Satisfying in its way
But not this day
Niggling pain
The little things that bother
Curses and hellfire
Doing my duty
Decidedly unsatisfactory

Lonesome
You find yourself sitting by a dying fire under a clear and starry night sky. In your hands is a mug, still slightly warm but empty, the faint taste of peppermint tea lingering on your tongue. The taste is familiar and comforting. You look up and marvel at the pin-pricks of light, pretending that the sparks from the fire that cross your vision are shooting stars. The thought amuses you. You think about the fire, how you can feel the smoke in your skin, the smell of it in your hair and clothes, the dryness in your eyes and lips. Your hands feel rough from handling the wood that built the fire. Small nicks and cuts from sharp edges and brambles sting but are not painful. You begin to think of times past, a dozen occasions sitting out with friends, past lovers, relatives, enjoying a beer, music, laughter, gentle chatter, a comforting arm around you against a chill breeze, your own arms around another and the smell of her hair. You remember these things, but they are far away, your friends are elsewhere, unreachable, and you know they're together, laughing and talking, comforted by each others' company. The lover is even further away, has forgotten you or does not care for you any longer, you know not which. That you are alone, becomes strikingly clear. No laughter, no chatter, no arms around you, just the crackle of the fire and the pale light of the stars. A cool breeze chills you and the feeling hits you like a blow to the chest, so intense it's painful. You feel small and far away, loved but remote. You've never felt quite so...lonesome.

Violent Passion Surrogate
Scream? No. Maybe if I let out all the snorts, subvocal mutterings, fist-striking-palm incidents, flying hands into the bannister, gasps when the nose can't supply enough air, all those at once, it would add up to one scream--but not today. Today was a silent day.

Everyone had a silent day today, clearing the brickwork when one man lunged at another in the shadow of the fancy-dress shop window--kicked him in the head without warning or finesse, while the crowd diverted itself in a loose circle five meters broad. They were at the center, I a bit more than halfway out, glaring inward at the unprotected back of the kicker. Defending oneself with bare hands? Forgotten. Keys and pressure points? Forgotten. A kick in the crotch? Forgotten. That shoe I threw at a boy back in first grade? Forgotten. My head was as silent as the other onlookers.

The attacker got tired of assaulting the fetal position and backed away, rasping a word or three, not English, likely not Gaelic. Silence broke, and the ring dissipated like fog. My mind disposed of the details before I'd left that street, but it wasn't quick enough to stop connections. Rage under the N20 overpass, a man in the dusk hammering on the plexiglass windows of a self-contained street sweeper--what loud drunken language had that been? Why was the victim's face the familiar one? Had I passed him before, clutching a can of lager at the Lady's Well, or munching on chips in the cold angle of a concrete stairway? Am I certain that it's nothing I can make a witness statement about? Yes.

VPS: Violent Passion Surrogate.

I feel fine.

King of my World
I rise to the sound of guttural swearing
And protests of a mower or chainsaw too old
For efficient work in cold winter mornings.

I have lain in my bed for an hour or more,
Until the sound of machinery’s roar
Has told me my father has gone downstairs
And into the yard to work.

I make cornflakes and tea,
Both sweetened with honey,
As the mower downstairs
Begins its work.

I cannot see my father
Anywhere except my mind,
But the picture formed there is
Perfect as any taken with a camera.

Hunched over, too tall for the lawnmower.
His shirt is probably off,
His barrel body showing
The biggest scar I have ever seen before or since.

His hands and bulging arms red with
Perpetual sunburn and raw-rubbing
From working the railway
For too many years,

His face just as red
With heat and with swearing,
Grizzled full-beard
Seems almost too dark for his golden-brown hair.

I step out to the balcony and the mower has stopped
Replaced steady and steady by wood being chopped
By huge bulging arms with an axe held aloft
As effortless and natural as a baby with its rattle.

My mother’s at work and
My brother is hiding in his room
Much as I was moments before.
I stare at my father.

