PDA

View Full Version : Any Bollywood Fans?

Bhu
2009-03-16, 02:16 AM
I review films for a book, and since I'm doing asian films (and Slumdog Millionaire made it big) I am now by default the Bollywood guy. The only problem is I don't know much about Bollywood films having seen very few of them. So I'm hoping someone has some recommendations. Currently I have reviewed the following:

Devdas
Bandh Darwaza
Purana Mandir
Veerana
Purani Haveli
Asoka
Om Shanti Om
Veer-Zaara
Main Hoon Na
Saawariya
Baadshah
Sholay
Baghban
Bas Itna Sa Khwaab Hai
Don
Bolywood Dreams (aka Rangeela)
Hum Tumhaire Hain Sanam
Sarkar Raj
Shakthi: The Power
Kyun! Ho Gaya Na
Mughal-E-Azam
Waqt: The Race Against Time

My only limits are I can only review films available on DVD in the US. If anyone can recommend any good (or really, really bad) films you have my eternal thanks :smallbiggrin:

Mephibosheth
2009-03-21, 01:31 AM
I don't have a lot of familiarity with Bollywood films, but there are a few that I've seen that I would recommend checking out.

Salaam-e-Ishq
Guru
Dhoom 2
Rang de Basanti
Kabul Express
Omkara
Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham
Hum Tum
Dil Se
Kal Ho Na Ho
Krrish
Water/Fire/Earth (I wouldn't actually classify these as Bollywood films, but they were made in India and feature several prominent Bollywood actors. As a bonus, they're in English IIRC.)

Hope that helps.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot Traffic Signal! One of my favorites!

Sneak
2009-03-21, 01:52 AM
Lagaan! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagaan)

Knaight
2009-03-21, 01:54 AM
Bollywood made a blatant spoof, Bride and Prejudice and its fairly popular. It might be worth checking out.

Hades
2009-03-21, 03:14 PM
Sneak already recommended Lagaan (aka How to Learn about Cricket in the most Awesome Way Possible), so I will recommend:

Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. and Lage Raho Munna Bhai, both very fun.

Griemont
2009-03-21, 08:41 PM
I can vouch for the quality of 99% of the movies listed. Make sure you see both Dhoom movies (the first one was far better IMO) and both the Don remake and the original.

Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham and Lagaan are ESSENTIAL. Watch the former as soon as you can; but be warned it's about 3 hours long.

EDIT: Wow, I forgot the two classics...I assumed that you'd already seen them, they were so popular. Even more essential than the above two:

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

Lot of Shahrukh? Heck yeah. :smallcool:

Bhu
2009-03-21, 10:26 PM
Good Lord either Sharukh Khan or Amitabh Bachchan seem to be in 90% of the films I'm reviewing!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Is there much in the way of decent horror/fantasy/scifi/exploitation/cult films in India? Most of the stuff Im reviewing either seems to be comedy or drama and/or romance. I'd like to have a little of everything if possible.