PDA

View Full Version : Metropolis OOC Chat, Rules, and Story

Pages : [1] 2

Kaelaroth
2009-03-14, 09:24 AM
Tired of fighting scary-ass godmonsters? Sick of the same ol' fantasy-lite settings? Sick of godmodding (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1633965&postcount=5)? Or just looking for a great new place to have fun?
Then Metropolis is the place for you.
This thread includes Metropolis' backstory, rules, and is the place for OOC chat.

Metropolis Backstory:
We are living in a world, shattered by science.
Ten years ago, the planet was united in love, and peace, and joy, as war had been solved, and technology was advancing. And, indeed, some of those technologies were advancing faster than others, going brilliantly. Till it all went wrong. Genetic modification went rogue, the technology being leaked to desperate members of the public, extreme catalysts for evolution being released into the air, in certain areas, illegal weaponry, and similar technology, stolen from laboratories. The government, strong, but scared, unknowing of what to do, initally tried to gently crack down on people with new gifts, or new weapons, offering them amnesty if they surrendered themselves for genetic rewriting. However, this didn't go down well, and when a well-known pyrogenetic superhero, Red Dawn (of the Prismatic League), detonated himself, with all his pent up flames, in the downtown of a major city, the resulting blast (when mixed with the infectious qualities of one of his teammates) killed millions - leading the government to crack down harder, with an iron fist, the events now known as the "Emergency". The threat had to be contained.
High level superhumans, and powered individuals were swiftly executed under the newly created Worldwide Civilian Protection Act, but, due to the growing distrust of the government among the general populace, a revision was made, and, post-eradication of the greatly powerful, new decisions were made. A city, isolated on a northern peninsula, already containing a high criminal population, was swiftly put under development to become a new hub of civilian defense. Within weeks, METROPOLIS was ready for action, and superpowered civilians, and technologically advanced criminals, were sent into the lockdowned city, a new home, from which they can never leave.
And so our story begins.
Metropolis:
Metropolis is, by now, one of the world's biggest cities, outsizing nearly any city on our Earth. The architecture is a mix of nearly any culture, as are the foods - as, by now, huge numbers of "undesirables" have arrived, from across the globe, and, so, now, nearly any kind of establishment can be found across the city, ranging from the mundane places that remind you of home, pre-Emergency, to the exotic establishments that exist as a result of such as fusion of cultures - to the downright bizarre.
However, just because the city is full of oddness, doesn't mean there isn't a police force. Indeed, government authority still exists, somewhat, in a hired police force, consisiting of highly-paid non-"powers" brought in from outside the city to fight crime among its inhabitant, and low-paid "powers", hated by their fellow kin, for "betraying" their kind, for slightly more cash, and a possible ticket out.
An underground train network, and a very large number of buses, connect the every part of the city, and it's constantly maintained and built upon - should new threads places be built or become used more than usual, new stations will be built outside.

Laws:
Murder, treason (i.e. divulging state secrets, plotting to overthrow the government) and rape (and, obviously, multiple occasions of those aforementioned crimes) are all punishable by long-term imprisonment, to the death penalty, depending on the circumstances. Those are all level three crimes. Stealing and using someone's ID card is a level three crime.
Level two crimes involve things like armed robbery, hard-drug possession/vending, manslaughter, and assault. They're punishable by prison sentences, and, to make things less boring than they can be in Town/Acronym, forced work for the police for a certain amount of time, with diminished pay. Being in the city without an ID card (assuming you lack a good reason for not having it), is a level two crime.
Level one crimes involve things like minor thieving or trying to access the train network without ID card. Punishable by fines, community service, or very short stints of time in a jail.
The police have a right to search people, but only if they have reasonable notion that people may be involved in criminal activity. They can hold a person in a holding cell for 24 hours without evidence that they were involved in a crime, but no longer.
Police tech is no higher than that of the average citizen, but since the police are better funded, they may well be able to afford better things.

Rules and Guidelines (These differ from those of Acronym and Town. READ):
The Zeroth Law: Obey all Forum rules, this is not a private enterprise.
1. No destroying the entire universe, or doing something to it that'll produce a similar effect (for example, no placing a massive time freeze on the entire area forever). You're allowed to damage certain places, but destroying it all just takes the fun out of it for all the other players.
2. If you want random smashy hahaN00BlulzFun, here's not the place. Anything spammy, random, or just plain annoying, can go! Of course, if your silliness is in moderation and well-roleplayed, and considerate of other players, then welcome in. Of course, it should be taken into consideration that Metropolis is, to a great degree, not the nicest of places, so characers might not have that much to laugh about.
3. No godmoding/godmodding. At all. You'll be yelled at for repeated offence, and we will do our best to get you to stop, whatever it takes, if you ignore initial reprimands. See the rules laid out in FFRP for what godmod(d)ing is.
4. Read all OPs before you post in a thread!
5. Metropolis is not connected, in any way, to Town or Acronym. There can be no dimensional travel between the areas. It is separate, and your characters for Metropolis must be unique.
6. Metropolis characters must be of a fairly low-level. In an attempt to cut out overpoweredness here, there won't be an oppurtunity for such antics. A character, of course, can be above (or, if it takes your fancy below) the human average, and many, of course, will have powers or equipment setting them apart from the average person. However, please keep your character below Power Levels Three or Four, or, in DnD terms, below levels 5-10.
7. Please try and make sure that your character's powers (should they have any) are fairly unique. Don't make someone with the power to make sludge if someone else does, unless all the powers you like have been taken, or you think, for example, that you can portray greensludge-genesis in a funky new way.
8. Please don't post here if you just want "romance". It's icky for everyone who doesn't, and burns through threads like wildfire with repetitive, poorly roleplayed actions. Of course, if you happen to be here, and romance seems like a natural course of action to characters, then, by all means, go for it. But DON'T make characters solely for romance, and don't rush through romance unnaturally. Though there's out-of-the-ordinary stuff in Metropolis, we're still trying to portray convincing characters.
9. No magic. Magic simply does not work here.
10. We'd prefer it if there weren't extra-terrestrials, as well, unless you have a truly amazing idea about it. IF you do, please mention it in OOC discussion, so it can be talked about before being introduced.
11. You're permitted to have your characters swear (though it will be censored by the forum), but please don't overdo it. It's obvious when one is.
12. Roleplay well, please :smalltongue:

And, now: CHAT!

Ethrael
2009-03-14, 09:38 AM
*chats*

So who else we got?

Kaelaroth
2009-03-14, 09:42 AM
Me. Obviously. :smallwink:

Almighty Salmon
2009-03-14, 09:42 AM
Yo, i'm here.

Just making the finishing touches to a character.

Beans
2009-03-14, 09:45 AM
Me, as I was among the first (I think) to dabble in the creation of what became Metro.

Durp
2009-03-14, 09:49 AM
I'm here. Wondering what the Address thingy is...

Kaelaroth
2009-03-14, 09:51 AM
I'm here. Wondering what the Address thingy is...

Which room in the residence thread you have. Although, since your character's not a criminal/powered-personage/whatever, you probably will have an actual address.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-14, 10:00 AM
This is on an Earth-like planet, not Earth.
No wizards/warlocks/Dr. Strange/demons kinda magic. However, stage magic and sleight of hand is permitted, as most would say that's not really summoning the arcane. :smalltongue: Cryptids; depends on the situation. If, for instance, you were a result of genetic engineering, and are now a Sasquatch - that's great. If you were a lost strand of genetic linkymabob, and just happened to be caught, and sent to Metropolis, no, that's not okay. Cryptids, if they're related to the Metropolis story, are good.
It's soft sci-fi, I'd suppose - but you can make it harder, if you'd like. If that makes any sense. Feel free to bring hard science into it, but please don't enforce it.

Jjkaybomb
2009-03-14, 10:00 AM
Durp, PM, we have to discuss your charactor

And I think the backstory is put in layman's terms. People would call it evolution, when really, its not.

Ashen Lilies
2009-03-14, 10:35 AM
So what do 'prisoners' (of the ex-super variety) do in Metropolis anyway? Do they just wander round the city, just living their lives, never allowed to leave?

