PDA

View Full Version : favourite race to roleplay

xPANCAKEx
2009-03-15, 11:17 PM
title says it all: who are your favourite race to roleplay

this is strictly on the fluff here - no talk of "but they have a +4LA whinge whine wah sub-optimal blah blah blah i can't min/max with them boo-bloody-hoo"

none of it

strictly, in terms of fluff/character, who are your favourite race to play

RTGoodman
2009-03-15, 11:28 PM
I LOVE goliaths. I like to really play up the competitiveness of their race in battle against the enemy and out-of-battle by keeping records of his victories (fangs, claws, scratches on his shield/weapon haft, etc.). I like playing Dwarves with the stereotypical gruffness and dwarfyness, too, especially in groups that have or have had non-traditional dwarf characters.

I think I'd also have fun playing up the combination of naivete and military upbringing of a Warforged, but I've yet to find a game where I'd actually like to play one. One of my favorite "roleplaying suggestions" or whatever from an actual WotC book is from either the ECS or Races of Eberron where it talks about a Warforged describing children playing outside as a "squad of cadets skirmishing in the courtyard" or something like that. :smalltongue:

Dixieboy
2009-03-15, 11:29 PM
D&D i assume since you mention LA?

I would like to try Tiefling, the concept of the awkward kid who, while somewhat of a wild child and a trouble maker is good at heart, realizing his father/mother is a spawn of pure evil and having to deal or embrace that is intriguing.

But of what i've tried?
Human, Halfling or Gnome.

I play Halflings like Hobbits BTW :smallredface:

But most of the time the race is irrelevant, and people have different interpretations of them too.

I used play an Elf like the Danish "Ellefolk" ("Elven people" directly translated) which got me into some trouble the first time i played with foreigners through le interwebs.
Apperantly Elves are Lawful Neutral the whole lot of them with giant sticks in their behinds and Racial Bigotry rivaling the KKK. (The DM was one of those people who pretty much had it so that a Dwarf was a Dwarf, and an Elf an Elf, only humans had diverse personalities, only played with them for a short time but fun still)

The Neoclassic
2009-03-15, 11:34 PM
Gnomes. No question about it. I like a slightly steampunk take on them (nothing too crazy though). They're just... fun.

Revanmal
2009-03-15, 11:41 PM
Thri-Kreen, because I enjoy making random clicking sounds when I talk to simulate mandibles snapping. :smalltongue:

I usually roleplay them as they're presented in the 2nd edition book "Thri-Kreen of Athas": They're honorable, if savage people, whose lives revolve around 2 things - the hunt, and the clutch. Loyal in an almost dog-like fashion and friendly to allies, distant and courteous to strangers, and absolute plagues upon an enemy.

It's also fun when confronted by social situations that a Thri-Kreen has no business being involved in, since they're so alien to most humanoids. The fact that they're well known for eating civilized races and especially love Elven flesh makes them even more fun when said social interactions take place in an Elven palace and you're eyeing the Princess very disturbingly.

Dixieboy
2009-03-15, 11:48 PM
It's also fun when confronted by social situations that a Thri-Kreen has no business being involved in, since they're so alien to most humanoids. The fact that they're well known for eating civilized races and especially love Elven flesh makes them even more fun when said social interactions take place in an Elven palace and you're eyeing the Princess very disturbingly.
While that is indeed cool the little thing called "logic" kicks in.

You think Elves would let something that savors the taste of their flesh inside their very stronghold without atleast restraining it?

But really, screw logic, that is epically awesome

Starscream
2009-03-15, 11:49 PM
I love halflings. Of all the characters I've played over the years, about half have been halflings, and they are almost always the greatest.

Since reading Races of the Wild, I really like the idea that their chief deity has an alternate Chaotic Neutral identity, Dallah Thaun. It allows halflings to truthfully say they worship the Lawful Good Yondalla, while behaving in as larcenous a manner as they please, and adds a new dimension to their culture.

Revanmal
2009-03-15, 11:54 PM
While that is indeed cool the little thing called "logic" kicks in.

You think Elves would let something that savors the taste of their flesh inside their very stronghold without atleast restraining it?

But really, screw logic, that is epically awesome

Perhaps "well known" is a bit strong. :smalltongue: They're known for occasionally eating civilized races, not necessarily gorging themselves on them. They're normally quite well behaved in cities, as they see towns as what amounts to one gigantic clutch. The whole eating sentient people thing is more like how elves are snooty jerks and half-orcs are always big, dumb, violent brutes - not as true as people think.

Fortinbras
2009-03-15, 11:56 PM
I like playing dwarves. I love doing acents and coming up with complex family ties for them. Right now I have a more or less prototypical dwarf fighter, his sister, a wizard and their cousin, a cleric of Kord.

