PDA

View Full Version : Purging the Defilement: Destroying the New World of Darkness

Leliel
2009-03-15, 12:56 PM
Well, let's say a group of supernaturals. having finally reached the breaking point, decide that the World of Darkness is too corrupt to live, and that the only way to change it is to destroy it-explosive growth following a fire, and all that.

How would you suggest they go about this, and what do you think the story consequences should be when the others realize the've gone off the deep end?

Tengu_temp
2009-03-15, 01:00 PM
Seeing that WoD is Earth...
http://qntm.org/?destroy

Ascension
2009-03-15, 01:21 PM
In before Exterminatus/Death Star/Base Delta Zero reference(s).

That being said, I do believe orbital bombardment is the way to go. Well, either that or you could just let the Wyrm have it. I mean, if a malevolent entity already wants to destroy the world, and you want to destroy the world, why not just let it do its thing?

comicshorse
2009-03-15, 01:32 PM
I was thinking of the Wyrm as well. Ity is the Wyrms mission to destroy all creation so letting it in to snack on the world seems the best bet.

I'm not that familiar with the NWoD, but from old Nephandi mages had contact with some pretty nasty entities out in the dark spaces whhich might do the job.

Int he Baali book it mentioned a ritual the Elder Baali knew a ritual to summon a Lord of Hell ( though they did appear to need all of Crete to cast it)

The Devil-Tigers of the Kue-jin whole purpose was to end the world. I believe they intended to trigger a world-wide nuclear exchange

Warpfire
2009-03-15, 01:34 PM
In before Exterminatus/Death Star/Base Delta Zero reference(s).

That being said, I do believe orbital bombardment is the way to go. Well, either that or you could just let the Wyrm have it. I mean, if a malevolent entity already wants to destroy the world, and you want to destroy the world, why not just let it do its thing?

Destroying the New World of Darkness

Anyway, what exactly do you mean by 'destroy'? Murder all the supernaturals? Kill everyone? Destroy the planet itself?

Also, what kind of supernaturals? I mean, if it's Mages there's a pretty good chance they could actually do it and we're screwed.

Leliel
2009-03-15, 01:38 PM
Any of the above, to both questions.

Kurald Galain
2009-03-15, 01:42 PM
Get the Gehenna, Apocalypse, or Ascension sourcebooks from the oWOD. They list plenty of ways in which the world may be destroyed, most of which can be applied quite easily to the nWOD.

comicshorse
2009-03-15, 01:49 PM
I'd really recommend NOT getting the Gehenna book. It is very poor.
Haven't read the others

Kurald Galain
2009-03-15, 02:16 PM
I'd really recommend NOT getting the Gehenna book. It is very poor.

Really? I found it completely awesome, in a large variety of ways.

So logically, based on our conflicting reports, he should definitely get the book to form his own opinion. :smallcool:

comicshorse
2009-03-15, 02:54 PM
So logically, based on our conflicting reports, he should definitely get the book to form his own opinion.

I can't help feeling there's a flaw in your logic....somewhere

Selrahc
2009-03-15, 03:44 PM
Destroying the world as an immensely powerful supernatural entity:

Mage- At the highest levels mages are insane. Rip the world in half and build a new one from the ruins. They can do everything the other supernaturals can do, and more besides.

Vampires- Vampires have no access to the powerful godlike beings that exist in promethean or werewolf, and don't have the raw power of the mages to do it for themselves. Therefore vampires need to destroy the world using the humans. Majesty, Dominate, Obfuscate, Auspex and Ghoul your way into control of either the Russian Federation or the United states. Start a devastating nuclear war, or whatever other doomsday scenario you can manage.

Werewolves- Werewolves can do a lot of stuff due to their access to the spirit world. A high renown werewolf can command the respect of gods, and bring into battle beings who can wipe out cities. More subtly they could change the spirit world around a particular location. By introducing negative spirits into important places, they can drastically alter peoples moods and behaviours, with no possibility of getting caught(Well... other werewolves or mages could try but if you're all that strong you should be able to drive them off)

Prometheans- The wasteland effect of a promethean is devastating, simply by remaining in a large metropolitan area for a long time they can leave it an uninhabitable ruin. They also have thee unique ability to mess with the divine fire and its agents, causing effects that range far and wide across the world. If they break the mission of a greater qashamillim then the world itself may be placed in jeopardy.

Changelings- Um... same as vampires? Alternatively try radical terrorist activities, with even less chance of getting caught than a vampire due to the ability to dive into the hedge. I'd suggest dream based attack methods, but since they have access to real mind control, that gets left as a distant also ran.

Hunters- Not supernatural enough, would only have the same chance of destroying the world as a determined and experienced mortal.

