PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Fun character concepts list

newbDM
2009-03-15, 02:56 PM
My latest character just died due to inexperienced party members, so now I need some new characters/character concepts to stat up and throw into my backup characters folder on my Macbook.

I am drawing a blank at the moment, but I am sure that the vets here can help pull together a good list.

Would prefer ideas focusing on "fun", rather than on power/optimizing for this thread.

(p.s. Bonus points if it involves a kobold in any way. :smallbiggrin:)

AngryRussian16
2009-03-15, 03:08 PM
My last character that didn't make it to the table was a simple concept that I really liked

Gnome that was saved by dwarves as a child. His only goal in life was to become a Dwarven Defender

Fun concept, wish I could have seen how it fluffed out

RebelRogue
2009-03-15, 03:10 PM
Kobold Commoner with the Corpse flaw...

(Ok, so I'm not the biggest fan of kobold PCs :smallwink: )

Jack_Simth
2009-03-15, 03:28 PM
A cleric of Fharlanghn (travel) who goes around using Wall of Stone and Stone Shape to make things easier for travelers, and mark what's changed - Wall of Stone for Bridges, waystations, and the like; Stone Shape to carve Fharlanghn's symbol into the side of the magical construction, and to harvest stone tiles to place about to fit the "solidly supported by existing stone" bit required of Wall of Stone.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-15, 03:29 PM
From my list of cool stuff(from memory, since I'm AFB right now):
Dread Necromancer Necropolitan horndog. Uses a Vest of Gentle Repose to eliminate the smell.
Stoner Druid with all spells cast reflavored to be druglike
Bard/Druid/Beastmaster/Arcane Heirophant who is imprisoned. His Companion is adventuring to try and save him.
Dark Whisper Gnome Cloistered Cleric of Kurtalmalek. He hates his own species for their crimes against Kobolds and is so ashamed he constantly refuses to show his face or admit his race.

May list more later.

The Rose Dragon
2009-03-15, 03:32 PM
My favorite concept was Dabblade (portmanteau of Dabble and Blade), a Warforged Warblade who went on to study nearly every single form of "magic" introduced in any WotC splat book (incarnum, shadow magic, arcane magic, etc.) while still keeping full BAB in every class.

Very subpar, but extremely fun.

monty
2009-03-15, 03:43 PM
Cleric of rock and roll. His patron deity was Gene Simmons, took the Travel and Trickery domains, and his weapon of choice was an axe (yes, I know I'm a horrible person for making that joke).

NPCMook
2009-03-15, 03:52 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#aquaticKobolds

Taking a few levels in Cleric and Barbarian, he carries a bucket and every day fills the bucket with fresh water so he can breath, if his bucket is taken or knocked over during Combat, RAAAAAAAAAAGEEEE

Rhiannon87
2009-03-15, 04:10 PM
One of the most entertaining characters we've got in our group right now is a rogue/mountebank (PrC in Complete Scoundrel). One of the fun things with that is you get "alter egos" which you can change into at will, as the spell alter self. A kobold that can make himself look like a human or an orc or-- for hilarity-- a gnome? The character possibilities there could be quite entertaining.

Demons_eye
2009-03-15, 04:11 PM
Bobo the hobo-

Monk7 or Chaos Monk2/barbarian5 then FoF3/Druken master10

He like handcock.

Yukitsu
2009-03-15, 04:16 PM
Warforged monk/kensai with throwing/returning fists.

Graymayre
2009-03-15, 04:16 PM
A kobold with the Trapmaker Trapsmith Trapmaster Prestige class!

General plan should be:
1. Trap a box
2. point the opening at someone
3. open
4. ?????
5. Profit!

if that isn't allowed you can get a cheap hommunculus called a packmate (a walking chest). trap individual compartments of it, and mentally order the box to open those compartments at your jurisdiction.