Dixieboy
2009-03-16, 01:25 AM
Perhaps "well known" is a bit strong. :smalltongue: They're known for occasionally eating civilized races, not necessarily gorging themselves on them. They're normally quite well behaved in cities, as they see towns as what amounts to one gigantic clutch. The whole eating sentient people thing is more like how elves are snooty jerks and half-orcs are always big, dumb, violent brutes - not as true as people think.
Well with a 4 point penalty to intelligence most Half-orcs do tend to be very dumb, but i agree with you. I must read up on this thri-keen race, it is in Unapproacheable east i seem to recall, is this true?

derfenrirwolv
2009-03-16, 01:56 AM
Kobolds

The quintessential underdog, having to fight from the bottom of the heap just to get respect, much less WIN. I had a kobold sorcerer that dressed in livery and acted as another party members man servant. He usually got ignored during the first round of combat, but by then it was too late to avoid death by innervate...

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-16, 02:08 AM
I'd pick 2 races I homebrewed, namly Vulpines, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95436 (which I designed as my ideal race) and Fenneckin ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104140 ) because I enjoy playing naive characters. (Here's a picture of both the races which Ninja Muffin drew: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2232/racesal4.jpg . Apart from the Vulpine's hand being too big, I consider both of the pictures to be excellent).

skywalker
2009-03-16, 02:10 AM
I like elves and half-elves.

I think because the half-elf is something of a blank canvas, I can play it a little human and a lot elf or a little elf and a lot human. They have a lot of personalities you can throw on them without people going "huh?"

Plus, I like the idea of being beautiful, smart, and living forever.

Elves FTW.

Skaven
2009-03-16, 02:19 AM
Kobolds for sure.

MustacheFart
2009-03-16, 04:17 AM
My favorite race to play, at least of the ones I've played, is: Orc. I don't mind being the Gruff, violent, bloodthirsty wreckin' machine in combat and Half-Orc just isn't Orc enough for me.

Usually, I end up annoying the hell out of everyone at the table whenever I play an Orc because of what I like do with them...and...really that's only two things.

First, I like to give the "rite of the spears" to EVERY strong opponent I defeat in battle. In a high-level campaign that is pretty much EVERYTHING and EVERYONE lol.

Second, any time I come across a "former" settlement or especially valuable (in my eyes) piece of land whose previous occupants either abandoned willfully or were forced to (If you catch my drift :smallwink:), I claim it in the name of Gruumsh! I do this by first initiating the Rite of the Spears on anyone I had to get rid of and then building an Orcish Fort in the name of Gruumsh!

I remember one time in a game we came across a nice island that was literally abandoned. I wouldn't leave until I had chopped down enough trees and constructed a worth fort to Gruumsh. The party wasn't happy of course and the DM asked what I was going to chop the trees down with. I told him either my trusty falchion or I'll rip em' out. The party couldn't leave without me because well, I owned the boat and I was also the main/only melee dps/tank. That said, three+ months later I had constructed a fort. Then the druid in the party destroyed the fort when I was off getting some more wood, thinking it would be funny.

I caught him just as he finished doing it, charged at him, destroyed him, and then...the best part...I initiated the Rite of the Spears on him.

The real funny part was he could have just left my fort alone, it would have blown away and/or fallen apart shortly anyway. I purposely played the character were he couldn't build anything of any actual value no matter what. I envisioned his "forts" looking like an 8 years first play fort made out of sticks and logs. Of course to my Orc, each of his forts were masterpieces made perfectly for Gruumsh and I had made a lot of them!

Come to think of it, I've also annoyed a lot of people because of my nasty habit of knocking on a door and then kicking it in, just as it's being opened. What? My Orcs don't have patience. :smallbiggrin:

Theodoriph
2009-03-16, 04:20 AM
I don't think I have a favourite race.

My favourite character to play was a Minotaur who was a King...well...if you consider someone a King...after they kill a couple of farmers, seize their land and proceed to rule over their cattle. He certainly did! :smalltongue:

arguskos
2009-03-16, 04:23 AM
Dvati (Dragon Compendium). I just love the shenannnnnnnnnnigans that you can perform with two bodies. I've played the "brigand on a road" (using my identical appearance and my Spell Thematics feat) to suddenly shift from one side of the road to the other, with no indication of how I did it (other than a puff of smoke) to bluff my "great magics" and get lots of money. I've played the "high inquisitor requisitioning supplies" (using disguise checks and armor, along with some forged documents and intimidate checks). Anything that you normally need two people for, I've done with a dvati, and enjoyed it all the while.

BlueWizard
2009-03-16, 04:27 AM
Apperantly Elves are Lawful Neutral the whole lot of them with giant sticks in their behinds and Racial Bigotry rivaling the KKK. (The DM was one of those people who pretty much had it so that a Dwarf was a Dwarf, and an Elf an Elf, only humans had diverse personalities

Lame DM.

My favorite race to play.... wait for it....

HUMANS!

If forced, I'd probably pick an elf of the non-humans.