While my own breath is frosting in the air,
The man glows red and sweats as he splits
More wood than is seemingly possible,
As if he projects his own heat.

This morning I will not fear.
Today I will have his approval, so
I go down to my father and start
Hauling wood from the pile
Up to the house for the fire.

He smiles briefly and messes my hair,
Which I know he despises for nearly reaching
My chin. We work in silence until
The end, when he says ‘we’re done’ and nods.

I notice the ‘we’ that I desperately sought
And I am king of my world, for today.

Meditation
You have had a bad day. You feel tired and your mind feels dull. You have a hard time thinking straight, but even then you hold on to a single idea: you can feel better, if it is what you truly wish for.

You go into your room, close the door and open the window. A soft summer breeze comes through, bringing with it the smell of trees and flowers. You sit on the ground, your back straight as an arrow, close your eyes, and concentrate. You turn all your thoughts inwards, becoming aware of your anxious breath and heartbeat. You listen to them, feel them, become them. You let them fill your mind and start visualising a beach, with the water coming and going rythmically. You focus on the air which comes and goes from your lungs. In and out. In and out. In and out. Little by little, patiently, you become one with this flow, then slow it down until it is gently rocking you back and forth, the worries and difficulties of your life forgotten for the moment. You are at peace.

Then, turning outwards, still one with the flow, you start stretching your perceptions towards the room, then the house, then outside. On the other side of the door, you hear a comforting purr -- your cat is sleeping and you can hear its calm breath. Downstairs, there is a series of clicks with no particular rythm -- your mother is typing something on her computer, and you can hear her wonder aloud what will be the title of her next book. Outside, there is the wind, birds in the trees, and some cars are going down the street. How many, you wonder? One. Two. Three. Yes, that's it. For a time, you know that, despite all the obstacles you encountered, all is well in the world and in yourself.

Eventually, it is time for you to wake up. You open your eyes, look around, take a deep breath, then stand up. You are refreshed, and you feel a renewed strength pouring in your veins, as if you had woken up from a restful sleep. You are free. Your mind is free. So is your body. You smile. Life is good. You know no limits except that which you wish.

The world is yours for the taking, and nothing will stand between you and your dreams.

Loathing
It starts with a glimpse. The thing was so close, close enough to touch, but the thought of coming into physical contact with the misshapen beast is enough to make you feel dirty all over again. It's naked - you can see that quite clearly. Its bloated, pallid body glistens with unsavory moisture, beads of water rolling languidly down its fleshy rolls as if purposely defining the hideous shape. It takes no time for you to feel queasy. The fact that this thing, this sub-human monstrosity exists on an otherwise perfectly pleasant planet is disturbing down to a physical level. It's sickening. It's a human tumor. An ambulatory disease.

You want to look away, you shift your sight downward for a few seconds, trying to get on with your day, but the presence of the thing so close to you seems to draw your stare like a black hole. It's human - at least, it was intended to be human. The expression on the face is frozen in a permanent scowl, the dirt-colored eyes droopy and disinterested, the puffy lips pouting beneath a knobby, overhanging nose. Fleshy cheeks sag, meeting with the rolling, sweaty fat of the thing's neck and distorting the natural shape of the head into a thumblike, fatty protrusion. Two great breasts dangle uneasily overtop an enormous gut, rolling with each jiggle and breath of the thing's enormous body. Each heavy inhalation stretches the stomach to even greater proportions, casting a lengthening shadow over its prickly thighs and unmentionable nethers. The fat fingers play with some scrap of cloth; the scar-pocked complexion contrasted with the fabric's smooth uniformity only heightens the cruel reality of the thing's existence. You would almost pity a creature so universally ugly, but you can't. All you can do is hate it, and wish the thing away.