Zaq
2009-03-15, 04:21 PM
My favorite character concept I ever got to play (though sadly not for very long) was a lawful good necromancer who hated undead but couldn't do anything else. He tried learning traditional spells, and they ended up summoning skulls and making ghastly visages. He tried training as a holy cleric, but every attempt he made at using positive energy turned negative. He tried ignoring his magical potential and training as a monk... when he was sparring, he broke his arm (as novices often do) and blood dripped on the ground. Where it fell, a skeleton rose from the ground and bowed to him. (He's not welcome at that monastery anymore.) Oh, and the less said about his stint training with that circle of druids the better... he even tried staying home and taking up a mundane, non-adventuring profession, but his strong sense of justice (remember, lawful good) made it so that he couldn't bear to stay home when there were people he could be helping, even if that involved those damned undead. Eventually he gave up and started studying necromancy in earnest to at least try to control what he could do and not hurt people accidentally.

I also made it so that he would spontaneously animate a lot of undead around him, truly spontaneously, as in "without trying." He would go to sleep alone in his house and wake up to find a zombie loyally standing watch over his bed, or a skeleton cuddled up next to him. He was a lot of fun to play, let me tell you.

monty
2009-03-15, 04:26 PM
Warforged monk/kensai with throwing/returning fists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCrFkc1cAQA

Myou
2009-03-15, 04:44 PM
A pacifist Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker with a merciful greatsword. For those bonus points, make him a kobold. :3

Kol Korran
2009-03-15, 05:00 PM
first of all, a "fun" character is a bit of a broad definition, since different people enjoy different things. maybe if you could try narrow down things a bit? what do you find fun?

secondly, i have nearly only DMed, so the following suggestions are characters my players have enjoyed playing. i hope you do too... (most of the characters come from the world of Eberron

1- Grimm, the orc barbarian fighter, AKA "meat cleaver"- nothing special here, your basic "me crush" kind of guy, played a bit like Minsc from Baldur's Gate. this guy got hit in the head when he was young, and came to believe (and worship) a rock that was hanging on a string from his neck. the rock's name (ahem, i mean god's name) was DO. he would have conversations with it, and had it respond and more. strangely, it was one of the most gratifying roleplay experiences we had.

2- a warforged straight out of the cannith training grounds (we beganthe campaign in the war). had the intelligence of and adult, but the experience and naivity of a child. again- mostly for rolepaly fun but it was quite the thing.

3- another warforged, on the contrary, that was supposed to be the perfect silent assasin, but for some reason decided not to adhere to it's masters. what made this warforged unique was that it didn't have a mouth, and couldn't speak (playe'rs choice, i worked with him and compensated for this handycap). the player conversed by simple sign language during sessions. challanging at first, but became a lot of funf aftwerwards (he was called Silence btw, duh)

4- a cleric of the god of trade, fortune and money (in Eberron it's Kol Korran, as my nickname) whotreated everything as a matter of "price", "cost/benefit" and so on. he viewed adventuirng as being directed by his god to distribute the wealth. after the player retired from the character i liked it so much i made it a recurring NPC.

5- changlings. realy, nuff said.

6- gambling lizardman (was introduced to the game by settlers that came to his lands, and it lasted ever since). it can be any race though. the character/ player had 2 traits worth of note: first of all the character had a deck of illusions (and later on of shadow conjurations) which he crafted extra cards for whenever he could, of different creatures and more. second the player himself had a deck of cards, and whenever there was a amjor decision he would let the cards make the call for him. he always added some realy outragesou possibilities to the draw of cards. the player, and other players as well had a blast with the character.

7- a dwarven cleric of the god of travel, who decided to quite the hard and strict dwarven life, and travel the world. very easy going, very friendly, and most importently- always open for new experiences. the character (played by a highly creative woman) always looked for new ways to do things, or just new things to do. hedonistic to the max, but always with taste, this character was like a breath of fresh air all the time. "this is the path, but not the only path. the road you make for your own is the most rewarding" became somewhat of a motto for her.

8- a goblin spiritguide (or whatever that class is called)- she didn't believe in the dark gods, she knew they exist, and that they were everywhere! only thing a goblin can do is know their evil influence, and either appease them, turn them, or circumvent them away... she was always muttering, supperstitious with all kind of herbal medicines (did nothing mechanically but were fun rolepaly wise). a bit like a grumpy mother to the group. another fun character.

