PDA

View Full Version : Wile E. Coyote! [Creature]

Randomman413
2006-08-28, 08:03 PM
Cartoon Coyote
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast (Augmented Animal)
Hit Dice: 2d10+4 (17 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+5 Dex, +4 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Trip
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, DR 2/-, Fast Healing 3, Opposable Paws, Water Vulnerability, Hammerspace
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +1
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 21, Con 15, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Hide -2, Listen +3, Move Silently +6, Spot +3, Survival +1*
Feats: Track, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Advancement: 3 HD (Medium); 4-6 HD (Large)
Alignment: Neutral Evil

A coyote stands (Yes, that's right. He stands.) before you. With a malevolent quiver in his lip, he informs you that he's just purchased the latest in destructive weaponry from ACME. Upon lighting the fuse, his weapon explodes. Disappointed, he turns to you. He's lets you know that that was all your fault. And he plans to do something about it.

Trip (Ex)
A coyote that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+1 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the coyote.

Hammerspace (Su)
The cartoon coyote posseses an extra-dimensional space that holds a nigh-infinite number of objects. A weapon that deals (1D6)D4 damage and has a range of 1D6*10 feet can be pulled out of it on an Intelligence check DC 10. Only one weapon may be pulled out at a time. After use, the weapon dissapears. Another weapon may be pulled out 1D4 rounds after the first has been used.

Opposable paws (Ex)
A cartoon coyote may use its forepaws as hands.

Water Vulnerability (Ex)
Cartoon creatures treat water as if it was acid. Resistance to acid damage does not apply to damage taken from water.

Air Walk (Su)
If a cartoon creature steps off of a surface and into the air, it may make a Will save (DC 20) to walk on the air. Each 10 foot increment travelled in this way requires another Will save, which increases by 1 per round travelled in this fashion. Failure indicates that the cartoon creature falls.
A cartoon creature that looks down at the ground recieves a -10 penalty to this Will save.

Skills
*Coyote have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-08-28, 08:06 PM
Wis 12? Are you kidding? I'd say 7 is more like it.

Randomman413
2006-08-28, 08:08 PM
You might have a point. He does, however, have his animal instinct.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-08-28, 08:10 PM
But in many ways he's outwitted his animal instincts; what about giving him Alertness as a bonus feat to reflect his still-keen senses?

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-28, 08:10 PM

You know, I'm trying to think of some way to put this idea down, but it's actually pretty creative, good job. One thing that I would like to see is more special qualities for cartoon creatures or some guideline for the special abilities of cartoon creatures with higher hit dice. For Dr. Wile E. himself, though, you might want to give him a larger variety or a more specific type of weapon/item/explosive (Maybe a d100 chart) to pull from his bag at higher levels. I'm thinking that this could be used whenever some very, VERY large source of chaos is introduced into the world.

Alternatively, this could be turned into a template...that would be very interesting.

Randomman413
2006-08-28, 08:12 PM
It's based from a CUTE template, actually.

HomerHT
2006-08-28, 08:25 PM
Hmm, how about a new ability...

"Clumsiness: always critically fails UMD checks such that the device backfires in a dramatic way. This cannot reduce the coyote below 1 hit point."

;D

Jack_Simth
2006-08-28, 08:46 PM
Actually, I think that's the curse of the Road Runner.

Road Runner Curse (Ex): When attempting to harm a Road Runner, nothing works. Wizard's roll a -1 on their 0% Arcane Spell Failure chance. Rogues find their UMD checks at a circumstance penalty just enough that, after the roll, they missed the DC by exactly 1. Clerics, for no apparent reason, fail concentration checks caused by a light breeze. Fighter's roll 1's, and their weapons slip out of their hands. And so on. Additionally, a Road Runner always wins initiative, and always travels at least twice as fast as anyone chasing (and more, for dramatic effect). Road Runners cannot be grappled.

I'd say Regeneration, rather than Fast Healing - Wile E Coyote falls off of 1,000+ foot cliffs and leaves a Wile E Coyote-shaped hole in the ground. hundreds of Rocks bigger than he is fall on top of him from a hundred feet up. And in essentially all cases, he's just fine in a scene or two.

Delcan
2006-08-28, 10:29 PM
Seconded on the regeneration suggestion. Nothing deals lethal damage to Wile E. Coyote.

Also, I suggest:

ACME Account (Ex): Cartoon coyotes have a reliable, all-expense-paid account with a corporation that can supply nearly anything of alchemical, technological, or magical usefulness. However, these products can be depended upon to fail at any given time.

By taking 1 minute to fill out forms, a cartoon coyote can submit an order to this corporation (the means by which the order arrives there are irrelevant.) This order is treated as a wish spell for a magical item, except no XP loss is necessary for the item desired. Within one day, the coyote's request arrives - it can be anything from an immense explosive, to a complex siege engine, to a flying machine. However, whenever the cartoon coyote is using the device to achieve a desired goal, the device has a 50% chance per round to suffer a catastrophic malfunction. This chance of failure increases to 95% whenever within 500 feet of a cartoon bird of any kind.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-28, 11:29 PM
This thread has every symptom of spirallingoutofcontroliosis.

