PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Protection from Mind Blast?

Ent
2009-03-15, 04:45 PM
What can protect a creature from a Mind Flayer's Mind Blast in core 3.5?

Does Protection from Evil (Chaos/Law/Good) only block a Mind Flayer's Charm Monster and Suggestion?

Dhavaer
2009-03-15, 07:49 PM
The Slayer prestige class, I think.

Gorbash
2009-03-15, 07:54 PM
Mind Blank.

Ilithid Slayer isn't core, though.

Assassin89
2009-03-15, 07:55 PM
Protection from Evil(Chaos/Law/Good) gives a +2 resistance bonus to saves against evil creatures, if the mind blast requires a save to negate damage, it might help, but not protect.

Lycanthromancer
2009-03-15, 08:18 PM
Mind Blank.

Ilithid Slayer isn't core, though.

Illithid blast isn't mind-affecting.

Immunity to stunning or the Illithid/Slayer PrC would do it. As would immunity to 4th-level-or-lower spells. An AMF. 100% cover. Nothing else does.

That's not to say that you can't prevent being subject to it in the first place. Illusions, distance, befriending them, hiding from them...

CthulhuM
2009-03-15, 08:40 PM
Polymorph into a plant creature, or use the 5th level druid spell plant body. Either would make you immune to stunning. For higher level options, anything that turns you into a plant, elemental, undead or construct (or gives you their immunities like Iron Body) would work.

If you wanted permanent immunity, you would have to permanently become one of those types, either via polymorph any object, or something like undergoing the ritual to become a necropolitan.

The protection spells would suppress charm (but not suggestion, since it isn't "ongoing control") for their duration. They would not remove the spells or make the creature immune to them.

Tehnar
2009-03-16, 03:57 AM
You could use protection from spells. As it says it affects spell like abilities as well, and mind blast is treated as a 4th level spell like ability it would work.

A protection from X suppresses the effect of a charm monster spell. You would still need to save, and would be affected by the effects if protection from X got dispelled or removed. As for protection from suggestion I would say no, it doesnt help (except as a bonus to saves), but am not sure on that one.

CthulhuM
2009-03-16, 04:38 AM
You could use protection from spells. As it says it affects spell like abilities as well, and mind blast is treated as a 4th level spell like ability it would work.

Mind blast isn't "ongoing control" though. It's just a stun. So Protection from X n is irrelevant to it.

Tehnar
2009-03-16, 06:04 AM
Ahh curse me for a fool, I was thinking of spell immunity. Basically gives you unbeatable spell resistance against certain specified spells or spell like abilities.

Protection from spells would help, as it gives a +8 bonus to saves vs spells, but its a 8 level spell.

Person_Man
2009-03-16, 09:36 AM
There's s feat in Lords of Madness that makes you immune. I forget the name unfortunately.

Ent
2009-03-16, 11:06 AM
There's s feat in Lords of Madness that makes you immune. I forget the name unfortunately.

Were you thinking of Quick Recovery?

It's not immunity, but looking at it, it is a pretty solid defensive feat.