PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]

Fuzzatron
2009-03-16, 07:51 PM
I'm going to start playing in an evil gestalt campaign soon and I want to play a necromancer. My necromancer wants an unstoppable army of undead to follow his every command. He also wants to cast lots and lots of spells. Arcane and Divine preferably. I need help finding good classses, spells, feats, magic items, and such to maximize this. What suggestions do you have? Everything's open. :xykon:

Flickerdart
2009-03-16, 07:53 PM
Dread Necromancer seems like the logical choice for one side. Cleric for the other, if the casting stacks. If not, you could always take an Undead race and let the LA run on the other side of the Gestalt. What level are we talking here?

KillianHawkeye
2009-03-16, 08:01 PM
Check out this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106166) from the beginning of the month about this very subject. Particularly any of Undead Prince's posts if you're looking for a ridiculously over-powered build.

tyckspoon
2009-03-16, 08:14 PM
Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror)//Cleric with appropriate domains is a quick and dirty way to go about it, although with quite a lot of overlap. If you're careful about it Wizard//Cleric will be more effective (Wizard gets better Calling spells and eventually Poly Any Object, which can be [ab]used to get you a corpse of pretty much whatever you want. Cleric gets much better spells and bonus abilities for actually animating said corpses.)

Much, much more detailed advice can be had from K's Revised Necromancy Handbook. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=599129) It's a long read, but if you want nasty but usually quite practical optimization I'm not aware of many better sources (although you may need a little bit to get used to the writing style- Frank and K share a somewhat off-putting "you're doing it wrong" tone in places.)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-03-16, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I was the one previously asking about a necromancer.

I mostly used Undead Princes stuff, but my DM thought it used way to much cheeze :smallbiggrin:

Check it out though, theres some really good ideas there.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-16, 08:24 PM
DN//Cleric is great, IMHO. The other option, as stated is to go either DN or Cleric on one side(Cleric is universally a better necromancer than Wizard, IMHO) and Undead HD/LA on the other, to be a Lich or Vampire Necro.

holywhippet
2009-03-16, 09:16 PM
You could follow the comic's character as inspiration and aim for a mystic theurge like Tsukiko. Aim for feats that improve your effective caster level for necromancy.

d13
2009-03-16, 10:07 PM
Necropolitan Something Dread Necromancer//Cleric.

Undeath 'til the ankle (?) xD