Kaelaroth
2009-03-14, 10:37 AM
So what do 'prisoners' (of the ex-super variety) do in Metropolis anyway? Do they just wander round the city, just living their lives, never allowed to leave?

Yes. It's a normal life, but they can't really escape. Of course, knowing Freeform, I have no doubt that more out-of-the-ordinary things, such as PLAWT will soon arrive. :smallamused: They can get jobs, fight eachother, weep at the meaninglessness of it all, try and fight the crime that's developing in the city...

Ashen Lilies
2009-03-14, 10:46 AM
Cool. I might drop some of the 'Five' in sometime. Wavelength would probably be to powerful (total control of the EM spectrum and all), but I can see the other four dudes of my fictional super team in Metropolis. Jimmy 'Have not thought of a super name for him yet' Blaine would be the type to turn 'traitor' and join the police force.

Well, it's late here anyway, so any character adapting will have to come tomorrow. For the curious, the names of the other three are Fuel, Pulse and Snapshot. I dare you to guess what their powers are. :smallamused:

Alternatively, I might make a non-power.

Beans
2009-03-14, 10:47 AM
In a city fraught with misery and troubles, Myxoma's well-set. Psychiatric counselor. She basically makes her living on others' problems. Whee.

Morty
2009-03-14, 11:06 AM
Hm. I guess I could make a character here, but first I have to stumble upon a character concept that'd fit.

billtodamax
2009-03-14, 05:47 PM
I'm slightly confused by the Residence. Do we create our character without listing our residence, then edit it later when we get one?

Shades of Gray
2009-03-14, 05:51 PM
I may make a character here... Dunno.

Fredthefighter
2009-03-14, 05:53 PM
Pondering over this one, not sure though. Maybe I will and maybe I won't.

Chas the mage
2009-03-14, 05:54 PM
I have a lawful/neutral evil charry known as 'shady sam'...

Shades of Gray
2009-03-14, 06:16 PM
I have a character idea. She's a villain, but is fairly low powered and is not stupid evil. Her power: controlling vermin. Rats, bugs, etc.

EDIT: Here we go, a ratgirl:

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0903/d14/1850/9fac517.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/25132350) Will post character stuff later in the character thread.
doing this now so I don't loose the link to the image.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-14, 06:18 PM
I'm slightly confused by the Residence. Do we create our character without listing our residence, then edit it later when we get one?

That's it, yes.

Ashen Lilies
2009-03-14, 09:30 PM
Question:

Does AMERICA(!) exist in this alternate Earth?

FireFox
2009-03-14, 10:22 PM
I left Town to rejoin the ACROs because I felt like I didn't belong with all the new and admittedly fun townies. I've since passed the stage where I can lie to myself by saying people like me in Acronymia, so the logical step is to keep running until I'm out of places. However, I'm garnering an instinctive dislike of Metropolis' setting. Basically it is in that standard sci-fi setting, the totalitarian government? All of the rules and the "fluff", if I may use such a term, seem to point that IC life is heavily restricted. Who controls this? I hesitate to bring up real world politics here, but I quite frankly detest the idea of any one, or several, players controlling an Orwellian government that has total power over my character. Pretty soon I'm not going to have a choice if I want to actually roleplay and not be ignored half the time, but I would really like this concern of mine addressed. The concern being, mainly, the issue of "who is in charge, and what can they do".

I apologize if I remain unclear; I am quite fatigued and may not be up to my usual standards of clarity.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 06:14 AM
@KK: Although this is an alternate world, you can quite easily say there is such an area. But there's chance no one will have heard of it.
@FF: Technically, I, and JJkaybomb, right now, are in charge of the government. And I can't speak for her, I'm afraid. But, on my part: I will not be doing anything with the government unless the situation desperately calls for it. Law Enforcement (which can only be as strong as individual players make it) is going to be carried out by characters - should people commit a crime, characters can report it to the Law Enforcement characters, or, if it's done in a public place, NPCs can. Some degree of common sense on the part of those playing the police (such as KidKris right now, methinks) will have to be employed. The government, as I think we've established, couldn't care less about the city unless there's chance it's going to break. Or something. Now, I've just woken up, so is that clear enough?

Also, minor edit: If you want your character to have an address in Residence #12, PM me, as some already have. Thank you. :smallsmile:

Quincunx
2009-03-15, 06:57 AM
Can you sum up the starting flavor of the city with literary references?

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 07:16 AM
Can you sum up the starting flavor of the city with literary references?

It'd be hard to. But..
A hint of Mortal Engines (Philip Reeve): a world similar to Earth, but riddled with new technology which profoundly changes it.
A pinch of Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman): A familiar-enough backdrop for a slightly mystical, dangerous world.
A dash of Noughts and Crosses (Malorie Blackman): Racial Tension, Oppression, slightly unfamiliar world, violence and drugs culture.
A thimbleful of The Yiddish Policemen's Union (Michael Chabon): Familiar genre in an unfamiliar, harsh, sad setting, all with a hint of racial woe to it.
A dollop of Watchmen (Alan Moore): Obviously. Dark, gritty world. Superheroism.
And a slight inspiration from the works of Eric Blair.

Perhaps. That's just how I see it. Right now, at this very moment. That may change radically in a few minutes, or as the city progresses.
And may be different to other people. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Ashen Lilies
2009-03-15, 07:41 AM
So, in general strokes, what are the laws of Metropolis (ones that differ from RL of course, rape/theft/murder are a no-brainers) how severely are they punished, and how much power do the police have?

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 07:49 AM
So, in general strokes, what are the laws of Metropolis (ones that differ from RL of course, rape/theft/murder are a no-brainers) how severely are they punished, and how much power do the police have?

All the obvious ones. Murder, treason (i.e. divulging state secrets, plotting to overthrow the government) and rape (and, obviously, multiple occasions of those aforementioned crimes) are all punishable by long-term imprisonment, to the death penalty, depending on the circumstances. Those are all level three crimes. Stealing and using someone's ID card is a level three crime.
Level two crimes involve things like armed robbery, hard-drug possession/vending, manslaughter, and assault. They're punishable by prison sentences, and, to make things less boring than they can be in Town/Acronym, forced work for the police for a certain amount of time, with diminished pay. Being in the city without an ID card (assuming you lack a good reason for not having it), is a level two crime.
Level one crimes involve things like minor thieving or trying to access the train network without ID card. Punishable by fines, community service, or very short stints of time in a jail.
The police have a right to search people, but only if they have reasonable notion that people may be involved in criminal activity. They can hold a person in a holding cell for 24 hours without evidence that they were involved in a crime, but no longer.
Police tech is no higher than that of the average citizen, but since the police are better funded, they may well be able to afford better things.
That OK?

Ashen Lilies
2009-03-15, 07:51 AM
Yeah, that's fine.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 07:53 AM
Yeah, that's fine.

Cool.
*decides he'll edit those laws into the OP*

FireFox
2009-03-15, 09:46 AM
@KK: Although this is an alternate world, you can quite easily say there is such an area. But there's chance no one will have heard of it.
@FF: Technically, I, and JJkaybomb, right now, are in charge of the government. And I can't speak for her, I'm afraid. But, on my part: I will not be doing anything with the government unless the situation desperately calls for it. Law Enforcement (which can only be as strong as individual players make it) is going to be carried out by characters - should people commit a crime, characters can report it to the Law Enforcement characters, or, if it's done in a public place, NPCs can. Some degree of common sense on the part of those playing the police (such as KidKris right now, methinks) will have to be employed. The government, as I think we've established, couldn't care less about the city unless there's chance it's going to break. Or something. Now, I've just woken up, so is that clear enough?