Shademan
2009-03-16, 05:08 AM
all races are fun :D

Narmoth
2009-03-16, 05:12 AM
In campaigns set in generic medieval human kingdoms, where all the other players are half-dragons and half-fiends, I like to play human

Shademan
2009-03-16, 05:21 AM
In campaigns set in generic medieval human kingdoms, where all the other players are half-dragons and half-fiends, I like to play human

was that a reference to our group...?

Myou
2009-03-16, 05:23 AM
Of the PHB races I like Humans and Elves, from my custom campaign races I like Humans, Elves, Aasimar, Centaurs, Merfolk and Naga. :3

I don't like midget races, or halfbreeds, I prefer races that are exotic humans (elves, aasimar) or part human part animal (centaurs, merfolk, naga).

Paramour Pink
2009-03-16, 05:59 AM
Aasimars rox. Looking kwel, and having destiny served on a silver plater with the option of rejecting it? Yes plz. :smallsmile:

Revanmal
2009-03-16, 07:58 AM
Well with a 4 point penalty to intelligence most Half-orcs do tend to be very dumb, but i agree with you. I must read up on this thri-keen race, it is in Unapproacheable east i seem to recall, is this true?

Wikipedia sites the following sources:

Shining South (3.5E), Expanded Psionics Handbook, 3E Monster Manual 2, Savage Species, Forgotten Realms (MC3), 1E Monster Manual 2, Terrors Beyond Tyr, Dragon#167, and Monstrous Manual.

Evil the Cat
2009-03-16, 08:40 AM
I'd Generally have to go with dwarf. I tend to stay in general range of the stereotypes too. One of my favorites was a dwarven paladin who was considered "not very nice" by almost everyone he met. "Yes, yes, I'll save your stupid town, its not like I'd expect you to be able to take care of yourselves the way dwarves can." "Yes, you're pathetic, I understand, just tell me where the monster is already." When asked why he didn't stay at home with the dwarves "where he was obviously so much happier" he answered, "Dwarves are tough, and well organized, they don't need my help nearly as much as you weaker races do." It was such a blast.

Fortinbras
2009-03-16, 11:28 AM
I'd Generally have to go with dwarf. I tend to stay in general range of the stereotypes too. One of my favorites was a dwarven paladin who was considered "not very nice" by almost everyone he met. "Yes, yes, I'll save your stupid town, its not like I'd expect you to be able to take care of yourselves the way dwarves can." "Yes, you're pathetic, I understand, just tell me where the monster is already." When asked why he didn't stay at home with the dwarves "where he was obviously so much happier" he answered, "Dwarves are tough, and well organized, they don't need my help nearly as much as you weaker races do." It was such a blast.

That does sound like fun, I'll have to try it some time.

Valentyne
2009-03-16, 12:16 PM
KENDER FTW!

Few races tend to get the same reaction from other players as a kender. Other than them I have to go with Halflings or Gnomes played as wandabe kender....

Dienekes
2009-03-16, 12:28 PM
Well, I'm always stuck as GM so I haven't been able to develop a favorite race really.

The one's I like to NPC most are dwarves and humans though. Dwarves because I enjoy giving them the stereotypical Scottish accent and talking lower and so forth. Humans I like because I really see them as able to be anything. I even like doing the Orcs and half-orcs giving them an almost Tuco (The Ugly from The Good the Bad and the Ugly) like predatory intelligence even if they're not really book smart.

The ones I do not like doing are Elves and the upper Fey in general. Partially this is from LotR and Eragon and other fantasies. I detest Mary-Sue's and elves have been portrayed as an entire race full of them (though this title is now passing to vampires). They're older, wiser, can have the best enchantments, live forever, make pretty weapons, are angst-ily dwindling and all they're doing about it is saying "Oh well I guess it's our time, but we won't actually help you fix the world before we leave. No this is your fight, we'll just pop up randomly to show you how wise and mysterious we are while giving no real benefits. Good luck champ."

Darkfalle
2009-03-16, 12:34 PM
Usually I've played half elves as my preferred race, I've always liked the idea of playing a character that exists "between worlds" as it were. That said, I usually end up playing a human just to be the "normal one" in the party. I prefer for my character to be interesting based on how they're role played/their personality rather than as a result of their race. I mean, when your party consists of a drow assassin, a kitsune (homebrewed) bard, and an NPC centaur ranger, the human fighter sorta becomes the special one by lack of being special.

krossbow
2009-03-16, 12:39 PM
I love playing half orcs like they're brian blessed.

Hell, in most of the campaigns i've played orcs in general tend to morph into either brian blessed or warhammer orcs.

Dragonsdoom
2009-03-16, 12:57 PM
Races? My favorite would probably have to be Halflings, with Tibbits and Doppelgangers coming in near the top. Phasms are insane fun to play as well, although the last two are nearly impossible for me to play mechanics wise on the player side of the table.

