PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) I need two good builds

Coplantor
2009-03-18, 11:29 PM
So, here I am again asking for a build, a friend of m,ine needs a new charcter since his last one fell from a tree and my brother is joining the campaign. Both of them asked me to help them creating their characters. One of them wants a dragonfire adept and I dont know much about this guys, maybe taking advantage of the fying capabilities? Anyway, what I need the most is advice on feat and invocation selection, and if there are any good multiclassing combinations out there.

Anyway, the second guy wants a "bounty hunter" character, I thought of ranger-ish. The only concept he has is that he wants to excel at melee combat. Any tips or that? Other than the two weapon fighting ranger? maybe some multiclassing or PrC?

MeklorIlavator
2009-03-18, 11:35 PM
Books? Level? Houserules?

In any case, there are a couple bounty hunterish Prc's out there(Bloodhound and Justicar, off the top of my head), but all one really needs is the feat track and the survival skill, and being good at melee can be hard for rangers. they lack heavier armors, and TWF is hard without alternative sources of damage, of which favored enemy is too unreliable for the most part. Did he give any more suggestions?

Coplantor
2009-03-18, 11:45 PM
Almost everybook from 3.5, the character will be lvl 3, but it is good to plan ahead for the rest of his levels. I thought of bloodhound. The world is full of drows so F.E. drow can be a good choice for him. And no, he didnt give more details.

About the DFA anyone?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-03-18, 11:48 PM
You could also use one of the other ranger trees: the one that gives power attack and cleave is nice.

Coplantor
2009-03-18, 11:51 PM
You could also use one of the other ranger trees: the one that gives power attack and cleave is nice.

Source please?

Keld Denar
2009-03-19, 01:17 AM
UA, and the SRD. Its called Strong Arm Ranger. Check it out at www.d20srd.com

Dragonfire Adepts are amazing in the respect that it is virtually impossible to mess them up. The only required feat is Entangling Exhalation from Races of hte Dragon, IIRC. Its 1/2s your damage, but your foe becomes Entangled, which is pretty crippling. Other than that, pick a race with a Con bonus (Dwarfs are good, or go all out with a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk for +6) and go to down. For Invocations, the Endure Elements one is almost required, since it allows your allies to ignore your friendly fire. I'm also partial to the one that emulates Solid Fog, simply because SF is my favorite wizard spell. One million and one uses for that spell.

You know what couples really well with a DFI? A Crusader. Crusader uses his crowd control abilities to keep foes away from the DFI, and the DFI uses breaths to make the Crusader's job easier. Thicket of Blades + Spiked Chain + Standstill + Entangling Exhalation means you both can lock down just about anything that moves. Also, the Crusader's healing strikes keep your survivability up. Damage output is a little low, but you should be able to outlast any foe you meet.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-03-19, 01:25 AM
Bounty Hunter, eh? Wanting to specialize in melee?

Rogue/Nightsong Enforcer with a two level dip each in Swordsage and Bloodclaw Master.

Seriously, with Bloodclaw Master, you get scenting, thus you can literally track your opponents by scent.

He can use unarmed attacks if he takes the unarmed swordsage variant, which he can choose to do subdual with and still get the sneak attack dice for subdual damage to bring in a bounty alive.

At level 3, you want Rogue1/Swordsage1/Rogue1 for a total of Rogue2/Swordsage1. You want to wait until after level 10 for the second level of Swordsage.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-03-19, 01:56 AM
The Strong-Arm Ranger combat style is actually from Dragon magazine issue 326, you can find it at Crystalkeep (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf). I'd say something like Strong-Arm Ranger 2/ Barbarian 1 starting out, take the Lion spiritual totem for Barbarian from Complete Champion, and eventually go Ranger 3/ Barbarian 2/ Horizon Walker. Use a two-handed weapon and maybe go into Ghost-Faced Killer from Complete Adventurer or some other specialty prestige class after the 6th Horizon Walker level for Shifting terrain mastery.