Also, minor edit: If you want your character to have an address in Residence #12, PM me, as some already have. Thank you. :smallsmile:

Fair enough...
*Is still recalcitrant*

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 09:58 AM
Fair enough...
*Is still recalcitrant*

To be fair, that's your problem. :smallwink:

FireFox
2009-03-15, 10:01 AM
Oh I know that all right. Which is why I'm still asking questions, like: I reread the rules and the story and the setting, and either I'm more tired than I thought, or something wasn't said; what exactly happens to the characters created as prisoners? My first impression is that Metropolis is more or less a city wide jail, where these prisoners just live, or is there a specifc place where the prisoners are isolated and confined?

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 10:03 AM
Oh I know that all right. Which is why I'm still asking questions, like: I reread the rules and the story and the setting, and either I'm more tired than I thought, or something wasn't said; what exactly happens to the characters created as prisoners? My first impression is that Metropolis is more or less a city wide jail, where these prisoners just live, or is there a specifc place where the prisoners are isolated and confined?

You were correct in your initial findings. The city itself is the prison. However, if you commit crimes within the city, you can be taken to a prison within the city. A prison within a prison.

FireFox
2009-03-15, 10:07 AM
You were correct in your initial findings. The city itself is the prison. However, if you commit crimes within the city, you can be taken to a prison within the city. A prison within a prison.

Okay. And where is this ministry of love? That's a stupid question. Nevermind, I know all I need to now. Thanks.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 10:11 AM
Okay. And where is this ministry of love? That's a stupid question. Nevermind, I know all I need to now. Thanks.

Miniluv? Still in Eric Blair's imagination, mehopes.

FireFox
2009-03-15, 10:25 AM
Heh.

Ah Skiakinesis and its potential to do horrible things with a little imagination. Don't worry though, I can keep my new character weak.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 10:27 AM
Heh.

Ah Skiakinesis and its potential to do horrible things with a little imagination. Don't worry though, I can keep my new character weak.

Skiakinesis.
THAT'S NOT HOW PHYSICS WORKS.
Totally calm now.
<.<
>.>
Seriously.

FireFox
2009-03-15, 10:36 AM
Skiakinesis.
THAT'S NOT HOW PHYSICS WORKS.
Totally calm now.
<.<
>.>
Seriously.

Great... :smallsigh:
Oh and you know everything there ever is to ever know about physics, hm? So tell me, how is it that superdensity and intangibility and photokinesis and all the other powers here in Metropolis conform to the laws of physics, as you know them? Not only do I have a problem with you jumping down my throat, since when has storytelling been primarily concerned with physics? Arthur C. Clarke, Asimov, and Bradbury were all wrong about various things, does that mean they wrote bad things because they didn't properly use physics? I can answer that one for you: Storytelling, and roleplaying in connection, will always be focused on character development, realistic interaction between characters, entertaining plots and subplots and even, if there is time, commentary and other points to be made through the characters and transpired events. Now you have at least two choices that I can see right now. You can go back and edit the rules so that people have to conform to the laws of physics, making you a complete jerk, or, you can swallow hard and back down on this because you know I'm right. Obviously, there are many more things you can do. You might probably want to go for the "jeez, I was just joking" approach, but that's just a sham.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 10:38 AM
Whoa. Seriously.
Much as I'm sure my saying "jeez, dude, joknig joking" will do nothing, 'specially as you've just mentioned such words in your last post:
Dude, joking. :smalltongue:
And, no. I know nothing about science. At all. :smallbiggrin:
And EDIT: Gah, I can't spell today.

FireFox
2009-03-15, 10:42 AM
Whoa. Seriously.
Much as I'm sure my saying "jeez, dude, joknig joking" will do nothing, 'specially as you've just mentioned such words in your last post:
Dude, joking. :smalltongue:
And, no. I know nothing about science. At all. :smallbiggrin:
And EDIT: Gah, I can't spell today.

:smallsigh:

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 10:45 AM
:smallsigh:

Thanks FF. If it matters to you, which I'm sure it won't, I was making a joke about what Admiral Kelly said in the first page of this thread about evolution, and trying to highlight the point that darkness is merely an absence of light. But, no. Clearly, I'm a liar and an imbecile. Thanks.
I know I won't be trying to make a joke round you any time soon.
And now, I have to go, guys; got Chemistry to try and do.

Darkcomet
2009-03-15, 10:48 AM
Looked like a simple joke to me. :smallconfused:

Shades of Gray
2009-03-15, 10:59 AM
Ditto for me...

... Ellipses

Beans
2009-03-15, 11:09 AM
Who here besides me had to look up skiakinesis, not knowing what it was?

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 11:34 AM
Sorry - this comic book fan here (*waves*) knew what it was before.

Anyhoo, moving on. We've had a suggestion that The Hollow needs a street name - any interest for it, or are we content to refer to the station it has as "Near The Hollow".

Ethrael
2009-03-15, 11:54 AM
Bark Lane? ((Get it: Hollow = Bark :smallbiggrin:))

I need to get out more...

FireFox
2009-03-15, 12:25 PM
Thanks FF. If it matters to you, which I'm sure it won't, I was making a joke about what Admiral Kelly said in the first page of this thread about evolution, and trying to highlight the point that darkness is merely an absence of light. But, no. Clearly, I'm a liar and an imbecile. Thanks.
I know I won't be trying to make a joke round you any time soon.
And now, I have to go, guys; got Chemistry to try and do.

No. Damnit, no. I understand you, much like me, do a lot of self-pitying, but I'm not going to let you put words in my mouth. Clearly, much of the fault for this lies with me. But I have never insinuated you to be a liar and an imbecile. What I was thinking at the time was that you had a habit of jumping on people. In my desire to not be hurt, I tried to shut that down very quickly. I not once considered the possibility you could have been joking, and for that I am responsible. But the only thing that is getting me angry is the fact that I clearly don't belong anywhere and will never be able to penetrate these groups' cliques. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings, but I'm not going to let you or anybody else try and guilt me into submission. Forget I ever said anything in anywhere, if that helps. :smallsigh:

Kaelaroth
2009-03-15, 12:46 PM
No. Damnit, no. I understand you, much like me, do a lot of self-pitying, but I'm not going to let you put words in my mouth. Clearly, much of the fault for this lies with me. But I have never insinuated you to be a liar and an imbecile. What I was thinking at the time was that you had a habit of jumping on people. In my desire to not be hurt, I tried to shut that down very quickly. I not once considered the possibility you could have been joking, and for that I am responsible. But the only thing that is getting me angry is the fact that I clearly don't belong anywhere and will never be able to penetrate these groups' cliques. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings, but I'm not going to let you or anybody else try and guilt me into submission. Forget I ever said anything in anywhere, if that helps. :smallsigh:

There is no "submission" to be had. We were both upset, and we, as hopefully clever, nice people, can put it behind us.
I'm not going to forget, but I'm going to forgive, and also say sorry if it seemed like I was bullying you; as that was not my intention - I may be many things, but I am not self-pitying bully.

FireFox
2009-03-15, 08:54 PM
I realized very quickly that you were not actually bullying me. I am really upset at some things that were said to me as a result of this, and even more upset that I was told to not refute certain accusations, and I'm just an all around sincerely sorry mess. Right now all I want is to get out before everybody either hates me or has a really low opinion of me. The easiest way I think to do that is to just quietly walk away, but I have an odd need to try and explain that. It's... I'll be open here, I have a phobia of being hurt, and when I perceive that people dislike me and start throwing accusations that are partially untrue, I get hyper defensive. So... yeah, I'm rambling. Sorry, I just thought you should know.

Bergett
2009-03-15, 10:15 PM
*cough* um okay
...anyways I threw in a character... have fun I guess...

billtodamax
2009-03-16, 12:52 AM
In case anyone was wondering, Justine can't control her purification powers. She gives off an aura that cleans things. An offshot of this is that she can never get druunk, because the alcohol is destroyed.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-16, 02:31 AM
*cough* um okay
...anyways I threw in a character... have fun I guess...

Great. :smallbiggrin:

In case anyone was wondering, Justine can't control her purification powers. She gives off an aura that cleans things. An offshot of this is that she can never get druunk, because the alcohol is destroyed.

So.. her very presence makes nearby people sober up?

billtodamax
2009-03-16, 02:41 AM
If they're close enough, then sure. Also heals illnesses.