9- not my game, but on another game two friends played semi telepathic twins. the player were realy, realy good friends, and could finish up each other sentnces, and could realy pull off the "shared link" thing they tried to portray. could be fun to try with a good friend

other ideas that do not come from my games:

10- how about an intelligent item possesing either a creature or a construct? in most thigns it would be like a warforged only more focused on a single object. but it could look for enahncement, or maybe transferance of intelligence into a body. tricky business..

11- similar idea, which might also work when a character of yours died. how about his/her ghost? again you could posses a creature or construct, and it could be fun. or you can even follow the party in your incorporeal form. should be fun for some time at least. i think there's a book called "ghostwalk" that may have more information on this.

12- complicated idea: a warforged druid whose armor is maid out of livewood. to further complications the livewood contains a dryad. the warforged gets her as a companion (of course this should be played out, maybe as bargaining with her, maybe as her being chocked and recovering from the transformation to the warforged.) you'll need a way to justify it story wise, and make new rules for this exception.

that's all i got for now. please let us know if you like any of the ideas and why (don't forget what i asked at the beginning of this post either), and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Kol

Eighth_Seraph
2009-03-15, 08:53 PM
Right now, I really want to play a warforged artificer that dumps all of his class features into becoming the ultimate magical arsenal. Essentially: become Iron Man.

Chronos
2009-03-15, 09:07 PM
One I came up with a few days ago: A gnome who had a talk with a very persuasive rabbit as a child, and is now a cleric of El-ahrairah (domains: Animal and Travel). He's a vegetarian, does whatever he can to protect prey animals from embleer predators, and propositions every female gnome he meets.

woodenbandman
2009-03-15, 09:42 PM
1: A character who was educated exquisitely in the finest of schools, but hated it because he's a brat. So he left to go live out on the street. He's extremely naive and he wants to be all tough 'n crap, but he's really rather not.

2: A middle aged man who pretends to be weak looking, acting out his limp/cough, but in reality he is quite a strong finesse fighter, using the element of surprise as he whips out his spiked chain out from under his cloak and knocking everyone out.

3: I have 2 characters based off of songs. One is a Feral Lesser Aasimar who is Chaotic Good. He was Banned From Heaven because he was too chaotic. His girlfriend is Lawful Good, and her theme song is The Seven Angels.

They are both in a band, and her lawful tendencies create tension in the band because she is such a bitch.

4: Not mine: A warforged who has been released from service and now sees himself as equal with every other living thing. Except that he doesn't think that he's really a person, he thinks that everyone else is a tool, like he used to be.

5: Mine again: an extremely flamboyant pretty boy whose sexuality is constantly called into question, but is also a vicious criminal who runs a large black market organization. Ask him for a favor, and he'll sit down and have tea for you, served by his henchmen.

6: A binder/shadowcraft/anima mage wizard who has had conversations with his "imagined" friends since a very young age. Continually has conversations with the vestiges bound to him at extremely inappropriate times, and constantly fails his binding checks due to low charisma, causing him to be a **** to members of the party and then immediately apologize.

PrismaticPIA
2009-03-15, 10:03 PM
Wild mage with a rod of wonder familiar, who rolled with a posse of red dragons.

Flickerdart
2009-03-15, 10:09 PM
Changeling or Doppleganger Chameleon who constantly agonizes about every choice that he makes, and always tries to keep as many options open as he can.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-03-15, 10:13 PM
Paraplegic Elocater

mrmaxmrmax
2009-03-15, 10:23 PM
My latest character just died due to inexperienced party members

I heard that two of those inexperience party members died at your hands. Is this true?

(p.s. Bonus points if it involves a kobold in any way. :smallbiggrin:)

I recommend you play a Lawful Good Kobold Paladin of Heronius (sp?).

Maxwell.

trehek
2009-03-15, 10:32 PM
Right now I'm having a lot of fun playing a half-elf half-copper dragon warlock.

His father, the dragon Haurachkurak, was cursed to live his live in constant danger, never to be safe from his enemies. To protect his recently gained new family Haurachkurak left never to be seen again. The half-dragon was raised by his mother, an elven wizard. One day his dragon blood awakened in a burst of magical power, resulting in a devastated home. His mother tried to teach him magic but found that he was unable to learn. After a long search his mother was able to find a teacher in the nearby forest: a satyr warlock.

