.
Special: You may end this power as a free action.

Limos
2009-03-12, 11:12 PM
I really like the puddle of pain. I think that you should add in that they lose bonuses to AC from armor though. You can't very well spread you're armor over that much area can you?

Thajocoth
2009-03-12, 11:17 PM
I really like the puddle of pain. I think that you should add in that they lose bonuses to AC from armor though. You can't very well spread you're armor over that much area can you?

I've thought about considering them prone for the duration, since they're so low to the ground as well... But I figure they're already at the disadvantage of being "Huge". Harder to get around at that size, and easier to be flanked, and by a lot of enemies. Penalizing them more than that might make the ability lose any semblance of being useful.

EDIT:
I nearly forgot... The monster version!

Oozy Elite Lurker
Humanoid XP Elite
Defenses +2 AC +2 Fort, +2 Ref
Saving Throws +2
Action Point 1
Hit Points +6 per level + Constitution score
Resist 5 acid at 1st level, 10 acid at 11th level, 15 acid at
+2 Stealth
+1 Reach
Remains stealthing until somebody hits it or it hits somebody else.
If the ooze is ever not visible to all enemies, it's now stealthing.
Has cover from all ranged attacks
Untyped damage is now acid damage
Takes no penalty from stealthing it's speed
21st level
Powers
Split (free, when first bloodied/encounter)
The ooze splits into two, each with hit points equal to one
half its current hit points. Effects applied to the original ooze
do not apply to the second one. An ooze can’t split if reduced
to 0 hit points by the attack that bloodied it. Left alone, the
two halves recombine into a single creature at the end of the
encounter.
Ongoing Acid (minor, at-will)
An enemy that took acid damage this turn takes ongoing 5
acid damage