Shades of Gray
2009-03-16, 07:17 AM
Who needs baths when you can just give Justine a big ol' hug? :smallbiggrin:

Ethrael
2009-03-16, 12:19 PM
That's a funny power. :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, Sandy and The Rat-Girl (Shades' character) be having a secret den in the subway network, anyone with a character who'd live there want to add them in? We have holed sofas and stuff! :smallbiggrin:

Shades of Gray
2009-03-16, 12:41 PM
And broken television sets.

Boo
2009-03-16, 02:25 PM
Hmm, so no one has done any anti-power characters yet? Funny.

Bergett
2009-03-16, 05:42 PM
If by anti powers you mean no powers, than no you're not the first

Kaelaroth
2009-03-16, 06:23 PM

I think he means someone with the power to negate other people's powers.

Boo
2009-03-16, 06:48 PM

:amused:

As Kael said, I meant negating powers. And no, my character doesn't have any powers, so I wouldn't be the one to claim such a power. I could, and I might, but probably not.

Bergett
2009-03-16, 09:38 PM
I see
Kinda cool idea though...

Mines so uncreative *sigh*

Beans
2009-03-16, 09:41 PM
I have a homeless, gritty street-urchin emo whose powers are over the dirt, dust, and grime of the city streets. She'll make your shoes grungy! Oh no!

Bergett
2009-03-16, 09:44 PM
No! Not my shoes!

Shades of Gray
2009-03-16, 09:45 PM
Beans, stay away from Justine. She'll ruin your character. She has a [Ellipses] A [Ellipses] Cleaning aura. :smalleek:

Beans
2009-03-16, 09:46 PM
Eeee.
Saff not all dirty? Ew.
She's so pitifully Boxdog-style cute when she's grungy.

Bergett
2009-03-16, 09:47 PM
(Guys I think Shades has gone crazy... he keeps putting [Ellipses] his sentences)
Or no one ever told me why.

Shades of Gray
2009-03-16, 09:48 PM
Berg, were those OOC tags in an OOC thread?

Also, my sig. Read it, it has the answers.

Bergett
2009-03-16, 09:54 PM
oh now I get it

Well it was to symbolize whispering but whatever...

billtodamax
2009-03-17, 12:39 AM
*Is bad at taking compliments* Um, thanks. I'm probably going to get her a job as a cleaner or something.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-21, 09:05 AM
Sorry for the temporary deadness, people - I've been busy. Will hopefully pump some more life into this place over the next few days.

Durp
2009-03-25, 12:27 PM
*Pulls thread out of ditch*

I was wondering-- It's possible for powered to have children, right? Hate to work blue with this one...

Kaelaroth
2009-03-25, 12:32 PM
Yeah, powered people can have children, with powered or non-powered people. And their children may have powers too, or may carry a powered gene, but lack powers themselves.
Typically, children of powered people are under government observation, or have also been sent to the city.

Durp
2009-03-25, 12:35 PM
Right. I was wondering, with all the genetic alterations and such.

Harley
2009-03-28, 03:21 PM
Well... After reading through the stuff accomplished so far, my interest has been piqued. I'll be submitting a character shortly!

Kaelaroth
2009-03-28, 03:22 PM
That's great. :smallsmile:
Also, your avatar is ridiculously awesome.

Harley
2009-03-28, 03:33 PM
Too bad Pyro-related powers got taken so fast!

Ah well, I had another power in mind anyway... :smallsmile:

Kaelaroth
2009-03-28, 03:38 PM
Cool. And remember, if you can think of a new way to express fire-based powers, that's fine. It's just nicer to have separate abilities.

Harley
2009-03-28, 04:39 PM
There's more than one way to set things on fire... I'm just going the indirect route with Lyssa!

Kaelaroth
2009-03-28, 04:41 PM
Man, I love electrokinesis too. :smallbiggrin:

Harley
2009-04-08, 05:31 PM
Powers with drawbacks are a bit more interesting than just plain "ooh, looky, I do things!". It builds character, since it provides interesting RP options (like that little exchange we just had, Kael).

Kaelaroth
2009-04-08, 05:36 PM
Powers with drawbacks are a bit more interesting than just plain "ooh, looky, I do things!". It builds character, since it provides interesting RP options (like that little exchange we just had, Kael).

I agree, to some extent, though oft worry that "drawback" powers often overpower a character. For example, the increasinly tiresome Rogue (mostly in the movies). Perhaps it's Paquin's dreary performance, but Rogue is just her coma-inducing-evils. And little more, in those films.
I'm sure, though, you're most superly-competent enough not to have those issues. :smallsmile:

Harley
2009-04-08, 05:45 PM
As long as I don't try and drain somebody's ambient bodily electricity, I don't think we'll have problems with my drawback :smalltongue:

Kaelaroth
2009-04-21, 08:37 AM
As long as I don't try and drain somebody's ambient bodily electricity, I don't think we'll have problems with my drawback :smalltongue:

Good to know.

Meanwhile, let's not let this place die, people!
*cattle prods a few peons*

Ashen Lilies
2009-04-21, 08:51 AM
Actually, I was thinking of getting rid of the pyrokinetic. Because as awesome as it is, it's not very fun to play unless you're
a) Criminally insane
b) A bit of a troublemaker
c) A Pyromaniac
d) All of the above

I flirted with the idea with a pyrokinetic who wasn't those, but it turns out there's a reason why that trope exists.
And I will eventually roleplay here. Eventually. Promise.

Kaelaroth
2009-04-21, 08:53 AM
Suuure you will. :smalltongue:
*thinks of superheroes* You could possibly take it as a Superman style power: It's so destructive that he must keep it under tabs, while desperately trying to [insert backstory-related objective here], without using his powers, or breaking the law.

TwoBitWriter
2009-04-21, 08:55 AM
Love this setting, totally making a character for this.

Working out a concept now, stay tuned.

I'm thinking someone with "Chameleon" type powers. He can change the color of his skin to match any surface he is near.

Which means he probably won't wear much in the way of clothing... For propriety's sake I will make it so his powers allow him to change his clothing as well...

Kaelaroth
2009-04-21, 04:03 PM
And to celebrate TwoBi coming here, I've made a new character! Yaay!

TwoBitWriter
2009-04-21, 04:08 PM
Heh, I'm flattered. :smallredface:

I think this is a really cool setting, and I look forward to playing in it.

Shades of Gray
2009-04-21, 04:25 PM
Suuure you will. :smalltongue:
*thinks of superheroes* You could possibly take it as a Superman style power: It's so destructive that he must keep it under tabs.

The flash had a similar problem, running too fast in a city would make a sonic boom and break windows.

Kaelaroth
2009-04-21, 04:28 PM
The flash had a similar problem, running too fast in a city would make a sonic boom and break windows.
Heh. That's gotta suck. Not quite as bad as a Marvel (I think) superheroine, I recall, who teleported by ripping the space-time continuum a bit, and she soon realised she couldn't do it on earth without breaking everything in a million mile radius. :smalltongue:
Oh, and, Firestar, who has this on her wiki entry: "The nature of Firestar's power grants her the capacity for large-scale destruction. However, she typically limits how much of her own power she accesses for fear of permanently damaging the planet, its atmosphere and electromagnetic field. In space, she is far less inhibited, and can access greater levels of ambient electromagnetic energy to fuel her powers."

Prince_Selm
2009-04-21, 05:05 PM
I thought I'd look into this and I have a question that seems kinda weird, but...

Are there large corporations in Metropolis?

What I mean is...

If I tried to make a Bruce Wayne type character, who's father is the CEO of a large corporation, who also has no powers, but "Hero Tech" from his father's company, would that work?

Kaelaroth
2009-04-21, 05:19 PM
Well. There're large corporations in the world. I doubt many are in Metropolis in any major way, though - there may be regional boards there, but nothing like an HQ. I'd also be confused as to why a rich kid would willing go to the city?