In time, your duties distract you, and you turn away from the hideous image, busying yourself with the minutiae of the day. You can sense it lurking behind you, and cannot help but cast the occasional glance backwards, catching another bewildering perspective of the gluttonous beast: the matted hair, the looming buttocks, the saggy flaps of skin creasing the back. You cannot put it out of your mind. Dizziness covers you like a dirty towel; your head spins, your teeth clench. A visceral reaction, something instinctual and deep from your very core. You hate it. You want it gone. You want to kill it, burn it, erase it. No healthy Earth should house such a perversion of nature.

When your business is done, you turn and brush past the thing on your way to a healthier environment. As you pass, in a moment of hideous contact, the flesh of your leg brushes against one of its massive, bulky protrusions. The cold glass of the mirror makes your unshaven skin pucker, and you exit the bathroom before you have to watch yourself react.

Those of you familiar with the Planescape setting from D&D, or have played the CRPG Planescape:Torment, will be familiar with the idea of Sensory Stones. For everyone else, Sensory Stones are repositories of experience; emotions, sights, smells, etc. from a situation you've been in. A person records their experience simply so that others can share that experience. They can be positive, negative, indifferent, whatever. They don't need to be extraordinary situations or even a situation at all; it could just be a thought or single sensory experience (like the taste of lobster, for example).

I thought it would be constructive if the Playground accumulated its own collection of Sensory Stones. I was inspired by sitting out and feeling lonely by a fire and wanting to share that feeling with others to alleviate the loneliness.

What I would like others to do is post their own Sensory Stones, preferably real rather than fictional, but who are we to tell the difference :smallwink: (except that a real experience, I think, will have a lot more emotion in it regardless of the writing style/quality). I will gather them anonymously, by title, here in the OP (anon because if you know who the Stone is written by, it will colour your experience of it based on your opinion/knowledge of that person) for others to peruse and enjoy at their lesiure (PM me a Stone if you wish to remain completely anon). Our Sensory Stones will not be so evocative as the ones in the Festhall in Sigil but I, for one, think I'll enjoy browsing them.

Here's a link (http://www.planewalker.com/forum/i-need-help-with-100-recorder-stones)to a list of 'Stones' set in the Planescape setting (so they're fictional).

DraPrime
2009-03-17, 04:41 PM
This is a really cool idea. Just one question. Do we write inthe first or second person?

JellyPooga
2009-03-17, 05:11 PM
This is a really cool idea. Just one question. Do we write inthe first or second person?

Up to you really...there's no rules or anything, just what you think evokes the experience best. You could write it in 1st, 2nd or 3rd person, as a poem, prose, even a picture...

DraPrime
2009-03-18, 07:50 PM
Hmmmm, I'll try to get something. And with any luck other people will start writing here.

Anuan
2009-03-18, 08:42 PM
So...how does one post anonymously?

JellyPooga
2009-03-19, 03:49 AM
If you really want it anonymous, then PM me. Otherwise, just don't read Stones that aren't in the OP. Obviously I'll know who wrote them, but others won't unless they read through the posts. As long as people post their Stones in Spoiler tags, I don't forsee problems for those that wish to 'play along', so to speak.

Anuan
2009-03-19, 04:27 AM
*Shrug* I don't really care about the anonymity. Am actually rather proud of this. Actually did it for an Adv English homework piece, but it's true.

I rise to the sound of guttural swearing
And protests of a mower or chainsaw too old
For efficient work in cold winter mornings.

I have lain in my bed for an hour or more,
Until the sound of machinery’s roar
Has told me my father has gone downstairs
And into the yard to work.

I make cornflakes and tea,
Both sweetened with honey,
As the mower downstairs
Begins its work.

I cannot see my father
Anywhere except my mind,
But the picture formed there is
Perfect as any taken with a camera.

Hunched over, too tall for the lawnmower.
His shirt is probably off,
His barrel body showing
The biggest scar I have ever seen before or since.

His hands and bulging arms red with
Perpetual sunburn and raw-rubbing
From working the railway
For too many years,

His face just as red
With heat and with swearing,
Grizzled full-beard
Seems almost too dark for his golden-brown hair.

