12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +6 | - | 3
13th | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +4 | +6 | Seed Secret | 3
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +6 | Armored Spellweaving (Heavy) | 3
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +5 | +7 | Spell Shielding +3 | 4
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +5 | +7 | Improved Weavespear | 4
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +8 | Greater Spellwoven Strike | 4
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +6 | +8 | - | 4
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +9 | Seed Secret | 4
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +9 | Greater Weavespear, Spell Shielding +4 | 5[/table]

HD: d8

Prowess: 4 per level

Skills: A bladeweaver uses the Adventurer skill set and chooses one other set. A bladeweaver gains 2 plus their Intelligence modifier skill points per level.

Proficiencies: A bladeweaver is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all armor, and shields (but not tower shields).

Seeds: A first-level bladeweaver knows one seed and gains a new seed at fifth level and every five levels after that (at 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th). A bladeweaver uses these seeds to craft spells using the Spellweaving ability, below. Each seed has a number of different abilities available for purchase at a certain point value, as well as having a fundamental shape and saving throw type.

Spellweaving (Su): As a standard action, a bladeweaver can craft and cast a spell. By activating this ability, the bladeweaver immediately gains a number of Spellweave Points (SP) equal to one plus half their bladeweaver level plus their Charisma modifier. These points may be immediately spent upon weaving a spell from the seeds a bladeweaver knows. Any points left over at the end of the bladeweaver's turn dissipate harmlessly.

When crafting a spell, a bladeweaver may purchase any number of abilities from seeds he knows as long as he can afford their total cost. Thus an eighth level bladeweaver with a 16 Charisma and who knows the Fire, Ice, and Electricity seeds could use this ability as a standard action to obtain 8 SP. With that 8 SP, he could then cause his spell to deal 1d6 fire (for 3 SP) and 1d6 cold (for 3 SP), but would have two points left over. If he instead had an 18 Charisma, using this ability would net him 9 SP, which he could then use to cast a spell that dealt 3d6 fire (9 SP), or a different spell that dealt 2d6 cold (6 SP) and 1d6 electricity (3 SP). Any combination, therefore, is possible, as long as the bladeweaver knows the correct seeds and has enough SP.

The base shape for most spells is "Target", indicating it affects a single target within the bladeweaver's line of effect. If, when utilizing multiple seeds, multiple base shapes are used, default to the first shape present on this list: touch, ray, target, line, cone, sphere. An exception to this rule is when a seed specifically changes a spell's shape, such as the Sphere, Cone, or Line seeds.

If multiple types of saves are needed, then the target must make separate saving throws (a maximum of one for each type required) or suffer the effects tied to that save. For instance, a bladeweaver casts a spell dealing 1d6 fire (from the Fire seed) and 1d6 cold (from the Ice seed) at a second level rogue. The rogue makes the Reflex save but fails the Fortitude save. If they didn't have Evasion, the rogue would take half damage from the fire effect but full damage from the cold effect; however, since the rogue has Evasion, the rogue ignores the fire damage but takes full cold damage.

Casting a spell in this fashion provokes an attack of opportunity. The save DC for a spell cast in this fashion is 10 + 1/2 the bladeweaver's level + his Charisma modifier. Unless otherwise noted, the range on a bladeweaver's spell using this ability is 25' plus 5' per bladeweaver level.

Spellweaving is affected by arcane spell failure chance.

Seedpath: Unlike a sorceror, who may choose what seeds he knows, a bladeweaver has a limited number of options for seeds known. At first level, he selects his Seedpath, which determines which seeds he has access to.
Antagonist: Agile, Dispel, Fly, Teleport, Time, Word
Battlecaster: Agile, Fly, Force, Protect, Vigor, Weapon
Defender: Barrier, Conceal, Entangle, Protect, Sense, Vigilant
Elementalist: Acid, Earth, Electricity, Fire, Ice, Wind
Hexer: Cruel, Drain, Fear, Grease, Hex, Vile
Relic Hunter: Detect, Knowledge, Light, Runes, Sense, Survival
Sneak: Conceal, Freedom, Grease, Sense, Wolf, Word

Armored Spellweaving (Ex): Starting at second level, a bladeweaver begins to ignore the effects of armor on his spellweaving. He may use light armor without chance of spell failure. At 8th level, this ability improves to include medium armor and light shields. At 14th level, this ability improves further to include heavy armor and heavy shields. A bladeweaver never gains the ability to ignore the spell failure chance from a tower shield.