The sweet part is that the half-dragon is evil. The satyr was a cruel teacher and a follower of Malar (evil nature god of hunting and slaughter from Forgotten Realms). The half-dragon learned to hunt and learned to relish the kill. Still, although he enjoys the hunt and thinks of it as sport, he does not enjoy senseless slaughter, and is quick to reprimand his fellow Malarites for doing such "senseless human folly, which perverts our Gods' true intents".

He's been fun to play, because even though he's evil and acts cruelly in battle, he's actually a fun guy to be around most of the time, buying everyone drinks at the bar for example. Also, his metallic dragon heritage along with his grim views of Malar's human followers actually help him get away with a lot of stuff.

EDIT: btw Zaq, your necromancer concept totally AWESOME! I have got to try that one out sometimes! :smallbiggrin:

newbDM
2009-03-15, 10:36 PM
I heard that two of those inexperience party members died at your hands. Is this true?

Yes.

They were trying to kill babies, children, and helpless women/mothers, while talking about stepping on the babies and boiling the children for stew.

I made it clear to the DM, like I do all DMs, that I do not play in evil campaigns. Was that part not mentioned to you?

Knaight
2009-03-15, 10:39 PM
One of the better characters I've seen was a monk(not the class, actually from a monastery. Warblade would be a close fit for the class), who only spoke in proverbs, and had black market connections. As well as mad weapon improvising skills. Punch a tree and out come shruikeen.

Knaight
2009-03-15, 10:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCrFkc1cAQA

I raise you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeuHKHh00M&feature=related
Dai Li Agents from Avatar. The epitome of throwing fists and feet.

mrmaxmrmax
2009-03-15, 11:08 PM
Yes.

They were trying to kill babies, children, and helpless women/mothers, while talking about stepping on the babies and boiling the children for stew.

I made it clear to the DM, like I do all DMs, that I do not play in evil campaigns. Was that part not mentioned to you?

What I heard was you alone had the kobolds cornered and they fired on your character.

What I heard next was that someone came to investigate, saw you were under attack, and worked to intervene on your behalf.

What I heard was that your response was not to subdue your friend, but rather to claw, claw, bite him to below negative 10 hit points.

Please tell me what I heard right and what I heard wrong.

Maxwell.

monty
2009-03-15, 11:35 PM
Right now, I really want to play a warforged artificer that dumps all of his class features into becoming the ultimate magical arsenal. Essentially: become Iron Man.

Actually, it might be better as a warlock. Eldritch Blast, Fell Flight, and miscellaneous other invocations for all of Iron Man's trademark stuff, and you still get item crafting (albeit at a higher level and with greater feat investment).

Dixieboy
2009-03-15, 11:41 PM
A pacifist Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker with a merciful greatsword. For those bonus points, make him a kobold. :3

How can one be a frenzied pacifist?

The concept is disturbing and hilarious

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-15, 11:56 PM
Changeling Factotum Chameleon. He's every character. :smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2009-03-15, 11:58 PM
Actually, it might be better as a warlock. Eldritch Blast, Fell Flight, and miscellaneous other invocations for all of Iron Man's trademark stuff, and you still get item crafting (albeit at a higher level and with greater feat investment).

That was going to be one of my suggestions anyway. Back in my college gaming group where my roommate was the DM, he agreed to let me play, if my primary character died, a Warforged Warlock whose invocations were actually just "upgrades" that he unlocked as time went by. Sadly, my primary character survived, and then the campaign only lasted a couple of sessions anyway. So sad...

I've also always wanted to play a character who thought they were a Cleric of some cause/deity, but who actually turned out to be a Favored Soul of some other deity. I've never run it by a DM, but I think it would be a really interesting RP opportunity.

newbDM
2009-03-16, 12:11 AM
What I heard was you alone had the kobolds cornered and they fired on your character.

What I heard next was that someone came to investigate, saw you were under attack, and worked to intervene on your behalf.

What I heard was that your response was not to subdue your friend, but rather to claw, claw, bite him to below negative 10 hit points.

Please tell me what I heard right and what I heard wrong.

Maxwell.

Um, not quite.

There was no need to investigate anything. I had made it clear to the mentioned PCs to stay behind and not interfere, and that he was trying to negotiate. That he was getting shot at was clear. I am currently debating if they just flat out ignored me.