I step out to the balcony and the mower has stopped
Replaced steady and steady by wood being chopped
By huge bulging arms with an axe held aloft
As effortless and natural as a baby with its rattle.

My mother’s at work and
My brother is hiding in his room
Much as I was moments before.
I stare at my father.

While my own breath is frosting in the air,
The man glows red and sweats as he splits
More wood than is seemingly possible,
As if he projects his own heat.

This morning I will not fear.
Today I will have his approval, so
I go down to my father and start
Hauling wood from the pile
Up to the house for the fire.

He smiles briefly and messes my hair,
Which I know he despises for nearly reaching
My chin. We work in silence until
The end, when he says ‘we’re done’ and nods.

I notice the ‘we’ that I desperately sought
And I am king of my world, for today.

JellyPooga
2009-03-19, 08:20 AM
I'm titling these by what I think is appropriate unless you provide another. If you're not happy with the title I've given it, please let me know and I'll change it :smallwink:.

So far so, good. I've enjoyed both of these new ones immensely!

SharpWolf
2009-03-19, 03:11 PM
I really like the idea. Here goes mine:

You have had a bad day. You feel tired and your mind feels dull. You have a hard time thinking straight, but even then you hold on to a single idea: you can feel better, if it is what you truly wish for.

You go into your room, close the door and open the window. A soft summer breeze comes through, bringing with it the smell of trees and flowers. You sit on the ground, your back straight as an arrow, close your eyes, and concentrate. You turn all your thoughts inwards, becoming aware of your anxious breath and heartbeat. You listen to them, feel them, become them. You let them fill your mind and start visualising a beach, with the water coming and going rythmically. You focus on the air which comes and goes from your lungs. In and out. In and out. In and out. Little by little, patiently, you become one with this flow, then slow it down until it is gently rocking you back and forth, the worries and difficulties of your life forgotten for the moment. You are at peace.

Then, turning outwards, still one with the flow, you start stretching your perceptions towards the room, then the house, then outside. On the other side of the door, you hear a comforting purr -- your cat is sleeping and you can hear its calm breath. Downstairs, there is a series of clicks with no particular rythm -- your mother is typing something on her computer, and you can hear her wonder aloud what will be the title of her next book. Outside, there is the wind, birds in the trees, and some cars are going down the street. How many, you wonder? One. Two. Three. Yes, that's it. For a time, you know that, despite all the obstacles you encountered, all is well in the world and in yourself.

Eventually, it is time for you to wake up. You open your eyes, look around, take a deep breath, then stand up. You are refreshed, and you feel a renewed strength pouring in your veins, as if you had woken up from a restful sleep. You are free. Your mind is free. So is your body. You smile. Life is good. You know no limits except that which you wish.

The world is yours for the taking, and nothing will stand between you and your dreams.

Quincunx
2009-03-25, 11:08 AM
More, please!

JellyPooga
2009-03-25, 12:06 PM
More, please!

To be honest, I was a little disappointed at the lack of response too...don't get me wrong, I loved the submissions I did get, there just weren't many of them! I'll see ask around a couple of other forums to widen my 'market' (so to speak) and any responses I get there I'll transfer to here too.

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-25, 12:44 PM
To be honest, I was a little disappointed at the lack of response too...don't get me wrong, I loved the submissions I did get, there just weren't many of them! I'll see ask around a couple of other forums to widen my 'market' (so to speak) and any responses I get there I'll transfer to here too.

You may want to get this moved into Arts and Crafts, seems it'd fit in better there.

Pop into the Shipping thread there, maybe, and make a mention, it seems a number of Playground writers either visit there or have written there.

JellyPooga
2009-03-25, 12:56 PM
You may want to get this moved into Arts and Crafts, seems it'd fit in better there.

Pop into the Shipping thread there, maybe, and make a mention, it seems a number of Playground writers either visit there or have written there.

I did consider putting this in A&C due it's literary/poetic nature, but I'm looking for peoples real experiences rather than fiction...the nature of the exercise is an exploration of the human psyche, not a gentle romp down Poetry Lane (so to speak!).