Prince_Selm
2009-04-21, 05:24 PM
Well, maybe he's next in line for the company, and despite his protests is sent to see about increasing the size of the branch.
(I figure that a weapons technology company would do pretty darn well in Metropolis.)

Yeah, that sounds good. I'll make the character after dinner.

Harley
2009-04-21, 05:32 PM
Sorry about leaving so suddenly, I had to live off the grid for a couple days while I was traveling in India. I'm back now, for a while at least.

billtodamax
2009-04-21, 07:02 PM
How was india?

TwoBitWriter
2009-04-21, 09:06 PM
Kaela, think we can just say that Damien is making his living by burglarizing NPC houses/apartments?

Not in his own building, no, but around town?

Kaelaroth
2009-04-22, 11:27 AM
Kaela, think we can just say that Damien is making his living by burglarizing NPC houses/apartments?

Not in his own building, no, but around town?

Sure, as long as you don't react badly if someone has cops come down on you (with sufficient justification) and such, and that you always RP out stealing from PC homes.

Sorry about leaving so suddenly, I had to live off the grid for a couple days while I was traveling in India. I'm back now, for a while at least.

No worries. How was it? :smallsmile:

TwoBitWriter
2009-04-22, 12:04 PM
Sure, as long as you don't react badly if someone has cops come down on you (with sufficient justification) and such, and that you always RP out stealing from PC homes.

I would only rob from a PC if we worked it out ahead of time.

I will probably RP a couple of NPC residences. :smallamused:

Harley
2009-04-22, 06:08 PM
How was india?

Pretty nice, except for the blasted heat-wave. My friend and I went to the Coachella Music Festival, so that was cool :smallbiggrin:

Ashen Lilies
2009-05-13, 06:08 AM
Hmmm... What would the reaction be to a slightly unhinged former super-villain getting caught and thrown in? Emphasis on 'super'. Not quite 'kills-people-for-gits-and-shiggles' type, since I imagine that would have got him executed or something, but yeah. Super-villain.

Kaelaroth
2009-05-26, 01:51 PM
Hmmm... What would the reaction be to a slightly unhinged former super-villain getting caught and thrown in? Emphasis on 'super'. Not quite 'kills-people-for-gits-and-shiggles' type, since I imagine that would have got him executed or something, but yeah. Super-villain.

The guards would feel pleased that they're finally doing their jobs.
My characters would all react differently.

Also, yaay for Dirk being here! :smallbiggrin:

Wraithy
2009-05-28, 05:05 PM
Aww, someone's already taken empathy. I was going to make a hard boiled private investigator who uses his newly awakened powers to solve mysteries. He used to think it was just good intuition, but since he triggered cardiac arrest through fear in an old addict with a heart condition, he was suspended and forced to resign from his rampantly anti-powers unit. Now he's forced to deal with life outside the force, and he can't even leave the city any more.

Kaelaroth
2009-05-28, 05:07 PM
Well... You could have...
1. Truth-telling?
2. Precognition
3. Minor Mind Control
4. Control over anatomy
5. Postcognition

Any of those work for your detective?

Wraithy
2009-05-28, 05:12 PM
My basic idea was that he could physically sense the ongoing misery in the city. He also has an abnormal sense of strong emotional imprints on items (such as hatred and pain on a murder weapon). I'm not really sure it could be classified as anything else. Anyway, I'm not really that sure I could make the character work now.

Kaelaroth
2009-05-28, 05:15 PM
Psychometry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychometry)? But on a quite weak, though city-wide level?

Wraithy
2009-05-28, 05:17 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'll hop to it tomorrow.

Shades of Gray
2009-05-31, 12:22 PM
Well Metropolis seems to be making a comeback this last week or so. What now? Should we have our first plot or anything, or just see where this takes us??

Kaelaroth
2009-05-31, 12:24 PM
Well Metropolis seems to be making a comeback this last week or so. What now? Should we have our first plot or anything, or just see where this takes us??

I have something semi-vaguely-planned, but I'm not sure how willing I am to do it. Depends on whether other people want some plotty action, of any kind.

Dirk Kris
2009-05-31, 12:35 PM
Plot?

>.>
<.<

Dirky like-a plot. Count me in if something goes down. Count me as the totally useless, "ohmigod what's going on here I can't do anything but stand here and scream" character. :smallbiggrin:

TwoBitWriter
2009-05-31, 01:12 PM
Sorry for dropping earlier, what's going on?

Morty
2009-05-31, 01:23 PM
Well, admitedly I've got a character that's both perfectly regular and not very active, but if something happens, I'm interested in participating.

Kaelaroth
2009-06-01, 05:38 PM
As one may have guessed, by the way, the attempted mugging of Daisy wasn't just a random encounter.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-02, 07:05 AM
I had guessed.

Also, I haz a doggie! ...sorta.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-14, 11:22 AM
Quiiiiiick question.

Would anyone be interested in being a part of a secret underground anti-government/oppression resistance...thing?

Shades of Gray
2009-06-14, 11:24 AM
While Jaclyn wouldn't join it, she'd have no objections letting them stay at "the den" When they're in a pickle.

Heh heh. Pickle.

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-14, 12:02 PM
Damien would certainly be up for it, he has no love for those who run Metropolis.

Wraithy
2009-06-14, 12:11 PM
I know I said I'd submit the Psycometer weeks ago, but I've been very very busy. Just calling back in to say I've not given up on it.

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-16, 07:42 AM
I created a new thread/location in Metropolis

Lucky Luigi's Diner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115085)

It's my very first thread I've ever created for FFRP, so be gentle. :smallredface:

Kaelaroth
2009-06-18, 10:27 AM
Thanks to Dirk and TwoBi for thread-making.

In other news, Celtois, your character doesn't really work. The whole point is that people are being arrested irrationally, however weak one's power is, they're arrested. And, frankly, increased intelligence isn't something one would consider weak.

celtois
2009-06-18, 10:33 AM
Thanks to Dirk and TwoBi for thread-making.

In other news, Celtois, your character doesn't really work. The whole point is that people are being arrested irrationally, however weak one's power is, they're arrested. And, frankly, increased intelligence isn't something one would consider weak.

How about photographic memory...that could be considered a power... The idea was to make a character who could use large amount of knowledge, if you can think of a good power for that. I just figured that there where some normal people there as well, I can come up with better rationalization as for why they are there. Quite easily in fact.

Kaelaroth
2009-06-18, 10:37 AM
There are normal people there. Just don't try and have a powered character who isn't arrested (unless they've, say, done a Daisy, and power-tricked their way out of it). Have a normie with a brilliant memory, and leave it be at that.

celtois
2009-06-18, 10:40 AM
I hadn't even thought of it as a power, just stating that she was smarter then normal. I put it there as I was using it like character traits. However I have changed it given what you suggested.

Kaelaroth
2009-06-18, 10:42 AM
I hadn't even thought of it as a power, just stating that she was smarter then normal. I put it there as I was using it like character traits. However I have changed it given what you suggested.

So she's a prisoner, now? What with having a power, and everything?

celtois
2009-06-18, 10:43 AM
Nah I tossed the whole having a power thing, just said she had photographic memory, which is not a power, given the fact that normal people can have that.

Kaelaroth
2009-06-18, 10:44 AM
Nah I tossed the whole having a power thing, just said she had photographic memory, which is not a power, given the fact that normal people can have that.

Cool beans.

celtois
2009-06-18, 11:04 AM
Hey Kael, you up for a bit of good cop bad cop style thing. You play one of the cops I'll take the other. :smallbiggrin: Unless your too busy for that.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-18, 11:10 AM
Yep, and we need some cops at the apartment building too. Damien's about to reveal just how dastardly and bastardly he is.

celtois
2009-06-18, 11:13 AM
The question is how would the cops know to go there.. unless Daisy tells they where he went or who he is.

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-18, 11:14 AM
Do you think we need a Police Station or Random Locations thread?

celtois
2009-06-18, 11:16 AM
Random locations wouldn't hurt, although I can see a police station being used. I know for one I'd use random locations to give myself a library to use. :smallbiggrin:

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-18, 11:20 AM
Well... if you want to know how bastardly Damien is, just read the Highburn street post.