In character I even repeated screamed out "STOP!!!! NO SHOOT BABIES!!!".

And again, they were both joking about stomping on the unborn/hatched babies, and making the children stew.

I would not doubt that they might not have heard me at all, no matter the fact that I repeated it multiple times. Aside from the no evil games/character part, I also left the campaign because the game is somewhat erratic. Practically everyone is CN (although one is actually playing "Chaotic Evil Lite"), and there is no leader figure. No one is even trying to coordinate the group, or get them to work together. The default leader (Stephen) even said that he does not want the role of leader at all, and he wasn't there to boot. With a group of seven players/PCs, this is especially bad. The game was basically a mess, so I can see if they were not listing to me at all multiple times.

And they were not "cornered" in the least. I'd love to hear who said that. I put myself against a wall, with my hands up, and letting them fire two rounds at me without retaliating. I was not a threat at all, and was actually trying to negotiate with them to help them. Peter just did not get into any type of roleplaying, hence putting my ranks in Bluff and Diplomacy to complete waste. If I remember correctly, there was even supposed to be that one female kobold PC which was meant for negotiating (the one that killed my elf in your version of the game...), which never made an appearance. Like I said a while before, I hate modules due to the lack of roleplaying, especially in Core only games, because rogues are the only core class I like.

Kris Strife
2009-03-16, 12:23 AM
Vampiric Jehovah's Witness Kobold

Druid Half Iron Golem Kobold

Mormon Warforged

newbDM
2009-03-16, 12:39 AM
Vampiric Jehovah's Witness Kobold

Oooooh!

I am not sure why exactly he should be a vampire, but the Jehovah's Witness Kobold has captured my attention. :smallbiggrin:

I am picturing an "enlightened" kobold going door to door in each village he visits saying "Hello, my name is Kuramate. May I have a moment of your time to speak to you about a very important subject? Have you heard the life changing word of xxxxx?". And I can just see him trying to convert the BBEG and his henchmen.

I am thinking of the preachy monstrous character from the show Andromeda for inspiration.

What deity do you think would fit for a Jehovah's Witness like character? :smallbiggrin:

Kris Strife
2009-03-16, 12:48 AM
The vampiric part is becaure Jehovah's witnesses think blood transfusions are immoral and because the only time they dont knock on the door is at night. :p

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-16, 12:54 AM
... Jehovah's witnesses think blood transfusions are immoral...

Okay, I fail to see the reasoning behind that. It's not like the donated blood is a permanent loss from the donor.

Animefunkmaster
2009-03-16, 12:54 AM
I had a character concept for a changling who lived with his family undercover in a kobold village. The parents always looked like kobolds and the changling baby spontaneously took the form of other kobolds and stayed that way. The parents were on the run from *insert plot point here* and took refuge in the village, no one knew that they were changling.

The child grew up and found his place in the community lacking, he wasn't a sorcerer and therefore on the low end of the totem pole but he was fairly gifted with *insert whatever you like here that isn't disguise related... possibly psionics* and he often used that ability to trick people into thinking he had a deeper connection to the dragons.

He had felt very little love as a child and with his biological parents dead he is trying to make something of himself with the clutch. He has a bitter rivalry with the klutch's star, a kobold by the name of *whatever you like*, a sorcerer who has gone through the draconic right of passage. The battles you and he have are legendary, even though they are only in your imagination (and you always win).

Everything was moving in the same direction when *something unexpected* happened and changed the changling's world as he knew it. Now he is learning about his real heritage, on the run from the people tracking down the parents, trying to decide if he is a real kobold or not (if he wants to live like that) and how to handle his rivalry (I was thinking mindseed + fusion, or true mind switch, but that's just me ^_^)

Dixieboy
2009-03-16, 12:55 AM
What deity do you think would fit for a Jehovah's Witness like character? :smallbiggrin:
Cyric, or Ao, course you'd have to rename him Auou or something like that

(Only really well versed in Ebberon and Forgotten realms seeting :smallfrown: )

_Zoot_
2009-03-16, 01:11 AM
if that isn't allowed you can get a cheap hommunculus called a packmate (a walking chest). trap individual compartments of it, and mentally order the box to open those compartments at your jurisdiction.