Spellwoven Strike (Su): At fourth level, a bladeweaver can channel his spells through his melee attacks, allowing him the ability to damage a foe with his weapon and affect them with a spell at the same time. When activating this ability (a standard action), the bladeweaver gains SP as if he had activated his spellweaving class feature and casts a spell as normal. However, he changes the shape of the spell to "melee attack with weapon". Should this attack miss, the spell is wasted. Should the attack land, the target is damaged from the weapon as normal and also suffers the effects of the spell. If the spell normally has a Reflex save, attacking in this fashion removes it. Fortitude and Will saves are unchanged. This ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Spell Shielding (Su): A bladeweaver is well-versed in the inner workings of magic and therefore is better able to defend himself against them. At 5th level, the bladeweaver gains a +1 bonus on saves versus arcane spells, cartomancy, and spellwoven spells. This bonus does not apply against spell-like or supernatural abilities that mimic spells, nor does it apply against items that mimic spells--it does, however, apply against items that cast spells, like a wand. This bonus increases by 1 every five levels thereafter (to +2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th).

Weavespear (Su): At sixth level, a bladeweaver can channel his spells through a melee attack and also use them to cause his weapon to attack with a mind of its own. He flings his weapon forth, imbued with woven energies, and it flies out and returns to his grasp.

When activating this ability (a full-round action), the bladeweaver gains SP as if he had activated his spellweaving class feature and casts a spell as normal. However, he changes the shape of the spell to "30' line". All creatures within the area of effect must make a Reflex save: a successful Reflex save indicates they avoid the attack completely. If they fail the save, they are affected as if they were struck by the weapon and the spell. If the spell normally has a Reflex save, the target does not need to make a second Reflex save: one was already made to see if this ability struck. Fortitude and Will saves are unchanged.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/spellcomp_gallery/92299.jpg

Seed Secret (Ex): At seventh level and each six levels thereafter (13th and 19th), the bladeweaver gains the knowledge of the inner workings of one of his seeds. He selects one secret from a seed he knows. When casting a spell using his Spellweaving class feature, he may apply one or more seed secrets to spells that he casts.

In order to apply a seed secret, he must utilize the seed that the secret is associated with: therefore, a bladeweaver could not cast a spell that dealt 2d6 cold damage (using the Ice seed) and apply the Fire seed's Igniting secret to the spell. However, if the spell dealt 2d6 cold damage (using the Ice seed) and 1d6 fire damage (using the Fire seed), the sorceror could apply the Igniting secret.

To apply a secret, a bladeweaver spends 1 SP when casting the spell. A secret may only be applied to a spell once.

Some secrets can be learned from multiple seeds. If this is the case, you must only learn the secret once to be able to apply it to any applicable seeds, and may only apply it once even if you use two or more of the parent seeds in a spell. For instance, if you learn the Strong secret from the Fire seed, you may apply the Strong secret when using the Acid seed, and when using both the Acid and Fire seeds you may only apply the Strong secret once.

Improved Spellwoven Strike: This ability functions as the Spellwoven Strike ability, except that the bladeweaver can imbue his attacks with spells during a full-attack action.

Improved Weavespear: This ability functions as the Weavespear ability, but can be used as a standard action and creates a 45' line.

Greater Spellwoven Strike: This ability functions as the Spellwoven Strike and Improved Spellwoven Strike abilities, except that all spell effects last until your next turn. As such, they inflict their effects on targets you strike with an attack of opportunity. The bladeweaver also improves the size of damage dice from their spell effects while using their Spellwoven Strike, Improved Spellwoven Strike, or Greater Spellwoven Strike abilities by 1 (from 1d4 to 1d6, from 1d6 to 1d8, etc).

Greater Weavespear: This ability functions as Improved Weavespear, but is usable as an attack-equivalent action (so that one can perform a full-attack with this ability). The size of the line effect is also increased to 60'.

New Feat:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/spellcomp_gallery/92300.jpg
Spellwoven Shot
Prerequisites: Spellweaving Strike class feature, knowledge of at least two seeds, Dexterity 15+
Benefit: You may use your Spellweaving Strike class feature (but not your Weavespear class feature, if you have it) with a ranged weapon attack, such as a thrown dagger or an arrow shot from a bow.

thegurullamen
2009-03-14, 05:17 PM
The example you give under Spellweaving doesn't make sense: you can't have fire, cold and hex as seeds known with a bladeweaver.

