PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Weapon Question

BelorinMoonclaw
2009-03-16, 01:47 AM
Hi all, I was wondering if there was any effective equivalent to a greatsword / greataxe which deals bludgeoning damage, and if so, which book it is found in.

To clarify, what I am looking for is a 2 handed bludgeoning weapon which deals 2d6 or 1d12 damage.

Any assistance on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Wafflecart
2009-03-16, 01:51 AM
Hi all, I was wondering if there was any effective equivalent to a greatsword / greataxe which deals bludgeoning damage, and if so, which book it is found in.

To clarify, what I am looking for is a 2 handed bludgeoning weapon which deals 2d6 or 1d12 damage.

I know there is, but I can't for the life of me remember where to find it or what it's called, I know it's a 1d12 though, and it's essentially a big hammer.

Wafflecart
2009-03-16, 01:53 AM
I know there is, but I can't for the life of me remember where to find it or what it's called, I know it's a 1d12 though, and it's essentially a big hammer.

Goliath Greathammer, page 154 of Races of Stone.

BelorinMoonclaw
2009-03-16, 01:55 AM
Cool, thanks a bunch

Kroy
2009-03-16, 01:55 AM

The heavy flair hits .5 damage average less than a great axe.

Edit: While I was on SRD looking up weapons you ninja'ed me. Me sad :smallfrown:

Shademan
2009-03-16, 02:03 AM
you could also go for the maul/mallet in the arms and equipment guide but since goliath hammer sounds much more awesome....

Curmudgeon
2009-03-16, 06:26 AM
To clarify, what I am looking for is a 2 handed bludgeoning weapon which deals 2d6 or 1d12 damage. There's the Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic page 101) + Monk's Belt. Together they'll let you do 2d6 unarmed damage. And you can do this with both your hands, so that's 2 handed, right?

Ernir
2009-03-16, 07:52 AM
There's also the Greathammer. Monster Manual IV, page 101. An exotic weapon, but the damage for medium creatures is 1d12, 19-20/x4. Ouch.

Celeres
2009-03-16, 08:59 PM
there's also the Warmace from the complete warrior.

you sacrifice 1 AC, but it's a 2-handed martial weapon, bludgeoning, and a 1d12 damage.

gabado
2009-03-16, 09:10 PM

yes the shillalah or some such nonsense word, any-who the item in question is found in frostburn and is an exotic bludgeoning and slashing weapon.
i also think that the maul (complete worrier) might be the bludgeoning, exotic equivalent of the great sword and great axe.

i would like to know however is why you need this weapon and if it is a mater of DR why not use the weapon enhancement in the magic item compendium? :smallconfused:

Thurbane
2009-03-16, 09:36 PM
Goliath Greathammer, page 154 of Races of Stone.
There's also that other "broken" greathammer from MMIV (Greathorn Minotaur entry), with the 19-20/x4 crticial.

RTGoodman
2009-03-16, 09:45 PM
yes the shillalah or some such nonsense word, any-who the item in question is found in frostburn and is an exotic bludgeoning and slashing weapon.

The sugliin? Why, sir, that's not a silly weapon at all! I LOVE being able to swing around a haphazard amalgam of sticks, antlers, bones, and rope! :smallwink: Seriously, though, I do love the sugliin, even if it does suck. (You know, since it requires TWO feats to use it correctly.)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-16, 09:48 PM
The sugliin? Why, sir, that's not a silly weapon at all! I LOVE being able to swing around a haphazard amalgam of sticks, antlers, bones, and rope! :smallwink: Seriously, though, I do love the sugliin, even if it does suck. (You know, since it requires TWO feats to use it correctly.)Master of Masks may make it doable with a one-level dip(not having seen the weapon, I can't be sure).

arguskos
2009-03-16, 09:53 PM
The sugliin? Why, sir, that's not a silly weapon at all! I LOVE being able to swing around a haphazard amalgam of sticks, antlers, bones, and rope! :smallwink: Seriously, though, I do love the sugliin, even if it does suck. (You know, since it requires TWO feats to use it correctly.)
2d8+1.5 Str damage on a hit? As a level 1 Neanderthal fighter? Why yes please!

Gotta love the sugliin.

Teron
2009-03-16, 10:15 PM
Specter, you might have been conflating it with the spell shillelagh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shillelagh.htm), named for a kind of Irish cudgel.