I have a exceedingly good time playing any form of gentlemen thief, spy, or military intelligence officer as well, and I sometimes will play the rogue type in a party for the sole reason that hardly anyone does rogues properly.
I also think that although I probably will never play Forgotten Realms I would jump at the chance to play a Kender, specifically the kind that is not a huge pain the in the butt and tries to steal everyone's pants, instead the kind that is overtly curious and gets into trouble in a not-killing-the-entire-party way.

Thajocoth
2009-03-16, 12:59 PM
Not repeating too much... And the less human the better.

Humans are too normal to me. I like to be whatever's as weird as possible... And, after already being a particular race, it's less weird to be that race again in the future. You know what I mean?

JMobius
2009-03-16, 01:02 PM
I like to play as 'paragons of humanity'. Aasimar or Elans are my thing.

Dixieboy
2009-03-16, 01:06 PM
Wikipedia sites the following sources:

Shining South (3.5E), Expanded Psionics Handbook, 3E Monster Manual 2, Savage Species, Forgotten Realms (MC3), 1E Monster Manual 2, Terrors Beyond Tyr, Dragon#167, and Monstrous Manual.
I could kiss you right now, if not for the fact that you probably wouldn't appreciate it and i would have a hard time reaching :smallbiggrin:

I like to play as 'paragons of humanity'. Aasimar or Elans are my thing.
Elan as in Low-int-high-cha, or is this a race i do not know about? :smallconfused:

RTGoodman
2009-03-16, 01:17 PM
Elan as in Low-int-high-cha, or is this a race i do not know about? :smallconfused:

A race you don't know about, apparently. :smallwink:

Elans are a psionic race that were originally human but, individually, took part in a ritual that, while it eliminated all of their past memories and things like that, offered immortality. You can read about them in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, and see the stats for them HERE (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm). A pretty cool race, in general, though I've never played one.

notagain111
2009-03-16, 01:20 PM
I've always been fond of the aasimar and throwing together obscure mixed races. I enjoy the concept of celestial blood and being some obscure non-standard race. Half elf, half orc anyone? :D

Dixieboy
2009-03-16, 01:27 PM
A race you don't know about, apparently. :smallwink:

Elans are a psionic race that were originally human but, individually, took part in a ritual that, while it eliminated all of their past memories and things like that, offered immortality. You can read about them in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, and see the stats for them HERE (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm). A pretty cool race, in general, though I've never played one.

Thank you for the info, seems i need to study my books a bit closer and not skip such things, it seems interesting indeed :smallamused:

JMobius
2009-03-16, 01:27 PM

Elans are a race from the Expanded Psionics Handbook. They're humans that have been psychically 'modified', becoming more purely mental beings than biological.

Whoops. Server instability = ninjaed.

Egiam
2009-03-16, 03:15 PM
I like variation, but have had the most fun with dwarves. ("What you laughin' at me laddie! I swear on Moradins good beard that me armor fit yestermorn!" "If I had a bigger hammer, you'd be sorry!")

Curmudgeon
2009-03-16, 03:37 PM
strictly, in terms of fluff/character, who are your favourite race to play I pretty much just play "human-like" races, including half-elves and elves. The other aspects of role-playing are sufficiently challenging that trying to also think like some different species is just not satisfying.

no talk of "but they have a +4LA ... blah blah blah" Beyond that, I basically treat the races as identical for role-playing and just pick, say, elven variants for exactly those racial stats that you don't want me to talk about.

The Rose Dragon
2009-03-16, 03:47 PM
Winged Vampire Whisper Gnome.

No, seriously. Winged Vampire Whisper Gnome.

I know that it's utterly redundant, but I like playing them. Especially if the wings are with black feathers.

I can call myself "Raven Shadow" and be all emo and stuff. It's great fun.

sombrastewart
2009-03-16, 03:53 PM
Add another one for Goliaths. I played a very good-natured goliath that was a recent exile from his tribe (which is required by the fluff) and introduced himself to everyone the way he did to other Goliaths. The rest of the group spent a good half hour talking him down from his introduction to just his name.

He also came to town during a festival and became the town wrestling champion and something of a local celebrity. He didn't know quite how to handle that, which was great fun.

Frendle
2009-03-16, 04:12 PM
My favorite was a Dwarf who played against type. He had no solid moral center and so his alignment went where ever the winds of fortune took him.

This was in 2.0 so changing alignment carried meta game consequences as well as in game ones.

The race I most like is Humans because there is no type to play against. The fluff is more important to me than the effectiveness of the character which sometimes really annoys my group.

Random NPC
2009-03-16, 04:18 PM
Scholarly Warforged. Archivists or Wizard if needed.

:smallcool:

Morty
2009-03-16, 04:21 PM
I have a soft spot for goblins and all other "monster races". But particularily goblins, because they're small, sneaky and underestimated by everyone.

Eldariel
2009-03-16, 04:22 PM
Gray Elves for me.

