PDA

View Full Version : Verbal and Somatic components.

Kris Strife
2009-03-13, 01:58 AM
I know some DMs like their players to come up with the verbal and somatic components for spells and special abilities. Some of my favorites:

Enlarge Person on self: Inukchuck!

Enlarge Person on other: Make my (class/race) grow!

Magic Missle: Hadoken/Kamehameha (depending on party) with appropriate motions.

Defenestrating orb: Bowling motion.

Any Monk special ability: The Bruce Lee scream thing.

Rebuke/Control Undead: Thriller dance.

Fly/Overland Flight: Up, up and away!

What are yours?

Fizban
2009-03-13, 02:03 AM
I don't have anything to add, but I have to say: dude, more Power Rangers references! Between this and the PrC contest in homebrew, I keep having a strange urge to go watch it.

Lycanthromancer
2009-03-13, 02:04 AM
My favorite V&S components?

None. I hate them. Badly.

Gods bless psionics.

Baron Malkar
2009-03-13, 02:43 AM
I had a IotSV who primarily casts the prismatic line of effects, color spay, and rainbow pattern.

His tag line:"Taste the Rainbow":smallbiggrin:

Satyr
2009-03-13, 02:59 AM
It may be a stupid little insider joke, but the standard phrase for all spells that involve fear, despair, pain etc. are regularly accompanied with "Recognize the beauty of the world!".

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-13, 03:30 AM
I tend to assume that the name of the spell is the verbal componant (which is probably why Spellcraft is really useless most of the time in my games:smalltongue:).

charl
2009-03-13, 03:53 AM
Magic missile is usually made with a pistol gesture and "BOOM! Headshot!"

Heliomance
2009-03-13, 04:12 AM
Fireball is accompanied by swinging an arm around your head then flinging it at the target.

Flaming Sphere is a bowling motion.

Burning hands is hands spread in front of you, thumbs linked.

Prismatic Spray: Taste the rainbow, bitch!

Each strike of call lightning (storm) is accompanied by a flick of the wrist, fingers extended a la street rappers.

Magic missile is one hand in front of you, fingers splayed.

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-13, 05:19 AM
I'm sure there's a spell that could work with "ORE WO DARE DA OMOTTE YAGARU?!" ("WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!") as the verbal component, but I can't think of one.

Kaiyanwang
2009-03-13, 05:27 AM
For my NPCs, I tend to not explain to my players things they hear, but the feeling you have hearing them.

A Blasphemy fills of despair and pain the hearts of good beings nearby, and similar things.

For somatic components, I generally descibe Divine ones as simple gesture of request or condemnation, Arcane ones as complicated (this makes sense with arcane spell failure).

My favorite V&S components?

None. I hate them. Badly.

Gods bless psionics.

I feel the opposite. I think V&S as well as focuses meke Magic more special.

I love the different and at the same time similar way designers managed psionics side effects, anyway.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-13, 09:55 AM
Tenser's Transformation: I HAVE THE POWER!

KIDS
2009-03-13, 10:03 AM
Verbal and Somatic components are fun and flavorful, though I don't like their role as "ways to shut down spellcasting". It's the material components that I really dislike. These ones, however --- Baldur's Gate invocations anyone?

Pirate_King
2009-03-13, 10:57 AM
These ones, however --- Baldur's Gate invocations anyone?

"ASHINJA!"

"SOJIN!"

"...My power's too weak..."

Tyrmatt
2009-03-14, 05:45 AM
Vita! Mortis! Carrium!
*Cure light wounds!*
Oh and
ROKSHO!! was usually accompanied by summoning a fire elemental.

Dogmantra
2009-03-14, 06:20 AM
"Oh no, not again!"
Just as you cast baleful polymorph/polymorph any object, to turn it into a bowl of petunias and a sperm whale.

charl
2009-03-14, 06:35 AM
And evil clerics use I find your lack of faith disturbing while smiting good people.

Heliomance
2009-03-14, 09:27 AM
Tenser's Transformation is clearly By The Power Of Greyskull.

And Greater Visage of the Deity is Shazam!

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-14, 06:47 PM
Anything insanity-inducing (still can't think of any specific spell): Fork 'andles. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbvCRkl_4U)

AslanCross
2009-03-14, 10:07 PM
Vita! Mortis! Carrium!
*Cure light wounds!*
Oh and
ROKSHO!! was usually accompanied by summoning a fire elemental.