What book is this from? that sounds really cool!

Zaq
2009-03-16, 01:13 AM
Changeling Factotum Chameleon. He's every character. :smallbiggrin:

I actually played a Binder Incarnate Chameleon a couple months ago. Unlike a Factotum, who's simply good (or at least decent) at everything, this character actually changed who he was and what he could do every day. He had some people convinced he was a cleric, some people convinced he was an archer of some sort, some people convinced he was nuts... he was a good time. (He also had a bag of hats, and he put on a different one every day depending on his role.)

mrmaxmrmax
2009-03-16, 08:48 PM
In character I even repeated screamed out "STOP!!!! NO SHOOT BABIES!!!".

Who exactly shot at you? Were the babies shooting at you when the ranger returned fire? Did the ranger target the assialants or the babies? When you tried to stop the ranger from shooting the babies, did you first attempt to disable him or was it strictly attacking?

As a note, in this particular module, once left alone, that group of kobolds flees the dungeon because they feel Tazex no longer offers them protection.

And again, they were both joking about stomping on the unborn/hatched babies, and making the children stew.

I've seen your house rule teddy bear. Perhaps you thought they were all talking in character. Stereotypes in role-playing are there for a reason. Most kobolds are lawful evil. Is it possible the other players were mostly interested in devouring the evil of the game world for the greater good?

Aside from the no evil games/character part, I also left the campaign because the game is somewhat erratic. Practically everyone is CN (although one is actually playing "Chaotic Evil Lite"), and there is no leader figure. No one is even trying to coordinate the group, or get them to work together.

Why should they? "Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society’s restrictions and a do-gooder’s zeal." If they are not trying to coordinate the group, it is because they are acting within their alignment. Just out of curiosity, what alignment were you playing?

If you wanted a leader figure, why didn't you all discuss that at start-up? Why didn't you rise to the post of leader? Why didn't you get everyone to work together? Telling everyone how they are playing their characters wrong isn't the leadership I am talking about.

The default leader (Stephen) even said that he does not want the role of leader at all, and he wasn't there to boot.

The default leader? I assume you must mean that because he was playing a Cleric, he should automatically be a leader. You are thinking of 4th Edition, newbDM. Simple mistake.

With a group of seven players/PCs, this is especially bad. The game was basically a mess, so I can see if they were not listing to me at all multiple times.

This thread is continuing on around us without any regard of what we are saying, so I can only ask that for the interested readers (me), what were they not listening to? What type of character were you playing? A strong leader who leads by example? A force ton the front line of every battlefield? A member eager to keep the party safe from traps?

Is it possible that no one was listening to you because you had killed two PCs that session?

Not playing in a game because it has gotten too large is perfectly understandable. But that ranger you killed: his player wants you to come back. Perhaps you can be that leader the group so badly needs?

And they were not "cornered" in the least. I'd love to hear who said that. I put myself against a wall, with my hands up, and letting them fire two rounds at me without retaliating. I was not a threat at all, and was actually trying to negotiate with them to help them.

By cornered, I only mean that there was no where for them to move except to pass you. I'm not talking cornered like a cat lashing out as a last resort. I know this module like the back of my hand; I poured over it for months so that I could provide the best experience for all players at the table.

Could you expand on how you were trying to help them? What were you saying to them? Were you offering them safe passage? If I remember, the only thing that would make them attack was someone approaching too closely.

Peter just did not get into any type of roleplaying, hence putting my ranks in Bluff and Diplomacy to complete waste. If I remember correctly, there was even supposed to be that one female kobold PC which was meant for negotiating (the one that killed my elf in your version of the game...), which never made an appearance.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't name names here.

The female kobold that killed your previous character brings back memories. I had a beautiful fight lined up in that room and eight PCs who were up for the challenge. Then, as the fight broke out, you went back into the room that female kobold was in. When the kobold attackers got their first turn, they managed a critical hit with an enlarged spear to kill the character of the exact same character you killed. That's the way dice fall, I suppose, so the rest of the party, now down two men, was nearly wiped out.

Ah, memories. We go way back.

Like I said a while before, I hate modules due to the lack of roleplaying, especially in Core only games, because rogues are the only core class I like.

