PDA

View Full Version : earphones

gabado
2009-03-15, 11:11 PM
i desperately need some reasonably priced earbuds. what do you recommend for just casual listening? no busted eardrums please.

any help would be much appreciated.

Innis Cabal
2009-03-15, 11:15 PM
Get traditional headphones, the earbuds have lower quaility sound compared to traditional headphones.

xPANCAKEx
2009-03-15, 11:20 PM
Etymotic 6i

ran about 50quid at the time i got them - when im on the tube, i hear JUST my music as they operate on the closed canal principal... no longer any need make my ears bleed to hear the music properly, i can get clarity at low levels

depends how much you wanna lash out - i can make more high end suggestions, but they will run you a lot more

revolver kobold
2009-03-15, 11:59 PM
I've got a pair of Seinheisser headphones that set me back about $60 AUS, they have decent sound quality, and are rather comfortable too.

Seconding the idea behind getting headphones and not ear-buds. Better sound quality, and they are healthier for your hearing too.

Matar
2009-03-16, 12:52 AM
I really suggest the Seinheisser CX300. Can't hear shi-... anything and they sound incredible.

The cord takes a bit of getting used to, but they are still great. Sound better then quite a few of the over-the-ear headphones.

SDF
2009-03-16, 05:15 AM
Get traditional headphones, the earbuds have lower quaility sound compared to traditional headphones.

That is blatantly false. The dynamic range is where you are going to find an aural difference in sound quality, and you can get in-ear buds that have the full range a human can hear. (most brands should offer 20 Hz to 20 kHz) You can also find on ear headphones that severely lack in that department, the reverse is also true. You can purchase canal buds (looks like regular buds with an extra "bulb" that goes into the ear) for a fair amount less than most on ear headphones and you won't need to blast the volume with those. Also, they will work better in the sound quality department than most on ear headphones because there won't be any sound bleeding. They basically double as ear plugs. If you want on ear headphones I would suggest getting an isolation headset, they tend to be around ear and won't have sound bleeding either, but they cost more.

Skullcandy offers decent in-ear buds from about $15 to $100 depending on what you want. I use Sennheiser isolation headphones for recording, but when listening to my ipod I prefer in-ear canal headphones.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-03-16, 02:57 PM
This video contains the information you seek. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlxLBwE0ws)

gabado
2009-03-18, 08:37 PM

i would prefer to be able to fit the head set in my pocket.

revolver kobold
2009-03-18, 08:44 PM
Its possible to buy folding headsets that can pack down quite small, or the type that clip over the ears rather than having a band that wraps around your head.

JaxGaret
2009-03-18, 09:06 PM
I've tried a lot of mid-range earbuds, I find them to be much more comfortable than cans (over-the-ear headphones) or IEMs (canalphones).

The best bang-for-the-buck by far has been the Yuin PK3s. They sound really, really clear and good. I can't recommend them more, and the price is very fair for the quality - only $40.

Graybacca
2009-03-18, 09:51 PM
the Best set of ear buds I've used and use now is the Philips Virtual Surround Sound In-Ear Headphones since i discovered these i bout a second pair so i have one each for my two I-pods

Product code| SHE5910
Specs:
Frequency Range | 16 - 22000 Hz
Sensitivity |106 dB
impedance | 16 Ohm
Maximum Power input | 50 mW
Price| $23.99

Moff Chumley
2009-03-18, 11:09 PM
I had a pair of Skullcandies. They fold up really small, and are fairly isolating. They sounded AMAZING, I can't recommend them highly enough. I'm going to buy some more as soon as I have the dough (just bought an iPod after my old iPod & headphones got stolen)

sheepofoblivion
2009-03-19, 11:07 PM
I got a pair of Gummy headphones. Despite the unappetizing name, it's not squishy, for small children, or badly coloured at all. A plain black set of earbuds which have decent quality and size for only 10 dollars at your local best buy (in the US at least...) I can't complain about them. They're great.

Hell Puppi
2009-03-19, 11:23 PM
I like the skullcandies. Really durable and don't slide out of my ears, even when jogging. Also got them for $15, which helps.

thubby
2009-03-20, 01:41 AM
the only earphones I've ever had luck with are 20 dollars or lower, it's just a matter of buying them until you find a pair that doesn't suck.

DraPrime
2009-03-20, 05:38 PM
I'd have to say that Skullcandies are bad, despite what others have said. In my experience they break really easily. I went through 10 of them before I just got something made by Sony that has faithfully stayed alive for the last 2 months.