*feels so guilty*

Dirk Kris
2009-06-18, 11:20 AM
Oh, no - they'll be coming for Daisy. :smallbiggrin:

I think a Random Locations thread is a good idea. Just make sure to BOLD at the beginning of your post where it is.

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-18, 11:22 AM
And we can always put up a police station or library if that location is being used often enough.

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-18, 11:32 AM
Double post!

Random Locations of Metropolis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115360)

Is it just me, or does it make the Metropolis threads a bit... more real... if you put a street name next to the location?

Beans
2009-06-18, 01:20 PM
Er... has Ophana been taken to the puh-leece station yet?

Dirk Kris
2009-06-18, 01:22 PM
Methinks so - and you're about to see Daisy there too. Won't Ophana be excited?! :smallwink:

Beans
2009-06-18, 01:23 PM
Well, Ophana being the spiteful b[puppies]ch she is, she'll start squawking about Saff being a power'd as well.
She will also snark at Daisy.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-18, 01:26 PM
I dunno how she'd know, but Daisy's sorta already in trouble for that as it is. But if she thinks it was Ophana...dude, she's gonna haaaaaaaate you.

Beans
2009-06-18, 01:28 PM
Thing is, Ophana lives for provocation. If Daisy accused her of being the snitch, she'd own up to it and be smug about it---just for an excuse to fight.

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-18, 01:30 PM
Guess that clears Damien for the time being... until the guilt just gets to be overwhelming.

Beans
2009-06-18, 01:30 PM
Repeat after me, class: Misery makes for great roleplaying.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-18, 01:33 PM
*nodnod*
If everyone was happy, that would suck.

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-18, 01:37 PM
That's the first thing we learned in my Professional Writing courses.

You can't keep your characters happy for long. Still, this is a rather hard thing to do. I usually don't RP the "bad guy." Hell, I don't even really RP the "good guy" much either, so I am equally uncomfortable with both.

It would get boring if everyone got along great.

Person 1: Hi.
Person 2: Hi
Person 1: Sex?
Person 2: Sure

*curtain falls*
:smalltongue:

Beans
2009-06-18, 01:39 PM
I have a self-rule: the Character Trinity of Roleplaying.
The Good, the Bad, and the Angsty.
My Good is, in Metro, Myxoma, but I never use her.
My Bad is Ophana. Irony, blurgh.
My Angsty is Saff, of course.

Morty
2009-06-18, 01:56 PM
Well.
I have a Metropolis character and I'd really like to play him... but I can't get around to it for some reason. Maybe it's because he's a mundane person in a town of superpowered people? Then again, I prefer playing mundane people.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-18, 02:02 PM
My chick is powered, but only minorly so. And so far she has passed as a Normie.

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-18, 02:02 PM
I think there is a lot of room for your character M0rt. We need more players to keep this Universe interesting.

Morty
2009-06-18, 02:04 PM
Well, I'll try. He might not be powered, but he's a thief, so there should be no shortage of RP possibilities once I get him started.

Beans
2009-06-18, 02:04 PM
My Bad, Ophana, has the power to zoom ludicrously fast six feet at a time, but it leaves her woozy and off balance.
Saff is essentially the Sand Queen, but is too beaten-down to do anything with it other than be a really good streetcleaner and have lungs invulnerable to her own horrible cigarettes.

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-18, 02:09 PM
Hey, Damien is a thief too.

Wow... I should have looked over the registry a bit closer before making up my character. :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2009-06-23, 04:05 PM
At least I KNOW he's a dog.
:smalltongue:

Dirk Kris
2009-06-24, 12:01 PM
*snicker*
Yeah, I liked that too.
So what's up? Is Daisy ever gonna meet man-Spike? :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2009-06-25, 01:40 AM
Wait and see?

TwoBitWriter
2009-06-25, 07:31 AM
Does Spike prefer being a dog?

Kaelaroth
2009-06-25, 11:12 AM
Does Spike prefer being a dog?
Yup, that he does.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-28, 09:16 AM
Srsly, NO Metro posts all weekend? For shame, ladies and gentlemen - for shame.

Kaelaroth
2009-06-28, 09:39 AM
Srsly, NO Metro posts all weekend? For shame, ladies and gentlemen - for shame.

I've been away, in the big'n'bad real life, m'dear.

Morty
2009-06-28, 09:40 AM
Provided I'm not flooded, I'll try and start RPing Lech again sometime.

Beans
2009-06-28, 09:46 AM
I'm here for stuff-doing.

Shades of Gray
2009-06-28, 09:50 AM
I'm here too. Just recovered from my week-long fever.

Dirk Kris
2009-07-01, 08:23 AM
Glad you're feeling better, SoG.

*snicker*
And count on Kaela to stir things up EVER so subtly. :smallamused:

Beans
2009-07-01, 09:52 AM
With magical bombs that phase through metal window-grates.
Or, heck, maybe they just get launched really frickin' hard. Like, enough to punch through the grating.
Whatever.
I think JJK would be proud to see what happened to her brainchild. *snif*

TwoBitWriter
2009-07-01, 09:55 AM
I think the only way Ryan is going to get to Saff is if she hears him talking in the dining area and comes out to see him. Luigi doesn't quite know Ryan yet...

Prince_Selm
2009-07-01, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I don't really have a plan. I'm just gonna roleplay him and hope for the best. :smallbiggrin:

Beans
2009-07-01, 09:57 AM
Possibly.

Also, Ophana is considering a metaphorical deal with the devil.

TwoBitWriter
2009-07-01, 10:04 AM
TwoBit, what about the ravioli question? :smallbiggrin:

I edited my post to reflect it. You kinda ninja'd me. :smalltongue:

Prince_Selm
2009-07-01, 10:05 AM
And I deleted my post, but you ninja'd me, so now the one you just made makes no sense. :smalltongue:

Ashen Lilies
2009-07-02, 10:15 AM
And the first character that feels 'right' comes into being within my head. Powers and everything. Yaaay!!!

On a related note, Power Blocking/Suppressing technology: Y/N? To be used on my own character, as letting a captured 'super-villain' run around with all his powers seems either callous or unwise, on the part of whoever runs the city.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-11, 07:23 AM
On a related note, Power Blocking/Suppressing technology: Y/N? To be used on my own character, as letting a captured 'super-villain' run around with all his powers seems either callous or unwise, on the part of whoever runs the city.

Exists, but is highly experimental, in nearly all cases, along with expensive. Note, though, that the government's rich, and wouldn't care so much about risks to the actual prisoner.

In other news,
I'm sure you guys can manage for a bit. Bye. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6478577&postcount=1591)

Ashen Lilies
2009-07-11, 07:25 AM
You put entirely too much faith in our ability to survive without you. Obviously, this is a trait that must be pruned. With a cutting torch, preferably, in order to make the mark last.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-11, 07:28 AM
You put entirely too much faith in our ability to survive without you. Obviously, this is a trait that must be pruned. With a cutting torch, preferably, in order to make the mark last.

Things will likely work without me. If they do not, I'll hopefully return. And hopefully fix things back to life. See.

Beans
2009-07-11, 06:41 PM
I'll be gone from tomorrow to Saturday.
Yes, I love you all, especially Dirky and Toobs.

TwoBitWriter
2009-07-12, 07:21 AM
I'll be gone from tomorrow to Saturday.
Yes, I love you all, especially Dirky and Toobs.

I can speak for Dirky, as well as myself, that we love you too!

Be safe while you are gone!

And Kaela, the exact same goes for you!

Dirk Kris
2009-07-12, 09:35 AM
Doh, what a crappy thing to return to after two days, and with a truly impressive sunburn to boot!

Beansy, Kaela, be safe and well and return to us quickly. I miss ya already, and love ya dearly.

McBish
2009-07-16, 11:19 AM
So I have a character idea for Metropolis. Basically a very smart man, who is also probably schizophrenic, or maybe he does have intergalactic aliens talking to him in his head. Don't worry aliens won't be showing up out of the blue. I would like to portray him as homeless, since the signal from the aliens seems to get blocked indoors. So what do you think, got room in your imperfect city for a crazy homeless genius?