I recommend you try another class. There are plenty of classes in the PHB that you haven't player or given a chance to, I'll bet. I've seen you play a sorcerer and a rogue; I'd be willing to bet you've tried a wizard and a druid and a cleric. Why not try a martial class?

On that note, I hear you might be starting up a game. I'd love to play in it if you'd allow that. I know you wouldn't be running from a module, but I wouldn't mind that.

Maxwell.

Elminster1
2009-03-16, 09:32 PM
A very memorable character of mine was an Asimar Cleric of Tymora with the Luck and Destiny Domains. He was heralded as as some sort of religious birthmark, being found on the steps of a Tymoran Temple during one the Goddesses festivals. As he gew he became a religious scholar, particuarly prophecy. The idea was supposed to be a character whos slowly found out his true origins as a Celestial being through faith, exploration, devotion and seeking knowledge, as well as visionary quests.

I played another chaarcter in the same campaign as well, She was a young human female Diviner, raised by a secluded Elven enclave. I was going to tie her in with my Tymoran Cleric, since she had a thirst for lost secrets. But, as time progressed, I gave her stronger religious knowledge, and was planning on her converting to the Tymoran Faith, then either become a Divine Oracle or Wonderworker (Exalted Deeds book). I kinda liked Wonderworker a bit more flavor-wise since I wanted her to become a somewhat religious mystic for Tymora. Very cool.

In a few weeks, were playing some evil based campaign. Not ideal for me, since Im not really into playing evil characters, but, Im bored and wanna play. So, I decided on a concept of a Wizard who wants to indulge his every whim, be manipulative and somewhat paranoid, as well as more and more controlling as the game progresses. I coudlnt find any wizard oriented PRCLasses to shoot for I actually liked flavor wise. My one idea as Focused Specialist Transmuter with the Otherworldy feat for outrageous transformations as a combat feature got shot down. Ugh. So, now hes written as a Doman (Transmutation) wizard. Oh and all the characters have to be human....kinda bland for me. So, its going to have to be all personality with this fella.

I always thought the idea of a wandering mystic obsessed with ancient knowledge who gained access to all kinds of lore from aeons ago, who could become involved in the ruins of Netheril would be a cool concept. I also liked the idea of a truly good wizard, who became Exalted and created his own Realm throught the Genesis spell would be sweet, with a flying castle and all.

Atsu333
2009-03-16, 09:42 PM
one word. Jumplomancer http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=943738

If that's too high level to start with, you can always be Captain Falcon

-Warforged Graft Arm(with Battlefist, enchanted with fiery burst, or take a monk special feat)
-lvls in monk(I only had about 6 when I used him)
-Feats including:Flying Kick, Fiery fist(or you can do the fiery enchant)
-And of course, a Hat of Disguise, so he can look like captain falcon
-(a monk's belt never hurt)

the only thing that bothers me about it is that he can flurry falcon punches and his falcon kick does more damage.

Thurbane
2009-03-16, 09:47 PM
1/2 Ogre Barbarian/Fighter(Dungeoncrasher variant) with the God Blooded (Kord) template and the DMG II Prodigy:Strength trait.

The best darn door opener in the world. :smallbiggrin:

Graymayre
2009-03-16, 09:49 PM
Something like this would be insanely epic.
across the fog-drenched street, you make out the visage of a slim set kobold. smoke wafts out of his corncob pipe as he bends down to investigate the body of a recently murdered commoner. He turns to a large, imposing warforged next to him.

"What do you make of these puncture marks Botson?" He queries.

the warforged stares down at the body and delivers a monotone diagnoses "I should say Lock-Lock, this damage does not come from weapons I know of, perhaps they were done by teeth?"