Zaq
2009-03-16, 10:24 PM
The sugliin is one of the most hilariously awesome weapons in the game. The mental image is, in my mind, truly worth the cost. Also, for what it's worth, if you're one of those people who MUST use Monkey Grip just for the rush of having a really big weapon, the sugliin is a decent choice. (The difference between 2d8 and 3d8 is... acceptable, at least at lowish levels. Maybe not worth the feat in a 15 or 20 level build, but still fun.)

My roommate recently played a Neraph warblade who used a monkey-gripped Large sugliin in the campaign I'm running right now. Give yourself a second and picture that. A giant frog wielding an enormous antler-tree. (Not only that, but since he was a warblade, he was wielding it with extreme skill. No clumsy barbarian-style bashing.) Glorious.

gabado
2009-03-16, 11:17 PM
Specter, you might have been conflating it with the spell shillelagh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shillelagh.htm), named for a kind of Irish cudgel.

no, no, i had the name wrong, i was not referring to an irish club, the weapon in question is the sugliin, like rtg0922 said;
Why, sir, that's not a silly weapon at all! I LOVE being able to swing around a haphazard amalgam of sticks, antlers, bones, and rope! Seriously, though, I do love the sugliin, even if it does suck. (You know, since it requires TWO feats to use it correctly.) it's awesome, exotic, requires two feats to use and looks like a jumble of bones and sticks bound to a pole with leather. it is the essence of epic two weapon intenseness.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-16, 11:21 PM
Can someone post the stats/requirements for the Sugliin for me? I want to figure out what builds can wield it with little-to-no cost.

RTGoodman
2009-03-16, 11:21 PM
Master of Masks may make it doable with a one-level dip(not having seen the weapon, I can't be sure).

It takes care of the EWP feat, but not the Sugliin Mastery feat that you'd also need. See, with just EWP, it takes a full round action to make a single attack, which SUCKS. Sugliin Mastery lets you use it as normal, so it's basically required.

I've always wanted to just do a Goliath Barbarian/Fighter or something like that (nothing too fancy) who uses a sugliin. (Hello Powerful Build and a big racial Str bonus!) I actually got to build one once, but the campaign never got beyond character creation (like so many games I've been involved with). :smallannoyed:

EDIT @Sstoopid: It's a two-handed exotic bludgeoning piercing and slashing reach weapon (IIRC). It does 2d6 Small, 2d8 Medium, or 3d8 Large. Crit is just x2. It takes a full-round to make a single attack unless you take the special Sugliin Mastery feat. RealmsHelp (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/weapons.pl?all) has more info (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/weaponsb.pl?Sugliin).

arguskos
2009-03-16, 11:45 PM
I actually played a Neanderthal Fighter/Barbarian once that used a sugliin. His philosophy was this (remember, he has an Int of 4): "This? This my sugliin. Great ancestor inside. Helps me crush enemies. How I crush? Like this!" *power attacks the person with the sugliin for gigantic damage* "There, now you know."

wadledo
2009-03-17, 12:29 AM
I actually played a Neanderthal Fighter/Barbarian once that used a sugliin. His philosophy was this (remember, he has an Int of 4): "This? This my sugliin. Great ancestor inside. Helps me crush enemies. How I crush? Like this!" *power attacks the person with the sugliin for gigantic damage* "There, now you know."

And knowing *twinkle* Is Half The Battle!

Person_Man
2009-03-17, 10:06 AM
As others have stated, the Sugliin isn't worth it. 2d8 *2 reach weapon is nice, but it takes two feats (Exotic Weapon Prof and Sugliin Mastery) to use correctly. Even as part of a Haberdash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633) build, it's only useful before you get more then one attack. After that, it's really not worth a feat for an extra 1d8ish damage.

Having said that, if you use Expansion and tag team with somebody using Greater Mighty Wallop, then you can get up to 8d8 damage at ECL 8 (maybe even ECL 6ish with Midnight Augmentation and/or Overchannel). But you can pull of a similar combo using Monk levels or Claws of the Beast for even more damage.

monty
2009-03-17, 11:38 AM
After that, it's really not worth a feat for an extra 1d8ish damage.

Still better than Weapon Specialization, though, and you don't even need to be a fighter!