Dirk Kris
2009-07-16, 11:46 AM
Of course, Bishy! Just read the rules and post the specifics in the character thread, and then welcome aboard!

Bergett
2009-07-16, 01:05 PM
Bah I'm here...

Dirk Kris
2009-07-16, 01:14 PM
Then POST so we know where you are, silly Doctor Man!

Bergett
2009-07-16, 01:15 PM
I did....
HA!
On highburn...

Beans
2009-07-18, 08:30 AM
Hello, my dearies. I'm back.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-18, 02:32 PM
Hello, my dearies. I'm back.

As am I, now. With various snippets of plot.

Beans
2009-07-19, 12:21 PM
Sad news for everybody ever; Toobs got le busted at work, thus limiting his ability to RP from there.
CURSE YOU, WORK.

TwoBitWriter
2009-07-19, 12:25 PM
I didn't literally mean for you to post something, Beansy. :smalltongue:

I work Monday through Friday, so I'm good today. :smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2009-07-19, 01:57 PM
Eek - what happened, Toobs? :smalleek:

TwoBitWriter
2009-07-19, 02:01 PM
Well, basically, now the IT department is going to actively monitor my internet usage. If I access non-work related sites when it's not my lunch or break times, I lose my holiday bonus (which is about $1500 bucks.)

Dirk Kris
2009-07-19, 02:04 PM
Here's what I wanna know - where be mah doggie?

Kaelaroth
2009-07-19, 02:05 PM
Here's what I wanna know - where be mah doggie?

Waking up. I'm trying to get my various characters in order, first. Vorka in Acronym was going to come first, but since someone mentioned it, Spike may have to appear tonight. Or tomorrow.
What with Kaela having a life outside this fourth wall. :smalltongue:

Dirk Kris
2009-07-19, 02:07 PM
Good for you. I just weave Metro into my work life. :smalltongue:

Dirk Kris
2009-07-20, 12:47 PM
Bergette, I need you to pick an apartment number and let me know what it is so I can update the new thread.

Also, WOOT! We reached a thread #2!

And when/if Hannah gets an apartment, Saff moves in, etc, I need those, too.

TwoBitWriter
2009-07-20, 12:48 PM
Well, my lunch hour is ending. :smallfrown:

I will be back on for 15 minutes in two hours...

Work sucks.

McBish
2009-07-20, 03:42 PM
Pokes Kaelaroth back towards Luigi's. Looks around innocently.

Beans
2009-07-20, 03:44 PM
This is turning into

METROPOLIS
A PUZZLE OF FLESH.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-20, 03:46 PM
Pokes Kaelaroth back towards Luigi's. Looks around innocently.
Apologies.

McBish
2009-07-20, 03:49 PM
No problem. Just thought I would give a gentle reminder.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-22, 08:27 AM
I am being interviewed, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6553400#post6553400).

In case anyone's interested.

Beans
2009-07-22, 08:29 AM
Kaela, sign my baby!

Kaelaroth
2009-07-22, 08:32 AM
Kaela, sign my baby!

You has bebbeh?

Dirk Kris
2009-07-22, 08:34 AM
Posted a few Q's. Burning Q's which need answering. Or fire extinguishers, whatever.

Morty
2009-07-22, 08:35 AM
Dum de dum...
I still have no clue how to introduce Lech in any plot. It's weird, because I've never had trouble with it in ACRO. Any suggestions?

Kaelaroth
2009-07-22, 08:36 AM
And they've been answered, Dirk.

Just have Lech turn up, M0rt, anywhere?
Or have him follow someone!

Morty
2009-07-22, 08:37 AM
I had him turn up somewhere few times, but I couldn't think of a good enough reason for him to get involved in anything. Still, I'll keep trying.

Dirk Kris
2009-07-23, 09:20 AM
I have a character concept I'd really like to try out, but I think with the introduction of Seraphina, I should hold off a bit.

But, totally calling dibs on a blind guy with the power of prophecy! Not to make him overly powerful, when he sees something, his descriptions of it are always vague, open for interpretation, etc. Oh, and afterwards he doesn't remember what he said.

Beans
2009-07-23, 09:23 AM
Dibs on what might be called "Ms. Salad Fingers".

Neon Knight
2009-07-24, 09:36 PM
Cross post of the first draft of the new guide for the FFRP forum. Input appreciated. In particular, a description of the Metropolis 'verse.

Hello, and welcome to the guide to the FFRP section on GiTP forums. This guide is intended to provide helpful information for newcomers to the FFRP forum.

First off, the FFRP section is divided into different role playing universes.

ACRONYM is named for the acronym organizations, groups of like minded individuals, the names of which are acronyms. ACRO is set in the Nexus, an expansive all incorporating multi-verse. ACRO is multi-genre and multi-setting, and basically any character, plot and setting is acceptable for play here.

The Town

Metropolis [insert Metropolis description.]

BleachitP is a universe based on the popular shonen anime and manga [I]Bleach. Apart from this, it's main difference is that the story is a lot more directed than the other universes.

((Don't know either of those well enough to describe them. Could anyone else provide either a description or enough information for me to write up a description? Also, did I miss any 'verses?))

Each of these FFRP universes has an OOC thread where you can introduce yourself, ask questions, and get a feel to see if you would be interested in that universe.

The Rules

((I really like Vael's write ups of these in the old Town guide, so maybe we could transfer those over here abridged or wholesale, with some new supplemental sections. If not, I've got a lot of freaking writing to do.

As an edit, after Vael gives me her verdict on the subject, I'll start assembling this section.))

The Curtain

The curtain is employed when two characters become physically intimate. When two or more characters decide to have sex, the curtain falls to shield the eyes of the innocent from the festivities and to give some privacy for the participants. This is to both a) abide by the forum rules and b) to keep things relatively family friendly.

Etiquette for when to pull the curtain varies from universe to universe, thread to thread, and probably from poster to poster. Bottom line is that everyone should be comfortable with the actions you have posted, and anything violating forums rules is a no no.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-25, 01:50 AM
Metropolis is a lower-power sci-fi "inspired" universe, set in a prison city on Earth, where innate superhumans, and other undesirables, have been sent to. Magic, and certain other things, are not acceptable here.

Dirk Kris
2009-07-27, 11:19 AM
Question for Freddikins and Kaela - does anyone have something planned for Danny and Hannah? Do they NEED to be kept locked up, or could one acquire a slick lawyer and free them?

Beans
2009-07-27, 11:31 AM
Whether Jenkins's real name is Jenkins is... unsure. I think. Unless you important peoples say it's not.
Also, Metro needs moar kitties.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-27, 11:54 AM
Question for Freddikins and Kaela - does anyone have something planned for Danny and Hannah? Do they NEED to be kept locked up, or could one acquire a slick lawyer and free them?

Nothing from me. I just didn't want Indigo's death to go un-noticed/punished at all.

Fredthefighter
2009-07-27, 11:56 AM

Well, I didn't want to plan anything (because when I do it usually goes knees in the air and kicks itself in the face repeatedly until it stops moving), but I had planned to have Danny go all chivalrous and take all the blame to let his sister go scott free (or relatively scott free)

Dirk Kris
2009-07-27, 12:04 PM
Do you WANT them to stay in jail, Freddy-san? Or is it cool to bust them out? You can worry about blame LATER - when we have a trial. :smallamused:

Beans
2009-07-27, 12:04 PM
If I could say one thing about Saff, it's that if she went mind-snappy, she'd be far worse than Scary-Clarice.
And way, way more fun to watch.

Fredthefighter
2009-07-27, 01:16 PM
Do you WANT them to stay in jail, Freddy-san? Or is it cool to bust them out? You can worry about blame LATER - when we have a trial. :smallamused:

I don't know. I had an "idea dream" where Daniel gave a long-ish speech at trial to try and prove their innocence, and then when that didn't work, him asking the court to let his sister go on the grounds of "she doesn't have much control over her own powers".