Jack_Simth
2006-08-29, 12:36 AM
This thread has every symptom of spirallingoutofcontroliosis.
Yes, but it's all in good fun.

Randomman413
2006-08-29, 04:27 PM
While in good fun, could it perhaps also be all in good voting?
I'd love to it if this, and, subsequesntly, other CUTE monsters could be admitted to monsters in the playgorund.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-30, 11:42 PM
... ... ... ... I hate to say this, but I don't think "cute" is what we want MitP to be. I'll be happy to start a petition to get the CUTE Compendium or whatever organized like MitP, but let's keep our cute game stuff and our serious game stuff separate.

Yuki Akuma
2006-08-31, 07:21 AM
... ... ... ... I hate to say this, but I don't think "cute" is what we want MitP to be. I'll be happy to start a petition to get the CUTE Compendium or whatever organized like MitP, but let's keep our cute game stuff and our serious game stuff separate.

Have you been reading the CUTE thread? I wouldn't call it tongue-in-cheek, personally.

NullAshton
2006-08-31, 07:45 AM
Wouldn't acid be the only thing to do damage to it, instead of water? With regeneration for everything else?

Yuki Akuma
2006-08-31, 07:50 AM
Wouldn't acid be the only thing to do damage to it, instead of water? With regeneration for everything else?

Nope. The updated Cartoon Creature template has Fast Healing, instead of Regeneration. Water deals damage to them because they're made of ink/paint.

The updated template is here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=display;board=homebrew;num=11543005 05;start=720#721).

Randomman413
2006-09-01, 04:18 PM
Hey Yuki, why don't you submit the Cartoon Template?

And for those of you believing cartoons to be harmless little beasties, go check out Toonpunk:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=144268

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-01, 04:42 PM
Have you been reading the CUTE thread? I wouldn't call it tongue-in-cheek, personally.

I'm not saying that there isn't quality work being done, or that it isn't worth taking seriously. Maybe my comment wasn't worded exactly right. What I'm trying to sy is that if the Cartoon Animal template is added, and a creature like Wile E. Coyote is added as a representative, people will look at it and immediately take the whole MitP less seriously, at least people who are unfamiliar with Project CUTE. It won't matter if it's balanced or clever, the fact remains that people will take it less seriously. Not to mention the royalties we'll have to pay to be able to use the name "Wile E. Coyote". And even if it's just called "Cartoon Coyote", the flavor text is a fairly obvious giveaway.

In summary, while I consider this creature and other creatures from Project CUTE to be well-thought out creations that are worthy of praise, I feel that the "feel" of CUTE things in general is incompatible with the feel aimed for by MitP. Project Cute is about childhood adventures with imaginary things and all kinds of features that are balanced and fit well into that theme of childhood, but MitP has a different, more... mature theme. That's not exactly the right word. What I mean is, it's like the difference between Land Before Time and Jurassic Park. They're both movies about dinosaurs, but they are entirely different, and you wouldn't mix them together.

Randomman413
2006-09-01, 04:45 PM
MOre accurate would be the part of Land Before Time with the T-Rex, except having the little dinosaurs standing on two legs, wielding weapons that look like something you'd think you'd see a little pixie druid using, and then viciously beating the snot out of the tremendous beast. There's very little that's really cute about CUTE.

Yuki Akuma
2006-09-01, 05:42 PM
Could I just say that I don't want the template I created to be in the Monsters in the Playground book, so therefore the Cartoon Coyote shouldn't be in it either?

Thank you. I don't think it fits, either.

Randomman413
2006-09-01, 05:48 PM
Awww....fair enough. :-/ Consider this MitP entry dead.

Thread closed. :P

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-01, 06:14 PM
MOre accurate would be the part of Land Before Time with the T-Rex, except having the little dinosaurs standing on two legs, wielding weapons that look like something you'd think you'd see a little pixie druid using, and then viciously beating the snot out of the tremendous beast. There's very little that's really cute about CUTE.

Granted. However, what you just more or less said was: "CUTE is about little kids who go on adventures and totally beat the crap out of things." The fact that they totally beat the crap out of things doesn't change the mental image of cute li'l uns wandering around with stick-swords and blanket-capes. Just like when I say, "The Watch on the Rhine (by John Ringo and Thom Kratzmann) is about a bunch of old Waffen SS guys who get rejuvenated to help fight off an alien invasion, and most of the SS guys turn out to be okay," the fact that most of the SS guys turn out to be okay doesn't change the mental image of stone-faced guys in black, silver, and swastikas baking Jews, Gypsies and Poles in Auschwitz and Birkenau, shooting civilians out of hand on the Eastern Front, etc.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-01, 06:23 PM
Godwin's Law has been invoked.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-01, 06:30 PM
Why? I only ever mentioned the lackeys of the man to whom Godwin's Law pertains, not the man himself. Foul, I say!