PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spell Penetration

Gorbash
2009-03-17, 09:38 AM
Since my DM decided to nerf Assay Spell Resistance, by limiting its duration to one round, I need other ways to bypass high SR. Logical choice would be Spell Penetration and GSP feats, but since I'm lvl 11, and on 12th lvl I'll have to take Skill Focus Spellcraft to get into Archmage, it means I'll be able to get those two by lvl 18.

What are the other ways?

So far, my ideas are:

-Spell Power of the Archmage
-Create Magic Tatoo on 13th lvl
-Spell Enhancer

Is there a spell that lowers SR? Or something similar?

The Glyphstone
2009-03-17, 09:53 AM
Subvert Planar Essence saps the DR and SR of any outsiders within its AoE, though it is immobile and limited to outsiders. Probably not what you want.

Spell Vulnerability is what you're looking for, though it allows a Fort save to resist.

Both are in Spell Compendium.

Fixer
2009-03-17, 09:58 AM
Use spells that don't allow SR? (Orb of X spells, for example)

Magic items that increase your caster level? I know of an ioun stone that does that, just use that mechanic to build a better magic item.

ericgrau
2009-03-17, 10:02 AM
Ways to get around Spell Resistance:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/tt/20050711a

Gorbash
2009-03-17, 10:08 AM
Subvert Planar Essence saps the DR and SR of any outsiders within its AoE, though it is immobile and limited to outsiders. Probably not what you want.

It actually is pretty nice, since we're fighting demons usually, but ironically that spell allows SR.

Spell Vulnerability is nice though.

Use spells that don't allow SR? (Orb of X spells, for example)

True Batman doesn't do damage. He disables. :smalltongue:

Douglas
2009-03-17, 10:16 AM
There's True Casting from Complete Mage, though it's essentially True Strike for SR complete with the standard action casting time. +10 on one SR check for a level 1 standard action spell. Not too useful unless you're really tight on spell slots for Assay Resistance, though.

If your problem is beating SR consistently rather than beating it at all - specifically if your bonus is high enough to succeed on a 10 - the Arcane Mastery feat from Complete Arcane lets you take 10 on caster level checks, which includes SR checks.

There are several items that give bonuses to either caster level in general or SR checks specifically.

Gorbash
2009-03-17, 10:55 AM
Ways to get around Spell Resistance:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/tt/20050711a

Well, I don't really agree that items don't help. They said themselves that every little bit helps. Orange Ioun Stone is pricey, though. But I'm sure I'll be able to afford Ring of Arcane Might in a level or two. Combining that and few other abilities, it would give a decent bonus.

Lapak
2009-03-17, 11:49 AM
Before I invested in any more character features to bypass SR, I'd talk to your DM and determine what the reason was for the original nerf. If he or she just wants it to be more costly for you to overcome SR, then go ahead and use the resources in this thread - but if the point of the original ruling was to allow the DM to throw monsters at you that will resist half or three quarters of what you toss at them, then you're going to walk into another nerf. The end result of that will be an over-focused character who STILL can't do what you want to do, and frustration for both you and the DM as you work at cross-purposes.

EDIT: Talking to the DM (outside the regular gaming session, naturally) also gives you the opportunity to say 'My character is designed around SR-resistable spells. Fighting monsters that resist them every so often is fun and challenging, but fighting them all the time just makes my character kind of useless and it's not fun for me.'

Keld Denar
2009-03-17, 12:07 PM
If you are a Shadowcraft Mage, you can use Earth Spell Shananananananananananananagens with Silent Image and Heighten Spell to get hyper-inflated CL. A level 10 SCM can easily hit CL 20 or so.

Probably not useful if you already have a build set.

Douglas
2009-03-17, 12:23 PM
A Third Eye (Penetrate) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#penetrate) gives +2 on SR checks for just 8000. It's also in the Magic Item Compendium with wording that clears up any possible confusion about whether it applies to spells or just psionics.