*Holds head in hands and headdesks*
Freddy-san is confused.

Dirk Kris
2009-07-27, 01:21 PM
Whatever you wanna do, Freddikins, I'm just here to help. I don't want to run everything.

Fredthefighter
2009-07-27, 01:53 PM
Whatever you wanna do, Freddikins, I'm just here to help. I don't want to run everything.

Thanks Dirk. And trust me, you wouldn't ruin anything. Partially because there is nothing to ruin.

Dirk Kris
2009-07-27, 01:54 PM
Alright then, since you're online and it'll make Beansy CRAZY HAPPY - you's about to be sprung.

Beans
2009-07-27, 01:55 PM
It'll make me happy, but Saff will be like "WAHEY FUN TIME".
Danny's getting out?
Yes, dearie.
WOO!

Fredthefighter
2009-07-27, 01:57 PM
Alright then, since you're online and it'll make Beansy CRAZY HAPPY - you's about to be sprung.

M'kay. :smallbiggrin:
Let's spring us some kids from jail and turn them into fugitives.

Ashen Lilies
2009-08-03, 06:30 AM
Runciblekinesis.

Yes/no?

Kaelaroth
2009-08-03, 06:31 AM
Runciblekinesis.

Yes/no?

Sure! Does (s)he have his/her own runcibles?

Ashen Lilies
2009-08-03, 06:34 AM
He is the Silver Spoon, and will be appearing in a restaurant near you.
As a one off thing, most likely. Not everyone in Metro has to be a shining example of the human spirit in the face of adversity. Some people might just go plain spoony.

Kaelaroth
2009-08-03, 06:36 AM
He is the Silver Spoon, and will be appearing in a restaurant near you.
Yay!

As a one off thing, most likely. Not everyone in Metro has to be a shining example of the human spirit in the face of adversity. Some people might just go plain spoony.
None of my characters are shining examples. Only Daisy really is, methinks. :smalltongue: Damien tries, but *shrug*.

Ashen Lilies
2009-08-03, 06:37 AM
Well, okay. Considering my only interaction in Metro has been with Daisy...
Antony really needs to get a job. Eep. First time for everything, huh? Maybe he can pull the 'my dad is famous' card?

Kaelaroth
2009-08-03, 06:41 AM
Well, okay. Considering my only interaction in Metro has been with Daisy...
Antony really needs to get a job. Eep. First time for everything, huh? Maybe he can pull the 'my dad is famous' card?

Depends where you are, methinks.
Hey, you could go work for Cassandra Hart!

Ashen Lilies
2009-08-03, 06:43 AM
Hey! His dad is the founder of a communications empire that spans a good 1/8 of the globe!
Yeah, probably depends on where you are.

Kaelaroth
2009-08-03, 06:45 AM
Hey! His dad is the founder of a communications empire that spans a good 1/8 of the globe!
Yeah, probably depends on where you are.

"But I'm famous in T'quaionapio!"
"... Whatnow?"
"Stupid locals..."

Ashen Lilies
2009-08-03, 06:49 AM
Nah. His dad's only famous if you're one of those people who actually reads Time magazine. (Or equivalent) :smalltongue:

Kaelaroth
2009-08-03, 06:50 AM
Hm..
Emaunuel, wherever he is right now, will have no clue, and neither will Isserley. Mary, Stephen, and Cassandra may well. Spike might recognise the picture from the number of magazines and newspapers he sometimes sleeps under!

McBish
2009-08-03, 08:53 AM
SPOON! That is all, return to what you were doing.

Dirk Kris
2009-08-11, 01:34 PM
We needs to rescue Eve, srsly.
I feel baaaaaaaaaaaad.
And nothing's really even happened to her yet!

Beans
2009-08-11, 01:37 PM
Well, she's getting the psychological damage.

McBish
2009-08-11, 01:38 PM
Indeed, if Mara wasn't around I would feel really bad for putting her there.

Misguided Hero
2009-08-24, 12:30 PM
I apologize for being absent for so long. Some issues in my job and my family have drained not only my time, but my patience as well. My time has been devoted to these things for the past month, and as you have noticed, this leaves little to no time for metropolis. I have enjoyed metropolis quite a bit, and I would love to start laying it again, but for now, I think it would be best if I dropped out until I get my life sorted out. Until that time, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could godmod Alex a little bit. I don’t expect anyone to post as Alex much; I just don’t want to return to metropolis if Alex hasn't been there for weeks or months. I will try to start playing again as soon as possible. I’m sorry for any inconvenience I've caused by being away.

Dirk Kris
2009-08-24, 12:39 PM
No worries - we've all been there. I'll take care of it. :smallwink:

Misguided Hero
2009-08-26, 01:06 PM
Thanks Dirk! I'm expecting to start again within the next few weeks. If I'm lucky, I may have time this week or next week, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dirk Kris
2009-09-20, 01:18 PM
Guys, what's happened? Twobi and I had crack-downs on Internet at work, and I imagine school is playing a big part in the lack of activity, but really? NO ONE is posting? Let's not let this die, OK?

McBish
2009-09-20, 01:20 PM
I think I had the last post in # 12. Al came in looking around.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-20, 01:22 PM
Guys, what's happened? Twobi and I had crack-downs on Internet at work, and I imagine school is playing a big part in the lack of activity, but really? NO ONE is posting? Let's not let this die, OK?

Sorry Dirk, just not had my heart in it lately. :smallsigh:

Dirk Kris
2009-09-20, 01:33 PM
I understand, Freddikins. These things happen. Just let me know if you can. I've had the same kind of thing going on in ACRO, so...

Fredthefighter
2009-09-20, 01:46 PM
I understand, Freddikins. These things happen. Just let me know if you can. I've had the same kind of thing going on in ACRO, so...

I think I can right now (may have to go relatively soon though, and by relative, I mean I have between 30mins and 1hr).

Moofin Bard
2009-09-20, 03:51 PM
I can post when anyone gets their butts on. I don't want to post alone. This is why I sort of like sites where you can post in a certain topic in a location and wait for the other person to post back. Where you don't have to be on at the same time.

Kaelaroth
2009-09-30, 02:18 PM
I was wondering how much in favour people are of delegitimising the current registry thread, and getting a new one - what with JJKaybomb being gone, it's somewhat hard for us to update - which was one of the original ways we were going to make it different, as we'd have a power list at the start.
Any active players could just repost their characters onto the new thread?

Dirk Kris
2009-09-30, 02:32 PM
That sounds really good to me.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-30, 02:45 PM
I'd be more than happy to re-write my character profiles if it would make the whole thing easier in the long run.

Kaelaroth
2009-09-30, 02:46 PM
I'd be more than happy to re-write my character profiles if it would make the whole thing easier in the long run.

It wouldn't even be that much trouble - you can just edit, copy, and repost in the new thread. At least, I don't think that's much trouble! :smalltongue:

Anyhoo, I'll PM a mod about it.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-30, 02:47 PM
It wouldn't even be that much trouble - you can just edit, copy, and repost in the new thread. At least, I don't think that's much trouble! :smalltongue:

Anyhoo, I'll PM a mod about it.

I know. I was just saying that I was okay with it. :smalltongue:

It's a good idea anyway.

Kaelaroth
2009-09-30, 02:53 PM
I know. I was just saying that I was okay with it. :smalltongue:

It's a good idea anyway.

Thanks - and I've PMed Roland St. Jude about it.

Kaelaroth
2009-09-30, 04:56 PM
The new thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126827)
Might wanna start posting! I'll try and update it at least once a day, but no more computer for Kaelaroth tonight.

Morty
2009-10-07, 11:46 AM
A question: would it be possible for a person to have latent powers that are completely dormant for most of his life but awaken at some point?

Dirk Kris
2009-10-07, 11:49 AM
I don't see any problem with that. It's how things tend to work in the Marvel Universe, at any rate.

Dirk Kris
2009-10-08, 12:10 PM
Double post!

There has been a death in the family, so I'll be gone until Monday. Have fun.