For fireball and other evocations it was "Incurtus Fulgur Imperium" or something like it.

NWN2 also had pretty good ones. There were always two chants per school of magic. One was for lower level ones, and another for higher level spells. The lowest level spells didn't seem to have any chants attached to them.

Warlock invocations had their own unique, demonic chanting.

Kris Strife
2009-03-14, 10:12 PM
Stinking Cloud/Cloudkill: "Hey, pull my finger."

monty
2009-03-14, 10:18 PM
Otto's Irresistable Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcOZ6xFxJqg).

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-14, 10:21 PM
NWN2 also had pretty good ones. There were always two chants per school of magic. One was for lower level ones, and another for higher level spells. The lowest level spells didn't seem to have any chants attached to them.

Warlock invocations had their own unique, demonic chanting.

Then there was the one they used for the Epic Spell Mass Fowl (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Fowl). Basically the caster making mocking chicken noises while cackling.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-14, 10:51 PM
Time Stop: Stop! Hammertime.
Scintillating Scales (or any defensive buff that boosts AC or provides a miss chance): Can't Touch This

monty
2009-03-14, 10:52 PM

Time Stop should be automatically maximized if you wear parachute pants while casting it.

Seffbasilisk
2009-03-14, 10:53 PM
Always saw Fireball is Silban Wiccu.

Though my Magic Missiles in 4th ed are done with pistol-fingers and smoke-blowing.

wykydtron
2009-03-14, 11:10 PM
Hahaha, this is awesome. I'm running a solo campaign for a bard and I always make him play a jaunty tune. He also has to play a song (and pay xp costs) when making up new spells, to balance out the solo, and the lack of spellcasting abillities:elan:

Deth Muncher
2009-03-14, 11:50 PM

The somatic components to Time Stop are:

A jump to the left
A step to the right
Place your hands on your hips
Pull your knees in tight
Pelvic thrust.

Jack_Simth
2009-03-15, 12:22 AM
I'm sure there's a spell that could work with "ORE WO DARE DA OMOTTE YAGARU?!" ("WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!") as the verbal component, but I can't think of one.
Shapechange. Or maybe just Disguise Self.

herrhauptmann
2009-03-15, 12:41 AM
Various warding spells: "You can't hurt me because I'm better than you."

Divinations: "Throw off these false garments and reveal your true form" (Record of Lodoss War)

I used to have the magic language of Ultima Online memorized, which worked fairly well.
'kal' create
'an' dispel
'flam' fire
'vas' greater
'mani' was heal or cure or health (sorta forget by now)
So a high level spell in that game, flamestrike, your character would say 'kal vas flam' whenever you attempted to cast flame strike.

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-15, 01:10 AM
Shapechange. Or maybe just Disguise Self.

I dunno; that doesn't seem to have the right "awesome" quotient to do the quote's source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurren_lagann) justice.

I used to have the magic language of Ultima Online memorized, which worked fairly well.
'kal' create
'an' dispel
'flam' fire
'vas' greater
'mani' was heal or cure or health (sorta forget by now)
So a high level spell in that game, flamestrike, your character would say 'kal vas flam' whenever you attempted to cast flame strike.

You could probably do that with the spell system from Arx Fatalis; each symbol you'd have to draw would have a name and would be part of the spell. For instance, the fireball spell in the game us cast by drawing the following runes in the air:
Aam: Create
Yok: Fire
Taar: Projectile

The GameFAQs guide here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/371212/28139) has a full list of the different runes and the spells in the game for anyone interested (though I don't think that's a complete list).

Lycanthromancer
2009-03-15, 01:23 AM
Feeblemind: "Mind-crush!"

Dominate person: "My hair is abducting you!"

Contingency: "Attention duelists! My hair is being assaulted!"

Enlarge person: "My voice gives me strength!"

Wish: "Screw the rules! I have money!"

Symbol of pain: "Torrrrment!"

Charm person: "Well, you’re I'm clearly evil, but I you see no reason not to trust you me."

Summon swarm: "This is just like Lord of the Flies, only with a lot less subtext and a lot more card games!" Wait, what?

Astral projection: "How many times do I have to kill you people before you stay dead?!"

Leomund's tiny hut: "It’s symbolic of the relationship between me and my friends! That’s why it’s so small and fragile-looking."

Simulacrum: "Toon World allows me to turn your monsters into cheap imitations - kind of like what 4Kids did to this show."

Crushing despair: "Hey Kaiba! Threaten to kill yourself - that usually works! Only this time really do it!"

