PDA

View Full Version : Trick Shot [Feat]

ExHunterEmerald
2006-08-31, 08:54 AM
Well, given I've heard a bunch about how wind wall makes archers insta-useless...

Trick Shot
Over, down, even the occasional bank-shot: To hit the bullseye, a straight line is not always the fastest path.
Effect: By taking a -2 to hit, you can fire an arrow in a parabola to bypass an obstacle, such as a wind wall.
Normal: Your shots are fired in a straight line to the target.

If I didn't have to head out for classes now, I'd work on other types of trick-shots. Anyway, for what it's worth, a quick-n-dirty feat.

chaiyo
2006-08-31, 06:20 PM
Hm. It does what it promises. Though I'd make mention of whether range penalties still apply, and whether you take penalties for the full range of the parabola. I'd imagine that you would get penalties for the full range.

knightsaline
2006-09-01, 05:30 AM
How about an overdraw trick? take a penalty to the to hit to make shots extra peircing (the original sounded like power attack) or shoot through. take a penalty to hit to make the arrow go through the first target to hit a second one. the possiblitys are endless

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-01, 08:05 AM
An arrow that could pierce clean through would be impossib--
Wait, it's d20, nevermind. That could work.
Overdraw sounds interesting, but taking a feat so you can pull a bowstring a little harder doesn't make sense either...

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-01, 08:18 AM
There is a magic item that allows shoot-through. It is very expensive. And for a good reason. You can hit a huge line of enemies. Very powerful indeed. though the feat could work if you had to, say, beat the AC by 10. that would mean you hit an unarmored part of the body, allwoing the arrow to go though. Now I realize that this is only really possible with true strike. I don't care.

Nice feat, BTW. any self-respecting ranger would take it. I think that the range should be halfed. And could you use this to go around another enemy to hit one in back? If so, then this is broken. unless you have an improved trick shot... I digress. It's a good feat, that needs some cleaning up and some prerequites. Dex 15+ should suffice.

NullAshton
2006-09-01, 02:59 PM
There is a feat or a class ability, I think, but it's at -4 each time it goes through someone.

You might want to put that it can bypass all types of cover. Like a seeking arrow.

lsfreak
2006-09-01, 07:12 PM
An arrow that could pierce clean through would be impossib--
Wait, it's d20, nevermind. That could work.

Atlatls (spearthrowers) could punch clean through a knight in full chain mail when the Aztecs re-invented them when the conquistidors started fighting them. I don't think it's too unreasonable that a smaller but much faster projectile can punch though a person and keep going.

Just something to keep in mind with this feat is that, at full range increment in real life, you'd be shooting at a 45 degree angle. DnD isn't too heavy on the realism, though, so I think something like this would work fine.

Abardam
2006-09-02, 06:36 AM
Penetrating Shot? (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Penetrating_Shot,PH2)