Weirdlet
2009-03-16, 04:31 PM
I like playing solid, sensible orcish girls, myself. They tend to dare anyone to try and give them half-breed angst.

woodenbandman
2009-03-16, 04:34 PM
SPELLSCALES! They're so much fun! I love the spellscale race, they're just so incredibly awesome. They have shopping as an (Ex) ability.

Also warforged. Because they're awesome, and Aasimars, because I like smiting evil without Smite(ing) Evil.

AslanCross
2009-03-16, 04:48 PM
Human or warforged. I don't get why people think humans are too "normal"; the whole point behind humans is that they're so varied that normal doesn't really exist.

Kobold_Love
2009-03-16, 04:52 PM
Kobolds

The quintessential underdog, having to fight from the bottom of the heap just to get respect, much less WIN. I had a kobold sorcerer that dressed in livery and acted as another party members man servant. He usually got ignored during the first round of combat, but by then it was too late to avoid death by innervate...

I second this.

There is nothing like a kobold underdog for some of us.

It is especially fun when the rest of the party would love to coup de grace you in your sleep, but they don't because they know they need you that bad. :smallbiggrin:

I also played a copper dragon once. He ended up getting knocked out by the party, hogtied, and stuffed into sacks a few times... god, I hope I get the chance to play one again one day.

Mr.Shmatt
2009-03-16, 06:00 PM
depending on starting level, it would have to be:
Mindflayer, for the megalomaniac effect, being able to ditch friends for your own safety in creative ways, and control over the general peasantry for evil ends (although my dm used to hate me for tinkering with villages)
Kobold, small, weak, but built to kill... greatest advantage being that should things go to pot, you can always pull out a dagger/pick up a rock, and charge into melee like your draconic ancestors (cue new character sheet)

ChaosDefender24
2009-03-16, 06:35 PM
Feral Anthropomorphic Giant Squid

Seriously, you're cthulhu... and you're really dumb, and your int is a dump stat. You are a creature that strikes fear or at least shock into all who see you, and you live for the hunt.

Especially soul eaters <333

Gnorman
2009-03-16, 07:34 PM
Cheee-rist, I don't know why more people aren't mentioning gnomes.

Yes, I know they're sort of the red-headed step children of the PHB. (I always fix this by changing that CON bonus to an INT one, really amps up the gnomish magery).

But gnomes are... the coolest. The coolest. They're short, tricky people with a survival instinct par excellence. They enjoy finery and larceny and artistry and alchemy and technology. Their entire culture is based around practical jokes. How is this not awesome? Fluff-wise and rules-wise, they're perfectly suited to magery. The Batman kind of magery. The kind where you're ass-up, embarrassed, humiliated, ruined, and dead before you've even seen what hit you, because what hit you was not only invisible, but a freaking three-foot tall prankster with a vast repertoire of arcane might.

I would rather have a fun-loving, light-hearted foppish gnome than a burly, gruff dwarf or a OH-I'M-SO-FAE-AND-IMMORTAL-AND-INTERESTING elf (I hate elves so much). But gnomes? Gnomes can be anything you want them to be. They might be faking it.

My favorite character ever was a gnomish rogue/illusionis who scampered about the city, annoyed the hell out of friends and enemies alike (and secretly murdered anyone who threatened him), and had a crossbow who he claimed was his polymorphed wife. He started a cult for a fake god, simply for the donations.

Some might relegate the gnome to comic relief. But they're awesome. Besides, they have a deity who allows his paladins to multiclass into rogues. One of the only races able to dislodge that stick from up a paladin's ass.

Oh, and don't even get me started on Zilargo gnomes. These are a people for whom espionage is a pleasant diversion, and blackmail is a hobby.

Eldariel
2009-03-16, 07:49 PM
Human or warforged. I don't get why people think humans are too "normal"; the whole point behind humans is that they're so varied that normal doesn't really exist.

Might have something to do with the whole "real life"-stuff; why play what you already are when you can play something you are not? Also, they're in almost every fantasy world imaginable, and quite prominent to boot - gets dull after a few rounds. I personally like removing Humans from my worlds, at least the colourless, "blank slate good at anything"-types of Humans D&D offers - having those in the game makes every other race feel just like a specialized Human (except some of the really special ones like Warforged or Kobolds).

Ravens_cry
2009-03-16, 07:54 PM
Half-orcs.
But not according to stereotypes. I rolled up a half-orc sorceress, in 3.5. Didn't get to play her, but it was a fun thinking how to role play her. My first Pathfinder character was a Neutral Good Half Orc cleric of a Neutral God of Death and Rebirth, who was looking for his son. I got him up to level 10 before he died from my stupidity. If a character is going to be stupid, it is going to be coming from my inexperience as a player.

SilentNight
2009-03-16, 07:56 PM
Damn, I got ninja'ed on Kender but my vote goes to them. I just love explaining to basically everyone you meet how their most prized possesions end up in your pouches. All the while keeping a straight face. "I was keeping it safe for you," "I thought I gave it back to you. It must have fallen into my pocket." Priceless :smallbiggrin:.