Xefas
2009-03-14, 05:17 PM
I'm trying to imagine some way in which Weavespear wouldn't look really silly. Is there a reason why it has to be a weird boomerang-with-temporary-magically-imbued-sentience thing and not just a beam that comes out of your weapon?

Fax Celestis
2009-03-14, 05:21 PM
I'm trying to imagine some way in which Weavespear wouldn't look really silly. Is there a reason why it has to be a weird boomerang-with-temporary-magically-imbued-sentience thing and not just a beam that comes out of your weapon?

Flavor that however you like. Alternatively, try looking at this picture:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/spellcomp_gallery/92299.jpg

Also, example adjusted, and Spellwoven Shot feat added.

MammonAzrael
2009-03-14, 06:08 PM
Nice, Duskblade-esque class.

Why can't they ignore ASF in light armor at first level? Sorcerors can at first level, and I would think these more martially minded characters wouldn't skip out on learning that ASAP.
The amount of Seeds they learn and the amount of Spellweave points they get look good. I haven't run the math, but looks to be a safe half as many as the Sorceror, which is perfectly functional. If you want them to have an extra point at first level, don't forget to specify the 1/2 level is minimum 1. Otherwise they'll need a CHA of at least 14 to get 3 SP.
I like the idea of the Seedpath, but feel they're a bit small and offer too little choice. By level 20, they will only be missing 1 Seed from their chosen path. I think expanding the paths by one or two Seeds would make them feel much more free, and some more customization. Also more Seedpaths would be good.
Armored Spellweaving looks good, aside from my previous note that I think they should get light armor at 1st level.
Spellwoven Strike looks good, but it doesn't actually state that you make a melee attack. I suggest templating it based off martial maneuvers.
Spell Shielding makes sense, and reflects the Sorceror well, but feels bland to me.
Weavespear is...odd. I can see it, but it just doesn't feel spectacular. And I suggest wording it like the Lightning Throw maneuver (ToB pg 68). The two improvements to it are underwhelming.
The number of Seed Secrets known seems good.
Improved and Greater Spellwoven Strike are solid, though they should probably be templated like the Duskblade's ability.
Do they know 3 or 4 Seeds at 14th level? The table is blank.

Cool class, and I like it. One thing that might be nice to help play up it's martial side is some bonus feats, especially Investing feats. Or perhaps some feats/abilities they can invest their Prowess into that alter their Spellweaving. If they were feats Sorcerors could take them too, but Bladeweavers would be better with them.

Also, it needs a good capstone. A 15' increase to a line attack, a situational +1 to saves, and a 5th Seed is no incentive not to multiclass or PrC. Right now, I don't see myself ever taking this class beyond 14th level.

Oh, and how does Spellweaving work if you have levels of both Bladeweaver and Sorceror? Do they remain separate abilities, with the SP only spendable on Seeds from that class? Can you use Spellwoven Strike with Seeds/SP from the Sorceror class? If you take the Extra Seed feat can you learn any Seed, or just one from your path?

Fax Celestis
2009-03-14, 06:18 PM
Why can't they ignore ASF in light armor at first level? Sorcerors can at first level, and I would think these more martially minded characters wouldn't skip out on learning that ASAP.Good point. I'll move that down a level.

I like the idea of the Seedpath, but feel they're a bit small and offer too little choice. By level 20, they will only be missing 1 Seed from their chosen path. I think expanding the paths by one or two Seeds would make them feel much more free, and some more customization.Problem is, I'm having trouble justifying adding mildly unrelated seeds to the seedpaths, so either I need more seeds (!) or I need to lower my standards.

Also more Seedpaths would be good.Yeah. I just put a couple in there so I'd have something to fundamentally work with.

Spellwoven Strike looks good, but it doesn't actually state that you make a melee attack. I suggest templating it based off martial maneuvers.Why so it doesn't. I'll fix that.

Spell Shielding makes sense, and reflects the Sorceror well, but feels bland to me.I could replace those with bonus investing feats, to go along with your following statement.