Silence: "What’s that? I can’t hear you, I’m too busy being American!"

Raise dead: "No, Yugi! You can’t be dead! If you were dead 4Kids would have censored it!"

Suggestion: "Would you stop saying 'super-special-awesome'? It stopped being funny fifteen episodes ago!"

[edit]
Shapechange: "Super special awesome ultra special transformation sequence go!"

horseboy
2009-03-15, 03:22 AM
Well, I did have a phase where when I cast spirit double I shouted "Shadow Clone Jitsu" :smallredface:

monty
2009-03-15, 02:13 PM
For a druid's wildshape...It's morphin' time! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYznTduWofo)

Fizban
2009-03-16, 06:23 AM
I'd like to dole out a few +1's, cookies, or whatever we're giving out these days to ShadowFighter15, DeathMuncher, and Lycanthromancer. Incidentally, I thought we were using "Who the hell do you think I am!?" to reference the Batman. As such, Shapechange is quite appropriate. Also: how the heck do you people remember so many quotes from the Abridged Series?

On the topic of making up magic vocab, I used the sample draconic in one of the WoTC books in a PbP once. Between that, other video game magic vocab, and generic garbled latin, there should be plenty of material.

Oh, and monty....wow, just....wow. That was amazing. It was exactly what I expected, and it was awesome.

Now I have to try and rickroll someone with it, just because I'm never gonna give it up.

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-16, 04:44 PM
Incidentally, I thought we were using "Who the hell do you think I am!?" to reference the Batman.

You might, but I don't. Batman never really appealed to me (no idea why), so my only real exposure to that line was from Gurren Lagann, which uses the line extensively and awesomely. Like this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYHvywOsB0

There's also a few quotes you could rip from 40k and use as Verbal components:

Mind Blank - An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Divine Power - My faith is my shield, my fury is my sword!
Animate Dead - Even in death, you still serve.

There's probably a lot more, but I'm running off memory here (which is severely lacking in coffee this morning).

PrismaticPIA
2009-03-16, 05:24 PM
Magic missile: 'Pew Pew Pew!' (depending on the level)

Sound Lance: 'Hadouken' (for such an unoptimal spell, I've killed an awful lot of things with it)

Corrosive Grap/Disintegrate: 'Reach out and melt face!' (er...touch faith)

Gate: 'T-t-t-t-that's all folks!' (usually happens after I gate in a Solar, ask it to wish for a 250,000 lbs iron block (with 'ACME' inscribed on the side) over my enemy's head)

Fireball: 'Click, click, boom'

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-03-16, 06:05 PM
For any Summon Nature's Ally or Summon Monster spell: <name of summoned criter>, I choose YOU!
Material component: A red and white sphere

aarondirebear
2009-03-16, 09:06 PM
Lightning bolt: Devil horns and saying "Shazam!"

Chain Lightning: TWO devil horns and saying "Alakazam!"

Fireball: "Flames that burn, flames that purge, come forth and burn all that you see!"

Maximized Fireball: "Source of all power, kowtow before thy master, form living fire in my hands and crush the fools that stand before me!"

Intensified Fireball: "Skidoosh"

Magic Missile: One hand held out, the other hand shaped like a gun, slamming my wrist on the outstretched hand while muttering "pow pow pow"

Cone of Cold: A hand flourish and the word "Whoosh".

Gust of Wind: A hand flourish and the word "ZOI!"

Invisibility: Wave my hand and say in a nasal tone "...bye."

Finger of Death: With a flourish, scratch an inkpen across a sheet of paper three times while shouting "SAKUJO!!!!!"

Teleport: "God of travel, grant me wings."

Greater Teleport: "Gotta gtfo, k thx bai!"

Poison: "VENOM!"

Wail of the Banshee: "Exterminate! EX-TER-MI-NATE!"

Meteor Swarm: Stretch out my palm, say "I win." then crush my palm toform a fist.

Wish: "Source of all magical energy, bend thyself over and receiveth mine phallus."

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-16, 09:19 PM
Can't believe I didn't think of this one sooner:
Tasha's Hideous Laughter - "Wenn ist das Nunstrück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!" (http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/funniest.htm)

monty
2009-03-16, 09:23 PM
Can't believe I didn't think of this one sooner:
Tasha's Hideous Laughter - "Wenn ist das Nunstrück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!" (http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/funniest.htm)

I feel bad for not thinking of that sooner as well.