Apart from that I'd go with humans for the freedom. I also enjoy playing hobgoblins when I can though.

Assassin89
2009-03-16, 07:59 PM
Half-elves or humans for me.
Humans are versatile, meaning that I can develop different types of backgrounds.
The same applies for half elves, but it starts with whether the elf is the mother or the father.

Emperor Tippy
2009-03-16, 08:01 PM
Elans. Playing a true immortal can be real fun.

Galeheart
2009-03-16, 09:11 PM
This honestly depends, as I tend to break stereotype with most of my characters and I enjoy all of them. My absolute favorite to play is a Gnoll Ranger named Fang.

Put short, he was blessed cursed with a sense of morality, and was forced to flee his clan before he got himself slaughtered. He fights to keep his innately aggressive temperament in check and to reveal himself as a force of good to the common folk, but this is rather hard when both sides consider you an abomination.

My favorite moment with him was in a city, where we were questioning someone. He snaps, slams the guy against a wall, and snarls a demand for an answer, teeth bared inches away from the man's face. Three seconds later, he realizes what he did, puts the guy down, and apologizes profusely. Poor NPC was scared and confused half-to-death.

Kobolds are also a lot of fun to play. I once had one that absolutely refused to sell or trade gems, no matter what their worth. "It's my shiny. No one else can have my shiny."

Kobold_Love
2009-03-16, 09:17 PM
Elans. Playing a true immortal can be real fun.

Aren't they ageless, not immortal?

Emperor Tippy
2009-03-16, 09:27 PM
Aren't they ageless, not immortal?

I suppose I should have said Biological Immortality.

RavKal
2009-03-16, 09:32 PM
Elf wizard with the term chaotic thrown in around.

Not chaotic in the sense of people's lives and such, but chaotic as defined by means of gaining power, and most importantly having the ability to party anytime, anywhere.

And insult almost 90% of architecture that isn't of elvish origins. Thank you very much, Knowledge Arc+Eng.

Glyde
2009-03-16, 09:36 PM
Well, I'm very much loving my Half-Minotaur Half-Ibixian priestess, but that's a bit too specific to count.

I like roleplaying Warforged a lot. Something about going through not being able to understand things like emotions - Or even better, having them programed into your mind and not knowing what they're for.

serok42
2009-03-17, 06:24 AM

Dwarves, Drow and War Forged

Fireballing_Fun
2009-03-17, 06:30 AM

Human...

Sheesh I am boring...

I like to play humans...
either evil inclined wizard/sorcerers...

or genuinely Lawful Good but rather stupid Paladins.

PrGo
2009-03-17, 06:45 AM
Favorite character I ever played? Incubus. That's definitely my favorite race ever.
Other than that, I like Ogre Mages, Dwarves, Orcs and, of course, Dragons.
Yeah, I like non-humanoids :smallbiggrin:

Leon
2009-03-17, 07:54 AM
Its a tough call but the Dwarf stands high on the list shadowed by Wild Elves

Trollkin are a favorite but ive not gotten a chance to play one yet

Samb
2009-03-17, 08:17 AM
Githyanki trapped on the material plane due to the sudden death of the lich queen. She develops a liking for food, and becomes rather plumb.

see in the astral plane there is no need for food since everything is basically timeless. When the githyanki. Need to go to the prime they eat this tasteless mushroom to fill their stomach. That's why all of them are so skinny.
So we have githyanki who likes human food, she also tends the hatchary (reason why she is in the prime for so long).

Now she has to choose between the immortality of her home plane or the yummy food of the prime. And for warlike race like the githyanki this is a rather rediculous deilema. Between encounters she would go for the best taverens and order the most expensive meals she could afford, forcing the DM to always have think up new dishes when things needed to be RP'd in the bar. The only thing she didn't eat were mushrooms.

mistformsquirrl
2009-03-17, 10:38 AM
Several top my list:

Official races -

Elves - I enjoy being a step apart from everyone else - but you don't have to play an elf snooty-like either; which I tend not to. Its just interesting to be able to take the long view - meaning nearly a millenia of life. It also gives all kinds of interesting possibilities for running the same character in a campaign set centuries after a previous one; which can lead to interesting stories told to the younger characters in the group.

Orcs - I like playing orcs more gruff and savage than anything - not stupid, not mean (not bright nor *nice* necessarily either) but I like going for a more "They're feral and primitive, rather than "zomg evils". I realize that's not stereotypical orc, but I find them enjoyable because the possibility is there. Plus they're much rarer to play as a "good guy" than some of the other monster races. (I'm talking full-blood orcs, not half-orcs)

Shifters - I admit it, I have a thing for the "noble savage" archetype; shifters fit it well, and their traits allow for some very interesting types of characters. The best part is that due to their fluff, a Shifter can be extremely feral, or pretty civilized, and neither is off the mark. Though all of them will have that wildness, which is what I find so interesting about them.

