PDA

View Full Version : Trying to reduce Metamagic cost

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-03-16, 03:42 PM
Okay, I am, specifically, wanting to reduce the cost of a metamagic feat by one to a minimum of zero. However, I neither wish to use Incantatrix or DMM to do it.

I know there is a feat in the Dragonomicon, but it reduces to a minimum of one, which makes it impractical for my purposes.

Basically, I'm wanting to create a spontaneous caster who is able to apply Silent Spell to all of his spells without cost. All day long. Until he runs out of spells.

AmberVael
2009-03-16, 03:52 PM
Okay, I am, specifically, wanting to reduce the cost of a metamagic feat by one to a minimum of zero. However, I neither wish to use Incantatrix or DMM to do it.

I know there is a feat in the Dragonomicon, but it reduces to a minimum of one, which makes it impractical for my purposes.

Basically, I'm wanting to create a spontaneous caster who is able to apply Silent Spell to all of his spells without cost. All day long. Until he runs out of spells.

What level are you looking at? I mean, there is "automatic silent spell" at epic level, but I doubt you want to be referred to that.

As far as I know, that's the only method that's going to work for ALL spells ALL the time.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-16, 03:52 PM
Arcane Thesis from Player's Handbook 2 allows you to choose a single spell, which has all metamagic effects costing 1 less for that spell, minimum 0.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-16, 04:13 PM
Either see if your DM will allow Easy Metamagic to reduce the cost to 0, or get a custom magic item. A Metamagic Rod with infinite uses of the Silent Spell feat would cost 5,000 GP(Lesser), 18,333.33 GP(Moderate), or 40,833.33 GP(Greater). None of those is unaffordable at the levels you would want it, though going above a +1 adjustment would be prohibitive in most cases. Either way, though, it depends on your DM.

Keld Denar
2009-03-16, 05:01 PM
Practical Metamagic should work, but I don't recall the source. Basically, you pick a MM Feat you have and it reduces it by 1. Thus, a +1 would be a +0 MM. 2 feats and all your spells are silenced all day long.

RTGoodman
2009-03-16, 05:04 PM
If you've got a particular race in mind already it won't work, but there's a race in Manual of the Planes (I believe) called the Buomman that have a racial vow of silence. One of their racial feats, IIRC, lets you effectively cast without any Verbal components, which is basically like Silent Spell for all spells for free.

EDIT: Practical Metamagic is from Races of the Dragon, assuming Google isn't lying to me.

Douglas
2009-03-16, 05:49 PM
Practical Metamagic has the same minimum 1 as most other unlimited use reductions, though.

Without homebrew, what you want is not possible until epic. You can get it on one spell with Arcane Thesis, but everything else either has an alternative cost that limits uses per day, has a minimum of 1 spell slot level, or is epic. You could play a psion instead - psionic powers have no verbal or somatic components - but that may not fit what you want.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-03-16, 05:55 PM
I thought Practical Metamagic also had a limit of +1. If not, this is the answer to my problem, thanks!

AmberVael
2009-03-16, 09:23 PM
I thought Practical Metamagic also had a limit of +1.
It does, just like pretty much everything else you're going to find.

Elminster1
2009-03-16, 09:39 PM
If you could, try talking with your DM about the Meta-Magic variants in Unearthed Arcana. It has 2 options, both include prepared and spontaneous characters. Its a very nice feature, and makes metamagic more enticing. Before I never used much metamagic, only through Rods. Metamagic is just too expensive most of the time. Plus, since I play prepared casters, theres nothing more frustrating than preparing a metamagic'd spell only to find out its not the one you need, etc. Ugh. The UA variant for metamagic rocks, and is balanced in my opinion, which gives players a more desireable approach to using metamagic without all the drawbacks, making it more applicable in actual gameplay.

Paul H
2009-03-21, 06:53 PM
Hi

Try a Prestige Class. Ultimate Magus is quite good.

If you took Sudden Silent as your MM feat, you can use your Wiz cantrips (0 lvl spells), to 'sudden' silent your spont class spells. (There is a limit/day and max level of spells you can 'empower' this way).

Example:

Beguiler 2/Wiz 3/Ult Magus 10

1) Beguiler. (Armoured Mage, Trapfinder). SF Enchants
2) Beguiler. (Cloaked Casting - +1DC, Surprise Casting)
3) Wizard. (Scribe Scroll, Familiar), Sudden Silent
4) Wizard.
5) Wizard.
6) Ult Magus. (Arcane Spellpower +1), +1 LA Beguiler, Unsettling Enchantment
7) Ult Magus. (Expanded spell know - 1st lvl) +1LA Beguiler & Wiz
8) Ult Magus. (Augmented Casting), +1LA Beguiler/Wiz
9) Ult Magus. (Arcane Spellpower +2, Expanded spell know - 2nd Lvl), +1LA Beguiler, Pract Spellcaster Beguiler
10) Ult Magus. (Bonus Metamagic Feat), +1LA Beguiler/Wiz
11) Ult Magus. (Expanded spell know 3rd Lvl)
12) Ult Magus. (Arcane Spellpower +3), +1LA Beguiler, Gtr SF Enchants
13) Ult Magus. (Expanded spell know 4th Lvl), +1LA Beguiler/Wiz
14) Ult Magus. (Bonus MM Feat), +1LA Beguiler/Wiz
15) Ult Magus.(Arcane spell power +4, Expanded spell know 5th Lvl), +1LA Beguiler/Wiz, Pract Spellcaster Wiz

Spells as Beguiler 12, Wiz 10.
Beguiler CL 19
Wizard CL 19

Use spells from one class to power up metamagic feats on the other. Costs spell of the value of increase in spell level. Eg. Empower requires 2nd lvl spell, Sudden memtamagic requires cantrips.

Enjoy
Paul H
PS you could always just buy a Metamagic Rod Silent Spell.