PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Continuous Enlarge Person: too strong?

Ianuagonde
2009-03-14, 04:43 AM
Hi everybody,

according to the magic item creation rules, an item of continuous Enlarge Person should cost (CL1 * spell level 1 * 2000 * 2 because it's 1 min/level) = 4000 gp. That's for a standard item slot, making it no-slot would increase the cost to 8000.

Would you consider this OK, or is this one of those cases where the rules make the item too powerful/cheap, like gloves of continuous True Strike or boots of continuous Expeditious Retreat?

Thanks!

lord_khaine
2009-03-14, 04:47 AM
its one of those times, being large can be a huge advantage, and with that item you get to chose when you want it, and when you wont.

olentu
2009-03-14, 04:57 AM
Well I think that permanency cast on enlarge person costs

9x50 + 5x500 = 2950 gp

However since an item can only be suppressed not dispelled and you could turn it off when you want. So it might be reasonably priced.

Adumbration
2009-03-14, 04:58 AM
For 10 500 gps (buying two scrolls) you can have Enlarge Person permanencied on yourself, without any of this custom magic item hassle.

EDIT: Olentu, I think you forgot the XP cost.

vegetalss4
2009-03-14, 05:02 AM
For 10 500 gps (buying two scrolls) you can have Enlarge Person permanencied on yourself, without any of this custom magic item hassle.

magic item hassle?
do you mean the ability to stop being large at the exact moment you want to? or the ability to only have it suppressed instead of dispelled

BlueWizard
2009-03-14, 05:04 AM
Being too large does have disadvantages... so I think you can do this.

olentu
2009-03-14, 05:07 AM

Well I might be remembering wrong but for buying spellcasting I remember the formula to be in this case

caster level (minimum 9) x 50 gp (5th level spell) + 5 x XP cost (500 XP)

I did forget the 1 x 10 for the first level enlarge person cast at min caster level.

So it would then be 2960 gp assuming I have the formula correct.

vegetalss4
2009-03-14, 05:10 AM
Well I might be remembering wrong but for buying spellcasting I remember the formula to be in this case

caster level (minimum 9) x 50 gp (5th level spell) + 5 x XP cost (500 XP)

I did forget the 1 x 10 for the first level enlarge person cast at min caster level.

So it would then be 2960 gp assuming I have the formula correct.

you have, he is buying them as scrolls and casting them himself, while you is paying someone to do the casting for you

charl
2009-03-14, 05:12 AM
You could even make a course item that does this. Humans and other medium-sized adventurers will find this really bad for most situations (won't fit into dungeons anymore, can't sit at the local bar without breaking chairs, needs to spend much more money on clothes and equipment for their size...), but I can imagine at least a few halfling or gnome characters would really love to be one of the tallfolk.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-14, 05:22 AM
It's a decent investment, the best part of it though is the fact that you'd be capable of getting prestige classes with requirements of Large size.

@Vegetalss4: go for the Danes!

Otodetu
2009-03-14, 06:47 AM
In general most of the continuous self made magical items are way too good for their price.

The advantages of being large when you want to (your gear enlarges too, so no extra expenses) is priceless.