That and shapeshifting, even a minor amount, is 'effing sweet' if I do say so myself >.>;

Unofficial races -

Any type of catperson - I'm probably one of maybe 10 people in the entire world who does this; but I love playing catfolk as serious characters. Yes, even the "Ears and a tail on an otherwise human" type catperson.

Understandably I have my own version <'x'> but I tend to play whatever is available if the DM will let me >.>

By Serious Character btw, I don't mean "omgsoseriousemotype" - though I have done that and it was interesting - but I'm talking playing them so they aren't just a zany bouncy ball of distraction; rather I put some effort into actually fleshing out the character. Even the goofier catfolk I've played have a real story and personality behind them.

... You can quit looking at me like that now <;_;> I'll get my coat...

Quincunx
2009-03-17, 11:14 AM
Your coat is hanging where you left it. The coat rack, by contrast, has sprouted five more arms tipped with hydra-headed spigots (second on the left is leaking--from its nostrils) and, as your hand passes within 20cm of your coat's collar, the hydra heads on that arm fire, spraying your coat successively with steam, detergent, more steam, a blast of warm air, a spritz of waterproofing chemicals, another blast of warm air, and a final sneeze of citronella to keep mosquitoes away on those hot summer nights and absolutely not because of its fire-suppressing properties at all.

Gnomes, subtype tinker. "The only limit is your imagination" gets worrisome when you consider the limits of good taste, the limits of your conscience, the limits of natural law, and all the others you trade in for that phrase.

FatJose
2009-03-17, 11:24 AM
My top three are

Half-orc: My first character, for some reason I really like half-orcs. I dont know.

Kobold: Umm, I was a big dinosaur fact freak as a kid >.>

Human: Flexible and well rounded.

Comet
2009-03-17, 11:59 AM
I prefer humans. I just think that I can relate to them better. I do enjoy using the other races as NPC's when I DM, however. To me, non-human races should feel, well, non-human. At least to a certain degree. As a player, that makes roleplaying a non-human rather difficult, but still enjoyable every now and then.

I know you didn't ask, but I really need to tell y'all my least favourite race to roleplay.
Gnome.
I just think they're silly halflings. And why does being short make them better steampunk mechanics? I wanna play a scientist that isn't knee-high. :smallannoyed: Yeah, I know I can, and am very glad of it
Anyway, I just don't really see the appeal. Except, once again, as NPC's and even then they tend to be more akin to the "forest dwelling prankster fae" archetype than the "short people that build wacky machinery and joke around" bunch.

TheThan
2009-03-17, 03:42 PM
I love orcs. Not the “smash everyone, In the name of Gruumsh” types. Mine tend to fall into the noble savage category.

Lets see, I once had a gnome illusionist that was also a magician. As in stage magic, pulling rabbits out of his hat, sawing people in half, that sort of stuff. So yeah, gnomes are really fun.

I’m currently enjoying a pair of Tiefling twins (one’s a rogue, the other a beguiler). The two are con artists, thieves and all around scoundrels. The two are quite fun.

I tend to play a lot of humans; my most recent is an apprentice mage, whose master has gone missing.

I’ve played elves and dwarves but they aren’t quite as fun as the other races.

Gnorman
2009-03-17, 05:25 PM
I’m currently enjoying a pair of Tiefling twins (one’s a rogue, the other a beguiler). The two are con artists, thieves and all around scoundrels. The two are quite fun.

Dear Penthouse...

Graymayre
2009-03-18, 08:04 PM
I've given it some thought, and have to say that I like to roleplay warforged the most. There are just so many wacky characters you can make them into. (trash can man awaaaaaay!)

Kiero
2009-03-18, 08:16 PM
I don't care what setting or system it is, I only play humans. If it's a game without humans in it, then it's one I won't play.

Non-humans have lost all appeal they once had to me, they just don't interest me any more.

Grynning
2009-03-18, 08:18 PM
Changelings! Why RP one race when you can RP RP'ing them all!

Besides Changelings, I usually go for Humans or Dwarves. Except my Dwarves aren't stupid WoW Dwarves, they're Scandinavian like they should be :smallcool:

Talya
2009-03-18, 11:01 PM
Human. - It's far easier to identify with your character and come up with an interesting backstory when your race is not also part of the backstory.

Whisper Gnome. - Sullen, quiet, skilled, and tough. Easy to play, all in a 3 foot tall package.

Goliath. - They look like big savages, but underneath that oversized, brutish exterior, they're as human as anybody else.

Pixie. - The seelie court is always fun. Alligned with Good yet dangerous and mischeivous at the same time, Yay!

Star Elf. - The closest a D&D elf can come to Galadriel. Otherworldly, and more charming and pretty than is humanly possible.

Jayngfet
2009-03-18, 11:37 PM
Orcs. They need shades to avoid bright light, they're chaotic hot blooded types, they live both underground and on the surface. Orcs are the goddamned Kamina of DND.