Nahal
2009-03-15, 04:09 PM
NWoD actually has a few fun ways to destroy the universe, with several coming out of the Mage cosmology. You could always research the Nemesis Continuum (a series of equations that essentially disprove reality), and base the campaign around fending off people who don't want them to succeed.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-03-15, 04:13 PM
I'm with the Mage view. Nothing says goodbye to the world quite like super high end magic followed by just as terrifying Paradox backlash. Hell, given the way I see players act, the world should already be destroyed.

Warpfire
2009-03-15, 09:28 PM
Prometheans- The wasteland effect of a promethean is devastating, simply by remaining in a large metropolitan area for a long time they can leave it an uninhabitable ruin. They also have thee unique ability to mess with the divine fire and its agents, causing effects that range far and wide across the world. If they break the mission of a greater qashamillim then the world itself may be placed in jeopardy.

The problem with wasteland is that there simply aren't enough Prometheans out there to use it as a weapon, especially considering the vast majority probably aren't crazy enough to want to destroy the world.

Changelings- Um... same as vampires? Alternatively try radical terrorist activities, with even less chance of getting caught than a vampire due to the ability to dive into the hedge. I'd suggest dream based attack methods, but since they have access to real mind control, that gets left as a distant also ran.

I was thinking, perhaps an extremely powerful group of changelings could make a new contract with some sort of massively destructive force they could use to destroy the world? It'd probably require some sort of hugely difficult task to make, but it would also involve great amounts of destruction so that's killing two birds with one stone.

Selrahc
2009-03-16, 07:55 AM
The problem with wasteland is that there simply aren't enough Prometheans out there to use it as a weapon, especially considering the vast majority probably aren't crazy enough to want to destroy the world.

It just needs a few powerful ones really, although it would be a fairly slow process. If every few months one of the biggest cities in the world is rendered unihabitable, there would be a huge knock on effect. What would happen to the world if New York, London, Tokyo, Berlin, Moscow and Beijing were all simultaneously rendered completely uninhabitable? A few weeks later the same sorts of things begin to happen in Paris, Rome, Washington, Jerusalem and Mumbai. A few months later those cities are also rendered unihabitable, and the same effect presents in new areas.

It might not make humanity extinct, but the amount of carnage and upheaval caused by these disasters would utterly dwarf any war or any natural disaster to date, after a years work

As for motive... well it's fairly easy to convince prometheans of stuff. Just tell them that doing this will lead them to humanity and they'll follow you, or if they have cast off the path it should be pretty easy to get a promethean to hate humans.

Sergeantbrother
2009-03-16, 08:15 AM
Probably the easiest way would be to use mind control on the leaders of the world's major nuclear powers. If you can get the USA and Russia to nuke all of the world's major population centers, you have basically destroyed civilization. Though it may be the case that just controlling the mind of the nation's leader wont be enough, if the president suddenly says to his Secretary of Defense and Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff that he wants to nuke all of the major cities on earth, they may well disobey the order.

misterk
2009-03-16, 08:22 AM
It just needs a few powerful ones really, although it would be a fairly slow process. If every few months one of the biggest cities in the world is rendered unihabitable, there would be a huge knock on effect. What would happen to the world if New York, London, Tokyo, Berlin, Moscow and Beijing were all simultaneously rendered completely uninhabitable? A few weeks later the same sorts of things begin to happen in Paris, Rome, Washington, Jerusalem and Mumbai. A few months later those cities are also rendered unihabitable, and the same effect presents in new areas.

It might not make humanity extinct, but the amount of carnage and upheaval caused by these disasters would utterly dwarf any war or any natural disaster to date, after a years work

As for motive... well it's fairly easy to convince prometheans of stuff. Just tell them that doing this will lead them to humanity and they'll follow you, or if they have cast off the path it should be pretty easy to get a promethean to hate humans.

Issue with this is by the point of causing serious wasteland effects they'll have a lot of mortals after them, as well as other prometheans who may try to stop them. Of course, if the promethean in question is powerful enough, it may not matter.

Prometheans are relatively easy to fool if you can get them from the point of creation.

Selrahc
2009-03-16, 11:10 AM
Issue with this is by the point of causing serious wasteland effects they'll have a lot of mortals after them, as well as other prometheans who may try to stop them. Of course, if the promethean in question is powerful enough, it may not matter

If the prometheans know of the wasteland effect then they can do this all perfectly stealthily. Prometheans can eat anything at all and it will keep them nourished, so they can just sit in basement of a house and eat the wooden beams, wallpaper or passing rats. Nobody would see them enter.

Humans wouldn't suspect that an individual was responsible, other prometheans are unlikely to be able to intervene against you, since this is a hypothetical really strong promethean. You're not able to be found by any non promethean magic, since the divine fire is the province of prometheans alone, and you can keep moving around inside the wasteland in the later stages to avoid being found by conventional search parties.

All in all I'd say it is pretty low risk... you just have to hope they don't start nuking cities to prevent "contamination" spreading. Although by the time people are that desperate, I'd say you would be well on your way to your goal.