PDA

View Full Version : Any Freefall Movement Rules? [D20]

Ravens_cry
2009-03-12, 11:56 PM
Just like it says on the tin, does any one know of, or has home-brewed, movement rules in freefall, or as it is also known (incorrectly) zero-gravity?
I am thinking they would be useful in a near-future space adventure.
Any thoughts, suggestions?

Daefos
2009-03-13, 09:07 AM
Unless you have some means of flying, I'm pretty sure "down" is your only option.

Ravens_cry
2009-03-14, 04:01 AM
Unless you have some means of flying, I'm pretty sure "down" is your only option.

Um yeah, sorry if I didn't make this clear, but by free-fall, I mean like on a space station or an EVA in orbit. Not free fall, though technically speaking this is the same thing, in the sense of jumping out of a plane. I know the falling rules.

Satyr
2009-03-14, 04:21 AM
Improvisingly, I would use the rules for flying, and make the maneuverability depending on the character's Dexterity - starting at clumsy level and increase one step for every +2 points of dexterity bonus.

The speed could be depending on Jump checks (when near to something to push yourself away from) or swim(?) or tumble(?) checks when you are hovering in the middle of nothing. Once you move in one direction, you need a fitting skill check to change directions or stop, if you don't have something to hold to.

Graymayre
2009-03-14, 07:55 AM
Pro-tip: Watch out for Dragon Army, they love to fight in free-fall.

Graymayre
2009-03-14, 02:52 PM
There is a spelljammer 3.5 conversion. (www.spelljammer.org/)

I'd be surprised if that didn't include zero-gravity free-fall mechanics.

Edit: Yes, I know I double posted.

NEO|Phyte
2009-03-14, 03:02 PM
Just like it says on the tin, does any one know of, or has home-brewed, movement rules in freefall, or as it is also known (incorrectly) zero-gravity?
I am thinking they would be useful in a near-future space adventure.
Any thoughts, suggestions?

d20 Future has some. (http://d20resources.com/future.d20.srd/environments/gravity.php)

Ravens_cry
2009-03-14, 04:00 PM
Well, thanks you all for your assistance, I may steal a few other bits and pieces from the d20 future SRD, though not too much, this is supposed to be a NEAR future story. Thanks so much!

Killersquid
2009-03-14, 10:05 PM
Just an FYI, in Zero-G, you can't stop very effectively. You either force yourself in an opposite direction, or hit something. Hitting should do damage based on how fast they went, maybe using the fall rules.