BobVosh
2009-03-19, 01:43 AM
Aw, and with Tayla goes the last race I had unique from everyone else so far.

Favorite: Thri-kreen
2nd: Goblin
3rd: Werid combos using tauric
4th: Pixie

Favorites that havent tried due to mechanics meaning it is impossible:
1: Mindflayer
2: Kua-toa(sp?) (not really mechanics on this one, just hard to find a party to help support it)
3. Some flavor of troll

Jarrick
2009-03-19, 09:00 AM
Dwarves- for their burly, gruff, rude, scottishness.

Changelings- for the array of interesting strategic disguises

Humans- easy to roleplay and relate to, plus they can easily fit almost any role.

Deep Imaskari- They wear long dark coats as a racial preference, have pale skin, and are quiet and subdued, though intensely focused on arcane matters. So they can be be all dark and mysterious, yet not be emo or even necissarily unfriendly. Plus they are almost completely ignorant of the surface world. I once played one that was a storm-themed wizard because he was so awestruck the first time he saw a thunderstorm on the surface.

Kuo toa- "Feel the wrath of the sea mother!!!"

Half aquatic elf- I like nautical things in general, and these are my favorite nautical race, despite the unlikelyhood of their existance.

Caen'ir
2009-03-19, 09:49 AM
I don't really have a "favorite" race. I like to try new races a lot, and I try to constantly try different ones. One of my favorite characters, though, was a kender. He was so much fun to play. I'm partial to tieflings and planetouched/planar races. As for homebrew races, I really like the possibilities of the "Crafted" race posted here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11573

Just a few of the ones I've enjoyed RPing, always more to add to the list. :smallsmile:

Rhiannon87
2009-03-19, 11:27 AM
I almost always play humans. They're easier to relate to, they don't have most of the stereotype baggage the other races do, and you have a bit more freedom with backstory. (And as my DMs will testify, I do love me some backstory.) I've seen lots of other players do really awesome stuff with other races, it's just not something that I'm terribly good at. I think all the standard races (except maybe half-elves) are kind of boring. Although I did play a gnome druid once. That was kind of fun, although I ultimately got bored with her (didn't mesh well with the party) and replaced her with a paladin. She's the only lawful member of the party (and the one referenced in my sig. Poor girl.)

But yeah, humans ftw.

Quincunx
2009-03-19, 11:49 AM
. . .I know you didn't ask, but I really need to tell y'all my least favourite race to roleplay.
Gnome.
I just think they're silly halflings. And why does being short make them better steampunk mechanics? . . .

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/Quincunx_GitP/mintazoomy.png
'Cause it's easier fit inna machinery an' make fine adjustments if you haven't got clumpy, clumsy, too-tall-person hands! Don't you too-tall people know ANYthing?!

Lost Demiurge
2009-03-19, 01:28 PM
Lord. I've got a ton.

Changelings: There's a glorious freedom in being able to shape your appearance/gender/race at will. You can be whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like. Also gives a great opportunity to play up a subtly alien viewpoint.

Chromatic Dragons: Mind you, this one takes the right sort of campaign. But when it's possible, it's fun to play the most fearsome creature in the game. Metallics can be fun too, but I find them a little more boring. All that nobility, psh. And as far as I'm concerned, gem dragons shouldn't exist.

Dragonborn: They're large, they're tough, and they look like dragons. If you want to be a mighty warrior, drive your foes before you and hear the lamentation of their women, this is a great choice. OR if you want to play a mighty arcane caster, they've got that allure to them as well.

Goblins: This is a license to play a greedy, cowardly little guy who's still effective in a party. Every goblin I've played has been a blast, and usually entertained the hell out of my friends.

Kobolds: See goblins, with the added joy of a weird sort of twisted pride. Another poster said it best, they're the majorly outclassed underdogs, and that makes them fun to run.

Ogre Mages: Whenever I've gotten the chance to do this kind, I've always played them like Mr. Hyde from the (comic-book) version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. A surprisingly well-mannered and intelligent brute, whose savagery is just below the surface. A great team player, so long as he's either acknowledged as the glorious leader, or can find a way to fit the team into his sinister long-term plans (tm).

Tiefling: Hello, hellboy! Or sexy succubus girl, for that matter... Cheerfully amoral yet loyal to their friends, it's fun to be a non-angsty anti-hero. Anything goes better with horns and fire-resistant hide, that's my take on it.

Thurbane
2009-03-19, 09:24 PM
I often seem to end up playing humans, both for mechanical and roleplay reasons, but the fantasy race I most identify with (and find easiest to RP) is Dwarves. :smallsmile:

While being 6'4'' myself, most other aspects of my personality are closest to a dwarf: grumpy, bearded and love the grog! :smallbiggrin:

Second best match would be half-orc, or half-ogre.

I've always found elves too "nancy-boy" for my tastes, and I just can't identify with the "little people" (gnomes and halflings)...