Lock-Lock shakes his head, realigning the deerskin cap that layed perched on top of it. "Your intentions are good my dear Botson but you've missed everything of importance."
Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-16, 10:05 PM
Oh man. Awesome idea I can never use(it requires an all-warforged campaign). Warforged were created to be the ultimate warriors. Stronger, tougher, and with none of the weaknesses of mortal humans, they have been fielded on the battlefield to great success. But there is something missing. Warforged fight, but there is something absent, somthing that allows humanoids to go beyond their limits, something basic. Music changes that. When song rings out over the battlefield, Warforged find something worth fighting for, something that allows them to go beyond anything previously thought possible. Yes, a Warforged Bard. An accident of the generator, he is mentally damaged(Int and Wis are lowest), but when it was discovered that his voice causes all Warforged to be better warriors, his creator allowed him to live, and in freedom, he travels, spreading the touch of music to all Warforged he can find.

monty
2009-03-16, 10:13 PM
Oh man. Awesome idea I can never use(it requires an all-warforged campaign). Warforged were created to be the ultimate warriors. Stronger, tougher, and with none of the weaknesses of mortal humans, they have been fielded on the battlefield to great success. But there is something missing. Warforged fight, but there is something absent, somthing that allows humanoids to go beyond their limits, something basic. Music changes that. When song rings out over the battlefield, Warforged find something worth fighting for, something that allows them to go beyond anything previously thought possible. Yes, a Warforged Bard. An accident of the generator, he is mentally damaged(Int and Wis are lowest), but when it was discovered that his voice causes all Warforged to be better warriors, his creator allowed him to live, and in freedom, he travels, spreading the touch of music to all Warforged he can find.

Give the Warforged a female-shaped body, and call yourself Iron Maiden.

Zaq
2009-03-16, 10:18 PM

Dude, a warforged bard would be so metal.

I regret nothing!

wizuriel
2009-03-16, 10:22 PM
A kobold with the Trapmaker Trapsmith Trapmaster Prestige class!

General plan should be:
1. Trap a box
2. point the opening at someone
3. open
4. ?????
5. Profit!

what book is the trapmaster in?

Kobold_Love
2009-03-16, 10:38 PM
What about a human fighter with the obese flaw (from Dragon magazine), who acts as a comedy support character, and who's catchphrase whenever questioned is "I know NOTHING!".

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-03-16, 10:44 PM
What was that flaw like?

Dogmantra
2009-03-17, 05:56 AM
I don't have the book, but it sounds like warforged can have INT scores.

If so, a Warforged Wizard who suffers from depression and always seems to think that no-one likes talking to him. Low CHA, but a brain the size of a planet.

His name? Marvin.

Myou
2009-03-17, 06:09 AM
How can one be a frenzied pacifist?

The concept is disturbing and hilarious

He loves and cares for all living things so much that it drives him into an insane rage wherein he must viciously smash anything that moves.

It's just his way of showing love. ^^

Cheesegear
2009-03-17, 07:04 AM
Wizard, specialising in Pinball.

monty
2009-03-17, 09:14 AM
Wizard, specialising in Pinball.

I'm actually working on a character that might fit that concept for an upcoming campaign, except it's a Hulking Hurler/Bloodstorm Blade. Pick up whatever's handy (as long as it's no more than a light load) and ricochet it all over the battlefield - rocks, spare equipment, party members...

Thurbane
2009-03-17, 05:27 PM
Another character concept:

Bard 4/Barbarian 2/Reaping Mauler...professional wrestler! Perform (Oratory) to taunt the opponents! :smallbiggrin:

Jarrick
2009-03-18, 11:09 PM
He loves and cares for all living things so much that it drives him into an insane rage wherein he must viciously smash anything that moves.

It's just his way of showing love. ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ELRZ08hNaU

Jarrick
2009-03-18, 11:29 PM
Changeling beguiler. In a recent short-lived campaign, this char solo'd a fortress overrun with Gnolls, rescued the mayors daughter from the dungeon, and walked out the front gate with her while neither raising an alarm nor taking a single life.

Barbarian/bard- PCs always get a kick out of heckling the opera singer bard... Unless you work out his intro with the DM involving the 220lb tenor making mush out of a pair of orc hecklers with a big hammer.

A necromancer who naively attempts to do ill thought out good deeds with the undead he creates. (example: babysitter, store clerk, farmhand [those poor cows...], grave digger, etc.)

A very kind and generous cancer mage (here, begger, use my cloak to keep warm)

Kobold dragon shaman with the entangling breath feat (hwwck - pthew!)

And one I'm tossing around- Myconid, as a class (custom). There's just something inherently funny about a big, walking, silent, potion-making, spore-spreading humanoid mushroom.