Weavespear is...odd. I can see it, but it just doesn't feel spectacular. And I suggest wording it like the Lightning Throw maneuver (ToB pg 68). The two improvements to it are underwhelming.Got a replacement idea?

Do they know 3 or 4 Seeds at 14th level? The table is blank.
Fixed.

Oh, and how does Spellweaving work if you have levels of both Bladeweaver and Sorceror? Do they remain separate abilities, with the SP only spendable on Seeds from that class? Can you use Spellwoven Strike with Seeds/SP from the Sorceror class? If you take the Extra Seed feat can you learn any Seed, or just one from your path?
Disparate weaving pools, just like being a Wizard/Sorcerer has it's own spell lists, a Sorceror/Bladeweaver have their own seeds known and Spellweave pools.

MammonAzrael
2009-03-14, 07:02 PM
Problem is, I'm having trouble justifying adding mildly unrelated seeds to the seedpaths, so either I need more seeds (!) or I need to lower my standards.

Yeah, I can understand that. Perhaps some custom, Bladeweaver-only Seeds? (I'll try and come up with some myself later)

I could replace those with bonus investing feats, to go along with your following statement.

Sounds good. Right now nearly all their features focus on their ability to weave spells, with their martial ability as the support. It would be nice if at least one focused on their martial ability first or exclusively, you know? An investing feat that increased the power/DC/etc of spells they cast while in combat/threatened/through Spellwoven Strike would be cool.

Got a replacement idea?

Hmmm...I was thinking about this. Maybe a Dancing Weapon style effect, where he can control it from a distance for a certain number of turns? I'm drawing a bit of a blank myself at the moment, but I'll ponder and toss out more ideas when they come to me.

Disparate weaving pools, just like being a Wizard/Sorcerer has it's own spell lists, a Sorceror/Bladeweaver have their own seeds known and Spellweave pools.

*nod* As I thought. What about the Extra Seed feat? can they pick any Seed, or just one from their Path? And will there be a feat to let them select Seeds from an additional Path?

Daracaex
2009-03-14, 07:37 PM

But then why would anyone want to mix the two classes at all?

Fax Celestis
2009-03-14, 09:12 PM
But then why would anyone want to mix the two classes at all?

For the same reason anyone would want to take wizard and cleric levels at the same time: Mystic Theurgeme Prestige Classes.

vegetalss4
2009-03-15, 06:12 AM
Why can't they ignore ASF in light armor at first level? Sorcerors can at first level, and I would think these more martially minded characters wouldn't skip out on learning that ASAP.

Good point. I'll move that down a level.

any reasons why you undid that again/ changed your mind?

MammonAzrael
2009-03-16, 11:26 AM
Got a replacement idea?

I've come up with a couple.

An ability that increases the save DCs, power, Caster Level, and other various effect of spells cast through Spellwoven Strike.
Spells delivered through Spellwoven Strike bypass Spell Resistance.
The ability to spend Spellweave Points to increase your weapons and armor: Increase damage dice, threat range and crit multiplier, reach, Armor check penalty, Max Dex, The type of material something is made of for DR purposes, and so on.
The ability to spend SP on your weapon to temporarily gain extra enhancements on it.
Seed Path Powers (see below)

On another note, I've been thinking about Seep Paths. What exactly is their point? Paths like Elementalist are redundant. Players could still create those builds if, instead of specific Paths, the Bladeweaver simply had a more limit Seed pool to choose from. As they stand now, Seed Paths don't really offer anything in return for their added complexity and restrictiveness. I was thinking, however, if you looked at them more like Domians, and a Bladeweaver gained extra abilities, or increased power with their chosen Seeds based on the Path they took, it could be very awesome. Perhaps gaining Basic, Improved, and Greater powers replacing the Weavespear ability.

sidhe3141
2010-01-14, 05:06 AM
I can't find any links to your Wild Magic system in the Table of Contents, so could you explain how you're limiting it? As it is, it looks like a first-level bladeweaver with decent rolls can cast 1d6 damage spells all day long, while a first-level wizard with the best rolls possible and a racial bonus gets 3 1d4+1 spells and 3 1d3 spells.

A few possibilities:

*Doesn't Always Work: A wild spell has a 20% chance of doing nothing.

*Unpredictability: A wild spell has a 50% chance of doing something other than what was intended (selecting target randomly, inverted effect, curdling all milk in a 50-foot radius, etc.)