Mnemophage
2009-03-26, 12:54 AM
This is a neat thread. Where do I pick up my Sensate badge? :p

Here's a contribution. Can't let this thread pass without something monumentally depressing. So goes life, too damn often.

Loathing

It starts with a glimpse. The thing was so close, close enough to touch, but the thought of coming into physical contact with the misshapen beast is enough to make you feel dirty all over again. It's naked - you can see that quite clearly. Its bloated, pallid body glistens with unsavory moisture, beads of water rolling languidly down its fleshy rolls as if purposely defining the hideous shape. It takes no time for you to feel queasy. The fact that this thing, this sub-human monstrosity exists on an otherwise perfectly pleasant planet is disturbing down to a physical level. It's sickening. It's a human tumor. An ambulatory disease.

You want to look away, you shift your sight downward for a few seconds, trying to get on with your day, but the presence of the thing so close to you seems to draw your stare like a black hole. It's human - at least, it was intended to be human. The expression on the face is frozen in a permanent scowl, the dirt-colored eyes droopy and disinterested, the puffy lips pouting beneath a knobby, overhanging nose. Fleshy cheeks sag, meeting with the rolling, sweaty fat of the thing's neck and distorting the natural shape of the head into a thumblike, fatty protrusion. Two great breasts dangle uneasily overtop an enormous gut, rolling with each jiggle and breath of the thing's enormous body. Each heavy inhalation stretches the stomach to even greater proportions, casting a lengthening shadow over its prickly thighs and unmentionable nethers. The fat fingers play with some scrap of cloth; the scar-pocked complexion contrasted with the fabric's smooth uniformity only heightens the cruel reality of the thing's existence. You would almost pity a creature so universally ugly, but you can't. All you can do is hate it, and wish the thing away.

In time, your duties distract you, and you turn away from the hideous image, busying yourself with the minutiae of the day. You can sense it lurking behind you, and cannot help but cast the occasional glance backwards, catching another bewildering perspective of the gluttonous beast: the matted hair, the looming buttocks, the saggy flaps of skin creasing the back. You cannot put it out of your mind. Dizziness covers you like a dirty towel; your head spins, your teeth clench. A visceral reaction, something instinctual and deep from your very core. You hate it. You want it gone. You want to kill it, burn it, erase it. No healthy Earth should house such a perversion of nature.

When your business is done, you turn and brush past the thing on your way to a healthier environment. As you pass, in a moment of hideous contact, the flesh of your leg brushes against one of its massive, bulky protrusions. The cold glass of the mirror makes your unshaven skin pucker, and you exit the bathroom before you have to watch yourself react.

JellyPooga
2009-03-26, 05:18 AM
Updated OP, I also found (well, was shown) a thread over on the Planeswalker forum with a whole bunch of Stones set in the planes...they're obviously all fictional, but amusing nontheless. I've put a link to the site in the OP.

bosssmiley
2009-03-26, 06:46 AM
*ahem* Lifelogging (http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2007/02/lifelogging_an.php)

Quincunx
2009-03-26, 07:29 AM
Excellent, that lifelogging. Tastes like. . .accountability. Drapes from the hands, when you pick it up, like sanity. Mind you, deducing reality from two true sources, one of which is memory (more accurately truth = senses and memory is corruptible), gives me a headache and the beginnings of insanity.

I was keeping an eye on this thread to see the styles of non-fiction writing, on this board devoted to a fun but fictional comic. My taste runs more to a slop of literary structure atop the experience (King of my World, Violent Passion Surrogate) than to the unadorned re-telling (Lonesome, Meditation) or the first-person viewpoint heavy with authorial involvement (Loathing ((it should have been written with "I", not "you", being in the first person)) ). Still, they are all excellent evocations.

JellyPooga
2009-03-28, 05:33 AM
update (only one new one...not a lot of response from the other sites :smallfrown:)