For the DFA get Ability Focus: Breath Attack from the back of the Monster Manual, and Entangling Exhalation from Races of the Dragon. He can spam it every round, and entangled foes move slowly and can't take a 5' step so his party will be able to flank them easily and get AoOs when they try to move. Be sure he gets the invocation that makes someone immune to his breath attack for 24 hrs. so he doesn't hit them. Flyby Attack, also from the Monster Manual, is like Spring Attack without wasting any feats if he can fly, which he should get by 6th level from invocations.

Os1ris09
2009-03-19, 08:08 PM
Okay I don't know how to help the first guy's build BUT I do know melee as far as bounty hunter and all that :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:.

One PrC I suggest is if he wants to bring them back alive and must be lawful is the Justicar from CoW. If not that then mayby Occult Slayer for out of control mages that need to be brought back also in CoW. Both of those class's to me scream bounty hunter. OR you could do a bloodhound CoA/Ranger Ranger gets all the pre reqs easy. I'll list all three builds and how I would build them

So maybe if you go all the way to 20th lvl your build could look like this with Ranger as base class:

Urban Ranger (UA) 6/Justicar 10/ Fighter 4 (or Scout 4)
1st: Track (ranger 1st)
1st: Skill Focus [gather information] (ranger 1st)
2nd: Two Weapon Fighting (ranger 2nd)
3rd: Power Attack to help with nonlethal and to help eliminate opposition (got to use that BAB for something)
3rd: Endurance (ranger 3rd)
6th: Maybe Dual Strike (CoA)
6th: Imp. Two Weapon Fighting (ranger 6)
9th: Exotic Weapon Profiency Manacles (hehe use those to hit people with no penatly)
9th: fill in (justicar 3)
12: fill in (justicar 6)
15: fill in (justicar 9)
17: Weapon Focus (manacles) [FTR 1]
18: Greater Two Weapon Fighting
18: Fill in [FTR 2]
20: Fill in [FTR 4]

Ranger 6/Scout 3/ Occult Slayer 10/ Scout 1 (in that order)
1st: Track
1st: Weapon Focus (any)
2nd: Two Weapon Fighting
3rd: Improved Initiative
3rd: Endurance
6th: Imp Two Weapon fighting
6th: Mage Slayer
9th: Pierce Magical Protection
12: Power Attack
15: Favored Power Attack (take Favored Enemy arcanist CoMage)
18th: Swift Hunter
20th: Improved Skirmisher

Ranger 5/ Bloodhound 10 this one I am doing up until 15 because its getting late sorry:smallfrown:
1st: Track
1st: Power Attack (take the favored enemy arcanist)
2nd: Two Weapon fighting
3rd: Endurance
3rd: Mage Slayer
6th: Favord Power Attack
9th: Pierce Magical Protection
12th: Combat Expertise
15th: Robilars Gambit
This build kind of combines the above build with a different twist. Instead of damage you hunt your prey by marking him and so on so forth.

Hope this helps you find that Perfect build you were looking for. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Coplantor
2009-03-19, 08:21 PM
Great! thanks for your help, I'll talk to the guy and ask him wich he he likes.

Thurbane
2009-03-19, 09:14 PM
The Justiciar (CW), Bloodhound (CAd) and Crimson Scourge (Cityscape) are all PrCs build around buinty-hunting... :smallwink:

Keld Denar
2009-03-19, 09:16 PM
Occult Slayer 10

Except OS is only a 5 level class...

Os1ris09
2009-03-19, 09:43 PM
Except OS is only a 5 level class...

LOL woops made a mistake :smallbiggrin:. Well Basically take that build and you can multiclass into another one of those PrC's or just continue to take Ranger/Scout

Starbuck_II
2009-03-19, 10:18 PM
UA, and the SRD. Its called Strong Arm Ranger. Check it out at www.d20srd.com

I don't see it either:

I see:
1) Ranger: Wild shape for Combat style
2) Ranger: Planar
3) Ranger: Urban
4) Ranger: Favored Environment

Where is this Strong arm?