PDA

View Full Version : Turning the tables [Feats]

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-01, 12:28 PM
Antimagic Psion [Psionic]
Your powers are more potent when used against magical characters and creatures.

Prerequisite
Psicraft 5 ranks.

Benefit
You get a get a +2 bonus on manifester level checks made to overcome a creature’s spell resistance.

This bonus stacks with the bonus conferred by Power Penetration and Greater Power Penetration. Moreover, whenever a magic user attempts to dispel a powerl you manifested, it makes its caster level check against a DC of 13 + its caster level.

The benefits of this feat apply only to spell resistance.

The bonus does not apply to power resistance. This is an exception to the psionics-magic transparency rule.

Special
You cannot take or use this feat if you have the ability to cast spells or use spell like abilities.

Magic Hunting Sight [Psionic]
Your mental powers help you sense the presence of magic
Prerequisite: Inquisitor, Psicraft 5 ranks
Benefit: Whilst psionically focused, you can sense magical auras as if using a detecxt magic spell

Special: This feat only allows you to sense auras generated by magical sources, it does not apply to psionic effects or creatures. This ios an exception to the normal magic-psionic transparency rule.

Peregrine
2006-09-01, 12:53 PM
Antipsionic Magic [Psionic]
I think you meant to put this name around the other way?

Sounds like a fair feat to me. I'm not a big fan of the transparency-breaking feats, so the least you can do is give them anti-magic counterparts. :) Good thinking.

Magic Hunting Sight sounds pretty powerful, although taking Inquisitor as prerequisite might help there. Handy, anyway.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-01, 01:13 PM
I only created them as entry requirements for a PrC I'm making.

Brickwall
2006-09-01, 02:30 PM
I only created them as entry requirements for a PrC I'm making.

Mage-hunters are already overdone. We don't need mage-hunters who actually use magic.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-01, 02:32 PM
Psionics, actually.

Brickwall
2006-09-01, 02:42 PM
What part of psionics-magic transparency is so foreign to you? A truenamer who hunts wizards is no different. They're both magic users. Psions are, in fact, more similar to wizards than sorcerers are. It's completely boneheaded that the two camps would oppose each other.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-01, 02:56 PM
Like I said, they're for a PrC, Withcbane Psychic, a group of Psions who see magic as blasphemous and wicked. Its for Races of The Mind, hence the pro-psionics focus. Besides, its no stupider than the Witchborn Binder, from Magic of Incarnum.

NullAshton
2006-09-01, 03:01 PM
Psionics-magic transparency already covers this, I believe. A mage-killer is already a psionic killer.

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-01, 03:05 PM
From the SRD:

ANTIPSIONIC MAGIC [GENERAL]
Your spells are more potent when used against psionic characters and creatures.
Prerequisite: Spellcraft 5 ranks.
Benefit: You get a get a +2 bonus on caster level checks made to overcome a psionic creature’s power resistance.
This bonus stacks with the bonus conferred by Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration. Moreover, whenever a psionic creature attempts to dispel a spell you cast, it makes its manifester level check against a DC of 13 + its manifester level.
The benefits of this feat apply only to power resistance.
The bonus does not apply to spell resistance. This is an exception to the psionics–magic transparency rule.
Special: You cannot take or use this feat if you have the ability to use powers (if you have a power point reserve or psi-like abilities).

Its exactly the same, but with Psionics swapped for Magic. Why is it OK for Mages to hunt Psions, but not for Psions to hunt Mages.

Brickwall
2006-09-01, 05:01 PM
A: I've never seen MoI, nor do I respect it

B: The feats are fine, but the PrC is just plain silly. Psions are much more similar to mages than clerics and druids are. I'd maybe be able to see a cleric-based bage hunter, but not arcane/psionics fighting each other.

lsfreak
2006-09-01, 06:37 PM
Well, in a homebrew setting, I can very much see one class (psionics) being the "good guys" and arcanists being the "bad guys," considering the two very difference sorces of magic.
In a typical DnD world I'd say it's overdone, but in a homebrew setting, I can very much say a magic hunter would be well-placed, provided it's significantly explained.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-01, 06:45 PM
It's nice to see that Psionics is getting a fair handle on magic for once.

ghost_warlock
2006-09-01, 07:08 PM
I give them my stamp of approval. I've seen 5 or 6 feats that break the magic/psionic transparency and they all favor magic over psionics. I think the psi-crowd is about do for some payback!

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-02, 11:42 AM
More to come, these are jsut the ones I needed for the PrC.